Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPS to rent for my situation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPS to rent for my situation?

pingopingo Member
edited August 2012 in Help

2x Wordpress websites
1x CodeIgniter PHP Framework website

• mumble-server (murmur) / ventrilo

would 128/256mb OpenVZ plan be enough?
i was thinking nginx, php, mysql, ftp, ...

what you guys think?

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

@pingo Europe, US, Asia? And do you have a budget?

Just get an Hostigation OpenVZ. $4/mo for 256mb (512 burst), have the extra RAM just in case.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I would suggest a 256MB one, as it nearly does not make a difference in the price this days.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Yeah, I'd get a 256MB one, personally I'd go vSwap if I could, or even KVM / Xen. Hostigation would be a good start, but it depends what location you want.

• @pingo we have a $7/mon. LET special for 768MB Xen VPS, and you can't beat the specs.

We posted it here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4462/vpsnodebox.com-768mb-xen-vps-36gb-hdd-300gb-bw-512mb-swap-100mbit-4-cores-8-threads-7mo

I am not trying to peddle VPS servers, I am just trying to help @pingo out. I doubt do that he could do much better than our offer.

• Location? How many hits are your sites going? Do you need to MySQL on the same server?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@vpsnodebox said: and you can't beat the specs.

You think? I'm sure someone can. ;)

• @Infinity I am thinking of converting all my E3 nodes to dual hexa core nodes, I just don't want to disturb current customers, but yes, I could beat my won specs :P I guess the next batch of servers will be dual E5s.

I can on my KVM node. Even without pushing it a lot.

@vpsnodebox said: I guess the next batch of servers will be dual E5s

I do not think it is worth it (personal opinion). The new E3 v2 perform really nice and I think that a HDD bottleneck is more likely to happen then CPU bottleneck.

• @Alex_LiquidHost you may be right. RAID-10 doesn't really eliminate the HDD bottleneck. The good thing is that we do Xen PV, so I/O performance is decent. With KVM you can run into I/O bottlenecks much faster since it's full virtualization, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
    SolusVM is bringing KVM template support to us with version 1.12 (currently in Beta R6), so we are looking forward to that. If we can pull some decent I/O performance with KVM then we will offer KVM VPS servers, or even completely switch to KVM so that existing and future customer can run any x86 OS.

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov
  • I run a busy clan website on a 128mb ram VPS, using 17MB Ram currently with nginx, php cgi and mysql

Thanked by 1pingo
    edited August 2012

@vpsnodebox said: you may be right. RAID-10 doesn't really eliminate the HDD bottleneck. The good thing is that we do Xen PV, so I/O performance is decent. With KVM you can run into I/O bottlenecks much faster since it's full virtualization, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

SolusVM is bringing KVM template support to us with version 1.12 (currently in Beta R6), so we are looking forward to that. If we can pull some decent I/O performance with KVM then we will offer KVM VPS servers, or even completely switch to KVM so that existing and future customer can run any x86 OS.

Yeah I understand. Have you actually hit the CPU bottleneck ever on your nodes? As my KVM node is still empty (waiting on LEB offer to be posted). However when I did my KVM beta testing, I got it filled with around 40 VMs in there and didn't even come close to loading the CPU at some high percentage. Not sure how it would be in production, time will show. The IO performance however is not that good. On the filled node I was getting around 130MB/s IO with hardware RAID10, which is still good for pretty mcuh everything, as long as it does not decrease, atleast in my eyes. My main production sites actually run on around 50MB/s IO speed.

Oh and for the 1.12 release, it should be out in the middle of the following week. Spoke with them yesterday, regarding a bug in the panel.

• @Alex_LiquidHost never hit the CPU limit on our E3 Xen PV nodes, and some customers even run Minecraft and Counter Strike servers. Then again with Xen PV you can set the CPU weight which means that no one can take over the CPU at any given time. KVM wasn't really designed for Web Hosting, it's more of an Enterprise type virtualization platform. The only KVM nodes that we currently have in production are our own internal servers, about a dozen MariaDB servers ranging from 6GB to 12GB RAM and a couple of cPanel web servers that are hooked to those database servers and a DNS server. So far CPU ussage with KVM hasn't been an issue at all, and I love how easy it is to install about any OS on KVM. Maybe KVM + SSD would be the way to go? SSD caching with PCI-E cards is very expensive, way out of LEB/LET budget.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: I do not think it is worth it (personal opinion). The new E3 v2 perform really nice and I think that a HDD bottleneck is more likely to happen then CPU bottleneck.

Go back to the drawing board, a good VPS node is not just the CPU and raid10, but all the parts should be considered. When you have something very capable but a IO bottleneck is foreseen, add drives, bottleneck cleared. E3's are great for small nodes, and I did well with them over the past year and a half, but now I see them as too expensive when for a bit more than the price of 2 E3's nodes I can build a dual e5 node with enough ram and disk to get 4 E3 nodes capacity out of it. I am tired of paying Solus so much money too, so this lowers my fee to them as well.

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov

@vpsnodebox
    Not really, to achieve big space and great IO, SSD caching is the answer. Once I sort a couple of thigns out I will buy a node especially for SSD cache testing and will post some results on non-enterprise hardware and how it performs. I never had the chance to play with one before and I am really looking forward to getting it done sometime soon.

@miTgiB said: Go back to the drawing board, a good VPS node is not just the CPU and raid10, but all the parts should be considered. When you have something very capable but a IO bottleneck is foreseen, add drives, bottleneck cleared. E3's are great for small nodes, and I did well with them over the past year and a half, but now I see them as too expensive when for a bit more than the price of 2 E3's nodes I can build a dual e5 node with enough ram and disk to get 4 E3 nodes capacity out of it. I am tired of paying Solus so much money too, so this lowers my fee to them as well.

Got nothing to say about this, as you are probably right. I think I mentioned it that it was personal opinion that is based on my experience, which is far less than yours. So you've got a point on that. Cheers.

• @miTgiB you are absolutely right about E3 vs E5. SolusVM has no competition at the moment. Virtualizor is absolute garbage, and if you move up from SolusVM it's allot of money, so I'm fine with SolusVM.

• i am looking for location in EUROPE.

@asadhaider, yes i have budget. Hostigation CLT is out of order, but LAX is fine, but i don't know what this CLT,LAX means.

@vpsnodebox your servers are good but i don't need 768mb and you only probably have US locations?

@soylent 2 wordpress sites (personal blog, and some game fansite with forum), 1 custom made codeigniter php website. i am not expecting bunch of visitors. just here and there. also ventrilo or mumble (VOIP) server. Yes mysql on same server.

@joodle so it can be done? which CMS do you have for your clan website? how much resources does MySQL take for you?

• @vpsnodebox said: if you move up from SolusVM it's allot of money,

OnApp might be a lot more than SolusVM, but it's not really a lot of money. My problem with it, is it doesn't really fit my business model. If I want to sell to large enterprise clients, it would be perfect, and I could charge rates they would gladly pay, but I personally cannot work with large enterprise clients, I would have a mental breakdown, as you just can't fix stupid.

• @pingo said: @joodle so it can be done? which CMS do you have for your clan website? how much resources does MySQL take for you?

I'm using SMF, load is around 0.2 - 0.3

• AsadAsad Member

@pingo

LAX = Los Angeles, California
    CLT = Charlotte, North Carolina

@miTgiB owns Hostigation, ask him if he can do the plan you want.

• gkzgkz Member

Go with Prometeus :D

• @pingo said: Hostigation CLT is out of order

It is? I thought I was just out of stock on some of the smaller plans :) Anyway, if there is something you want, just send a ticket in and I can usually accommodate by either shuffling available plans or having something canceled but not put back into stock yet.

• You need a location in Europe, so get an IperWeb (Prometeus) VZ3. 30EUR a year.