Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultra lowend VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ultra lowend VPS?

AsimAsim Member
edited August 2012 in General

Guys, what are the ultra lowend VPSes you know of?

Im looking for something like the following

64MB memory
2GB disk
50GB transfer
KVM preferred (because I can use file-system encryption which I think is not possible in OpenVZ or at least difficult to setup)

but I have never seen a KVM so small, ideas?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can get you one 128MB KVM from my new leb offer, but not sure if you'd like a bigger one.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Alex_LiquidHost said: but not sure if you'd like a bigger one.

That's what she said.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2012

@Asim said: 2GB data transfer

50GB transfer

!?

Anyway, you could use some kind of encryption via FUSE on OpenVZ. You'll probably find a cheapy OpenVZ container before a cheapy KVM container.

• Only this OpenVz
    https://ipxcore.com/order/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
    32MB ram/32 vSwap, 2GB HDD, 20GB traffic

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • AsimAsim Member

@Alex_LiquidHost I dont mind a bigger one but I dont need. AND I am not sure how much does it cost

@jarland Unless the cost is a lot higher, I dont mind the extra memory/resources. I just want to keep the old LEA spirit up :)

@Damian Errrr, can you do that? I didn't knew. Thanks for the info. Any tutorial/doc/notes to do that

I agree that OVZ is cheaper but wanted to see if I have options in KVM.

• Take the 32mb one from ipxcore, im running it as a small VPN

• DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2012

@Asim said: Errrr, can you do that? I didn't knew. Thanks for the info. Any tutorial/doc/notes to do that

http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=25186&; can give you some ideas. Note that the forum post is from ~2009, and OpenVZ has improved.

http://www.arg0.net/encfs is an encrypted filesystem in user space that runs via FUSE.

We do have a trial period, so if you are unable to get it to work, no money is lost.

• AsimAsim Member

@bubie said: Only this OpenVz
    https://ipxcore.com/order/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
    32MB ram/32 vSwap, 2GB HDD, 20GB traffic

The order link is wrong, the correct one is in this thread (http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3384/ipxcore-32mb-openvz-vps-for-50-cents-per-month)

@Damian the stripe gateway has issues/errors "There is a problem with validating the Payment Gateway License, please check your gateway log"

• If you don't mind VZ, Prometeus also has their 50mb plan:

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=12

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Asim said: @Damian the stripe gateway has issues/errors "There is a problem with validating the Payment Gateway License, please check your gateway log"

Stripe seems to be really hit-or-miss for some reason. I'll have Adam look at it.

• I can create a KVM VPS for you in my server with 2MB Ram, 100MB Disc & 10MB Transfer. Hope that's lowend enough. :D

• AsimAsim Member

@Damian said: Stripe seems to be really hit-or-miss for some reason. I'll have Adam look at it.

Well I configured it for one client and it was fine. Agree that its pretty new and improving so hopefully it will stabilize

@biplab said: I can create a KVM VPS for you in my server with 2MB Ram, 100MB Disc & 10MB Transfer. Hope that's lowend enough. :D

lol

• @Asim,

I would suggest you to get a vps with more ram which wouldn't cost a lot more than a ultra lowend vps. Cost of that VPS will be cost of one IPV4 + cost of resource. Cost of IPV4 alone will keep the price of that vps beyond ultra lowend level.

If you are interested in working with lowend boxes, you may wish to use VirtualBox/VMware Player and create a ultra lowend vm to your satisfaction.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @biplab said: Cost of IPV4 alone will keep the price of that vps beyond ultra lowend level.

IPv4 addresses cost very little when you get them from the ARIN instead of your datacenter.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@liam said: The prometeus network is pretty good to Pakistan.

@Asim said: KVM preferred

most likely a templated install would be required with 64MB as I'm not sure a standard iso install will run in 64M ;)

• @prometeus said: most likely a templated install would be required with 64MB as I'm not sure a standard iso install will run in 64M ;)

Hey, i've run slackware on a 386 DX-40 with 4MB RAM back in the days :) Recompiling the kernel took a whole day IIRC.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: Hey, i've run slackware on a 386 DX-40 with 4MB RAM back in the days :) Recompiling the kernel took a whole day IIRC.

Brother dinosaur, time and installer changed since those days ;)

Just look at the redhat 6 minimum requirement for anaconda to run :P

• @dmmcintyre3 said: IPv4 addresses cost very little when you get them from the ARIN instead of your datacenter.

For an end user, like me, it costs more. I do not run any VPS business and IPV4 will cost money.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

Warning self promotion

OVM - 64B
    Price £7.50 / Year
    Platform OpenVZ
    64MB Dedicated Ram
    128MB Burst Ram
    5GB Diskspace
    250GB Transfer
    CPU Fair Share
    100mb Shared Port
    SolusVM Control Panel

we do that kind of package. but its not KVM.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said: Hey, i've run slackware on a 386 DX-40 with 4MB RAM back in the days :) Recompiling the kernel took a whole day IIRC.

hello brother dinosaur, as prometeus said, I also compiled slack kernel in 386 SX 20 mhz and 4 mb ram, but took much more than one day, almost 2 :P
    64 RAM might be possible with swap for some distros.
    M

Thanked by 1Asim
  • I'm also on the hunt for some ULEBs but I'm trying to find some with native IPv6 support which seems pretty hard. I already picked myself up a prometheus 50mb.

On a side note, this plane wifi is a lot quicker then I expected, now all I need is somewhere to charge my laptop. Damn 7 hour flights.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • AsimAsim Member

@liam said: @asim The prometeus network is pretty good to Pakistan.

true, I get 186ms (normally I get 280ms+ from all over the world) but their LEB (OVZ) https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=12&currency=3 is out of stock :(

edited August 2012

Shoot a pm @prometeus, I am sure he can arrange something, lately were some stability issues with the low end VPSes node rebooting every few days or so, he cut stock so will maintain very low load on it while still in tests after kernel downgrade, but will surely make an exception for LET ppl. So far did it EVERY time.
    M

Thanked by 1Asim
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@Asim, I can do it,
    $2/month,

So that I can cover the costs of the IP and PayPal Fees, $1 per IP, What the DC charges me and some cents what PayPal takes as fees.

64MB memory
    2GB disk
    50GB transfer
    KVM

• @SpeedBus said: $2/month,

@Asim didn't just fall off the turnip truck, he knows there are many places to get a 128/256 for less than that.

Thanked by 3Infinity Asim Inglar
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I have offered him 3 times more RAM for less (annual payment, however). I think @miTgiB offered even a better deal than me.

Thanked by 2Infinity Asim
  • AsimAsim Member

@Maounique I am a current customer of @prometeus and thats the first thing I did :)

He is a really nice guy plus the vps itself gives me approx 177ms on average (you dont see that with an international provider from PK; almost 99% are 250ms+)

Thanked by 1Liam
  • AsimAsim Member
    edited August 2012

@SpeedBus thanks ... it becomes like $20-$24 annually, no offense but its the same 128MB KVM pricing with half or even less the resources.

As @mitgiB mentioned, there are lots of places where I can get more resources at approx the same price.

@Alex_LiquidHost yes, I got your PM, thanks

Have the 32MB OVZ from @Damian (unrelated but just a sidenote) and im surprized to see just 2MB out of the box installation memory usage. Wow!! good job

I am beginning to wonder, we should have an UltraLowEnd tag/wiki-entry on LEB/LET

• @Asim said: I am beginning to wonder, we should have an UltraLowEnd tag/wiki-entry on LEB/LET

I think there will always be someone looking for these, but the reality is , the transaction fees from various payment processors makes this a hard sale to justify.

For yearly payments, probably not. However, I am sure most are selling these just for show, no offense @prometeus and @Damian :)
    M