Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boot failed, continue to look for Boot Media
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Boot failed, continue to look for Boot Media

ReeRee Member

I'm getting a "Boot failed, continue to look for Boot Media" error when trying to install an OS via Remote KVM on my DL170h G6 dedi.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I've got the boot order as cd, removable, hd in the bios, I've connected an .iso in the Virtual Media dialog. I've tried resetting the bios, I've tried with and without raid enabled...nothing seems to make a difference!

Comments

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

I assume nothing that looks like the IPMI virtual media shows up in the boot options in the BIOS (It's very unlikely it'll be the CD option)? We've had issues with virtual media not working at all/showing in the BIOS on HPs in the past and have resorted to using CDs.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

you need to load your virtual media ISO and reboot your dedi, then enter to bios then to boot devices , there you shall have something like IPMI Virtual CD .
    btw this is based on Supermicro server. so not sure if it's same with HP or not. but try that and see.

Mohammed H

• ReeRee Member
    edited February 2015

Correct, all I see is:

• CD/DVD
    • Removable Dev.
    • Network:IBA GE Slot...
    • Hard Drive
  • SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@Ree said:
    Correct, all I see is:

• CD/DVD
    • Removable Dev.
    • Network:IBA GE Slot...
    • Hard Drive

Looks like you might be out of luck then, your last option may be to see if you've got the latest iLO version, if not then update and try again.

• Tried rebooting (both ctrl-alt-del and power cycle) and no new option is added to the boot menu.

There is an updated firmware, but the release notes don't mention anything about virtual media changes. I guess it's worth a shot though.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Cant it be du to a corrupted ISO ?

• I've tried three different ISOs, so not too likely I don't think.
    Just updating firmware now, hopefully that'll do the trick.

• No such luck with the IPMI update...guess I'll have to see if the provider will burn a cd and install locally.

• Never had to do this with my other HP dedis with iLO, but apparently LO100 requires 5901 to be open on my client PC. After doing that, things seem to be working fine.

Credit: http://serverfault.com/a/288991