Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incorrect IP Detection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Incorrect IP Detection

Got a VPS from a provider here and setup squid on it. I've tried using Google DNS servers and not and every time I go to Google.com it loads up google.de. Looks like the IP is being incorrectly detected. Visiting whatismyipaddress.com shows the IP as US based. Anyone got a fix or know why this is happening? Thanks.

Comments

• Yeah, saw that and the page you can "report" the problem on. Thanks anyway. Was looking to see if there was anything else.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited February 2015

Not familiar with Squid but there are a few solutions here https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/873?hl=en

I would also report the problem here https://support.google.com/websearch/contact/ip they usually correct this stuff pretty fast.

Edit: Looks like ATHK beat me to it.

• OK, thanks all. I am amazed the host wasn't aware of this (yes, I contacted them).

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited February 2015

@tessel said:
    OK, thanks all. I am amazed the host wasn't aware of this (yes, I contacted them).

Honestly, it's not up to the host to detect how different systems perceive the location of the IP, I believe the location is set via the IP's provider RIPE ARIN etc. (Correct me here).

There could be a number of reasons as to why Google think's it's not in the US, previous owner reported it to be .de, previous owner used it for VPN and prefered .de .. the list goes on.

• Fact is many major providers/services will decide you're in different locations. I have a UK VPS that maxmind thinks is in the Isle of Man and Google thinks it's in Romania. Their snapshots of the IP space will never be the comparatively the same.

• @ricardo said: Fact is many major providers/services will decide you're in different locations. I have a UK VPS that maxmind thinks is in the Isle of Man and Google thinks it's in Romania. Their snapshots of the IP space will never be the comparatively the same.

What a shame this is not getting us any closer to having Scotty beaming us up, or down, using a transporter ;)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2015

It isn't! The fact that everyone's frame of reference is different can be a pain. e.g. I've used some browser automation on G/Facebook/Linkedin and their security precautions can be triggered based on where I say I am and where they think I am.

• Guys, end of the day the IPs show up as a different country in Google. That causes problems. I've seen from other posts and hosts that they know to submit IPs to get updated and reflect their location in Google properly etc. I submitted an IP myself but Google still displays the incorrect location.

• Do that and bookmark this

http://google.com/ncr

NCR - No Country Redirect

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@tessel said:
    I submitted an IP myself but Google still displays the incorrect location.

Google can take months to update the IP, if they even care to do it. I've seen reports on the LES Dallas location that have been reported more then 6 months ago.
    Being a NAT network doesn't help since google probably checks what the users behind that IP visits and act upon those visits.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am sick and tired of Google knowing better.
    That being said, many other people have obsolete databases and there are no solution for them. We had some IPs showing in algeria, holland, sweden, many other random places with less probability, but way off, anyway.
    This is not a problem for providers to fix, they must correctly register to arin, ripe, etc, the rest is the business of those database maintainers. Google makes a lot of money, could pay someone to keep databases in sync.
    They decided to trust the users or "deduct" they are cheating somehow? Their business, not that of the provider.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

We spent around 2-4k eur per year just for geolication database builds (servers, development time etc.). It's tricky to ensure proper quality especially with swip etc.

Thanked by 1Maounique

gbshouse said: We spent around 2-4k eur per year just for geolication database builds

And, of course, Google could not afford that, they need to rely on others to do their work...
    No, it is the fault of the service indicating the location wrong, not the fault of the IP space holder.

• Certainly some of the DB's don't entirely rely on the IP WHOIS, they refine location by measuring latency from several locations.

edited February 2015

ricardo said: they refine location by measuring latency from several locations.

And that is simply insane thinking how some countries are almost singlehomed and other have such monopolistic infrastructure that connecting to the neighbours across the street means going through an exchange half the world away.

• But there's no better way, right?