Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DN42- LowEndPeers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DN42- LowEndPeers

Hey guys,
If you haven't seen it already, here is DN42: https://dn42.net/Home

Decentralized network 42 (also known as dn42) is a decentralized peer-to-peer network built using VPNs and software/hardware BGP routers.

While other Darknets try to establish anonymity for their participants, that is not what dn42 aims for. It is a network to explore routing technologies used in the Internet and tries to establish direct non-NAT-ed connections between the members.

The network is not fully meshed. Dn42 hardly uses physical links between the single networks but virtual ones. These virtual links use the Internet as transport but are logically independent from it, you can treat a virtual link more or less like a fiber or copper line.[1] Everybody has a VPN connection to one or more participants.[2] The connections are bound to a public IP address. If you decide to use GRE or SIT the diactc (Diac24 Tunnel Controller) updates the public IP address of the connection endpoint on IP changes. OpenVPN is capable of doing this without external help. Over the VPN connection BGP is used for inter AS routing and by default OSPF for intra AS routing, but participants may obviously use any protocol they see fit for the purposes of routing inside of their own AS.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decentralized_network_42

Further discussion below as to your thoughts. Also, anyone want to peer?
Might be a use for your idle servers ;)

Thanks!

Comments

• Bump, is nobody interested? :(

• Looks interesting. Going to give it a try.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • I'm definitely interested.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • anything new is interesting, my only impediment is time. Thank allah then you 0xdragon for brain food.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited February 2015

@IceCream @pechspilz @ehab Follow the getting started guide then peer with me :)

• I'll peer soon...

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2015

Looks like a great project. I'll try it out later today :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @rmlhhd @Traffic Let me know! :-)

I'll build a network map for LET.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • I'll more than likely get something setup shortly.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @0xdragon: Do you have anything near NL? If yes, I'd be also interested in peering with OVPN.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited February 2015

@wych, let me know! :)

@NeoXiD I have a node in Online.net and might be getting another one, depends.

Thanked by 1david_reid
  • Stupid question: what Can we use This for?

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Netsat said: Stupid question: what Can we use This for?

Learning mostly

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited February 2015

@Netsat said:
    Stupid question: what Can we use This for?

https://dn42.net/Home#why-dn42

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

A network over the internet with own rules and encryption is a step away from snooping.
    While the concept is attractive, it does not ensure full anonymity and thus cannot be used in political fight with the regimes. But more and more similar systems will grow and the one which will get the most traction will win the love of people which value their freedom.

Thanked by 2k0nsl BeardyUnixGuy
  • @Maounique said:
    A network over the internet with own rules and encryption is a step away from snooping.
    While the concept is attractive, it does not ensure full anonymity and thus cannot be used in political fight with the regimes. But more and more similar systems will grow and the one which will get the most traction will win the love of people which value their freedom.

... Sometimes I think you just spam this because you are literally in love with it.

While other Darknets try to establish anonymity for their participants, that is not what dn42 aims for. It is a network to explore routing technologies used in the Internet and tries to establish direct non-NAT-ed connections between the members.

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

Maounique said: it does not ensure full anonymity

other Darknets try to establish anonymity for their participants, that is not what dn42 aims for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decentralized_network_42

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Alright, ready to peer.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @IceCream said:
    Alright, ready to peer.

Wow, that quickly?

0xdragon said: Sometimes I think you just spam this because you are literally in love with it.

Not really, I said it is hard to snoop upon, but not impossible to track, so, while for the start it will work as it will not be a low hanging fruit, in the long term as the clearnet recedes and police states will get more competent at snooping, it will not longer work, therefore, it is only a stop-gap measure if you wish to use it for this.
    I gave my PoV regarding the matter I know most about. If you did not wish to have a discussion about it, why the OP? Simply stating peer with me in this cool "layer8" would have been enough :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2015

I don't get it. Then again I'm not that into the routing lingo.

Count me in anyway.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • I'm also open for peering (in FR/Online.net) if anyone is interested

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Please let me know once you've got your objects in the DN42 registry and have OpenVPN and Bird (or whatever you're using) ready to setup a peering.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • I got a ASN and a /24 but kinda lost at peering part, if anyone there with a little spare time can guide me through and peer with me it'd be fantastic! I'm planning to peer from a TR or LU box.

• Probably best to join IRC on spaceboyz.net. But you need to install OpenVPN and quagga or BIRD. I recommend the latter since there's an example config on the dn42 site.
    Just apt-get install bird if you're using Ubuntu/Debian.

• pechspilz said: I recommend the latter since there's an example config on the dn42 site.

FYI: The example config for Bird won't work with Debian 7 since that version of bird doesn't support logging invalid routes or wildcard inclusion of the files in "/etc/bird/peers4" so you'll have to do that manually

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited February 2015

My bad. I just assumed it would work, I'm using Ubuntu Server 14.04.

My first peer just welcomed me to "geekhood" after setting up the first peering. I can't wait to tell my wife about this (no... I won't :-))

• Ready to peer :)

• Everyone up and running, would you mind sharing your ASN's? So we can have a list.

From ASL to ASN :)

Thanked by 2matthewvz deadbeef