Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian vs CentOS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian vs CentOS

LeoKLeoK Member

I have been working with CentOS for a couple years at a previous job. Now I am trying to consolidate various small boxes into one. Where I want to host a couple of WebSites, Seafile, Mail, FTP server and maybe a game server. Only for personal and family use. I am finding that some packages I want to use (ISPconfig) are more stable on Debian. Any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• Prefere debian for low ram vps

• Debian better for any environment.

• I vote for Debian/Ubuntu. This said, coming from CentOS, and assuming you haven't already, you might want to take a look at the new CentOS CP.

• Having used both, I prefer Debian.

• @Profforg said:
    Debian better for any environment.

Hosting shared accounts with cPanel?

• Jonchun said: Hosting shared accounts with cPanel?

If cPanel will support Debian, then yes.

• Since this is for personal use I am not going to use cPanel, I am looking at ISPconfig.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • Debian every time. If it's for personal use, check out VestaCP - which will handle your web/mail/ftp/db/etc - very nice panel.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

On Debian you can upgrade from 6 to 7 to 8 and so on without any problem with incompatibility.

on CentOS you will have to backup your stuff, reformat your VPS with new CentOS release and then restore your stuff.

I would prefer Debian with no doubt.

Mohammed

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Debian is amazing!

• Definitely recommending Debian. It's just much smoother to work with.

• Debian for sure!

• Debian is the best. Many people probably only use CentOS because of cPanel

Thanked by 3Profforg 4n0nx PremiumN
  • +Debian/Ubuntu. CentOS is bloated, requires way too many restarts for changes, and prefers security through complexity (IMHO). CentOS is really the Windows of Linux, a distribution who thinks way too much of its self.

Thanked by 2Profforg Blanoz
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

CentOS is such a resource Wh**e. +1 for Debian

Thanked by 1Profforg
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

And to answer your question, I use debian unless there is a reason not to.

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • Basically if you subscribe RedHat service then you probably better go RHEL or CentOS.

Otherwise Debian is always preferable. It's stable (for stable branch) and new (for testing branch).

• Would kind a be ironic if I said Debian...

I vote for CentOS, I'm just used to it.

• sinsin Member
    edited February 2015

Debian! Just setup a new web server and decided to switch from Wheezy to Jessie and I love it. Anytime I have tried CentOS I end up getting annoyed, reformatting, and shoving Debian or Ubuntu LTS back on :).

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • Debian :)

• LeoKLeoK Member
    edited February 2015

mikeyur said: Debian every time. If it's for personal use, check out VestaCP - which will handle your web/mail/ftp/db/etc - very nice panel.

I have used VestaCP and like it but read in some posts here that it has some security issues.

• For personal use I use Debian but for hosting best is CentOS 6 x64

• @LeoK said:
    I have used VestaCP and like it but read in some posts here that it has some security issues.

I'll be interested to see the links where you saw and read that. It is a pretty good panel IMO.

• Debian. Better with resource management. You won't need 512 MB RAM to just install the Debian.

• I use centos minimal whenever possible. But I gotta admit, debian uses much less resources compared to centos.

I am just used to centos. 3/4 of my vps are on centos while the rest are on debian.

• Definitely prefer Debian (running on nearly all my servers, just some got Ubuntu because of later packages I don't want to compile and only 1 got CentOS 6.5 for playing around with) as well because of less ram usage and apt is a lot easier than yum because of all the packages in the Debian repositories and you don't have to add an extra repo for a lot of packages.

• If you like to use ISPConfig, use Debian. There's many things with ISPConfig/CentOS that need manual fixes. And ISPConfig developers uses Debian, so there's better support with it. :)

• i am using centos mostly because it was easy to do various tasks and much cleaner to manage pkgs etc ..... I will still use centos and recommend it.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I've used both, but as I know CentOS really well, like the back of my hand I have to stick with CentOS.