Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raid 1 with hardware raid card - data loose?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raid 1 with hardware raid card - data loose?

Hello,

My main question is.. Possible or any chance to loose all data with raid 1 and with hardware raid card? I know everything is possible but.. not so usually this.

Comments

• If both hard drives fail at the same time, yes, all data will be gone.

• Yes, if your machine explodes then there is some chance that you have some data loss.

• @joodle said:
    If both hard drives fail at the same time, yes, all data will be gone.

Well.. thats bad thing.

@TheLonely said:
    Yes, if your machine explodes then there is some chance that you have some data loss.

Well , yes servers not like TNT's.

• Raid 1 requires 2 disks+
    Raid 10 requires 4 disks+

Say you have 4 disks in RAID1 and 3 fail all you data is still on the remaining disk
    Now say you have 4 disks in RAID10 and 3 fail you have data loss as only 50% of the files will be on that disk.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Raid 1 requires 2 disks+
    Raid 10 requires 4 disks+

Say you have 4 disks in RAID1 and 3 fail all you data is still on the remaining disk
    Now say you have 4 disks in RAID10 and 3 fail you have data loss as only 50% of the files will be on that disk.

At tis time ony 2 disk 2x2TB.

• Raid is for redundancy, should always have backups of important data. And not on the same server.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2015

RAID1 usually makes the chance of loosing data 100 times less compared to single drive. There is no setup that can guarantee that there will absolutely never be any data loss. It's always about increasing the nines in the probability of staying safe.

• If you do not have a spare and the card fails and you can't get another one exactly the same then as far as I know you will not get your data back.

Hw raid card manufacturers are consolidating/losing money so being able to continue to purchase backwards compatible raid hardware is not a given these days imho.

• @AshleyUk said:
    Raid is for redundancy, should always have backups of important data. And not on the same server.

This. Backups are always needed, whether you use RAID or not. RAID is not a substitute for backups.

Thanked by 1ItsChrisG
  • @sman said:
    If you do not have a spare and the card fails and you can't get another one exactly the same then as far as I know you will not get your data back.

Hw raid card manufacturers are consolidating/losing money so being able to continue to purchase backwards compatible raid hardware is not a given these days imho.

Online.net so.. there should be a new raid card :)

• a) define "lose all data", i.e. how do you know that? Sounds stupid but isn't. That impression could also be due to the controller card failing.

b) online.net? I might be wrong but my suspicion is that all 3, the system, the raid card, and the disks were already (heavily?) used before you ever touched that server.
    Considering what I've learned about their "support", I guess your data are lost anyway. Sorry.

• edited February 2015

well to prevent loose data... you need to make sure that your HDDs are as close to each other as possible... maybe wrap some duct tape around them to make them as tight as you can... oh yeah and defrag them ofc....

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

RAID 1/10 is not bullet proof. In few circumstance "data recovery" will be the hell if something corrupted. Also use offsite backup's for dedi/vps

• RAID cards can also fail. I have met some that have decided to write tonnes of corrupt data to the drives and crap themselves without you knowing.

• RAID isn't a replacement for backups, make sure you understand that.

• @bsdguy said:
    b) online.net? I might be wrong but my suspicion is that all 3, the system, the raid card, and the disks were already (heavily?) used before you ever touched that server.
    Considering what I've learned about their "support", I guess your data are lost anyway. Sorry.

And they will replace the whole server even if only one hard drive fails.
    So you have to backup your data and transfer it to the new server.
    This sucks.
    A good provider will just replace the broken drive.

• In my case, they replaced the disk and not the whole server...