Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If it looks like fraud, its probably fraud....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If it looks like fraud, its probably fraud....

pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
Hello,
I am interested in dedicated server with min specs as follow:
RAM 2-4 GB
HDD 250-400 GB
centOS 6 64 bit
unmanaged no cPanel
4-5 functional IP's
Monthly payment.
I can take some similar default server, or if you can, customize this order for me.

Thank you.

Just received this as a ticket, We don't specifically do dedicated systems, more high-storage VPS's and Whenever I get things like this they turn out to be a waste of time.

Spammers, Fraud, etc

Do orders like these look dodge to you too, or just me? :/

Comments

• If you don't actually offer that service, then yeah, it's sketchy. Unless it's a question like "hey, do you guys do dedicated servers?" - and even then, I'd only trust that from existing clients who need an upgrade.

Send them to the WHT dedi offers section, let someone else deal with them.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Yeh, its the wording that I find odd, 2-4GB.. Dedicated with 250-400GB storage? Similar Default server....

• Spammer

Thanked by 3pbgben TriDoxiuM GCat
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

said: Do orders like these look dodge to you too, or just me? :/

I am not seeing what's "Fraud" about this. Why couldn't you simply answer "sorry we don't do dedicated servers", why freak out and run to LET to publish contents of a private request?

pbgben said: that I find odd, 2-4GB..

And?

Dedicated with 250-400GB storage?

And?

Similar Default server....

Just a non-native English speaker, they mean if you already have some stock plan that's similar in specs to what they're asking (and you're just nitpicking).

One thing to conclude from this thread, is people shouldn't ever try asking you for a custom deal, else you may freak out randomly and post it all over LET with spam/scam accusations.

@rm_ said:
    I am not seeing what's "Fraud" about this. Why couldn't you simply answer "sorry we don't do dedicated servers", why freak out and run to LET to publish contents of a private request?

I sent them here to find what they are looking for, and its hardly private.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Are they from PredictLabs?

@adxn said:
    Are they from PredictLabs?

No

Before few days someone with same config came to me but I was not aware that they were spammers. and after 12 days I started to receive Spam reports from my Provider, Before giving them the server I even asked them what is the use of this server. And they said to host voip service.

• Looks to be one of the standard spammer request templates. Lots of threads on almost identical requests seen over the years.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Why fraud? Which purposes?

• Was going to question this, 2-4GB RAM, 200-400GB HDD is normal, I even ask questions like this just for guidelines but hey ho if you don't want to serve them then fair doo's I guess.

• Let me guess, equinoxservers? I sold him that server for $300/mo :p

Thanked by 1GCat
  • And yes, he'll use it for ddossing, suspended his server but continues to pay :D

Thanked by 1GCat
  • cassa said: continues to pay :D

How nice of him.

Thanked by 1GCat

cassa said: Let me guess, equinoxservers?

They keep spamming my mail daily they are aware that I have cancelled their server but still they keep asking to cancel server.

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • server1.equinoxservers.com

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We receive tens of these a month. There are variations, like a VPS.
    I simply reply we dont do dedicated offers or custom VPS unless custom KVM or OVZ and IWStack. No other problem, but it gets annoying to be bombarded with templated mails.

• Why not offer his a KS1 but with 1 IP

• Usually it comes with:

"Hello,

We are a legitimate U.S company blah blah, we would need a server with 10 IP"

Very often they are really registered as company and what they do is not illegal, it's just trash.

• pbgben said: and its hardly private.

Good to know that BIGvps does not consider tickets private.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

said: Whenever I get things like this they turn out to be a waste of time.

you should reply to ticket . saying you wont offer dedicated server or even you can refer someone in LET offering dedi

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

adxn said: And they said to host voip service.

There was a guy recently, asking for a server with unlimited bandwidth, for VoIP, is it the same?

netomx said: There was a guy recently, asking for a server with unlimited bandwidth, for VoIP, is it the same?

Not sure about that.

She placed an order from an Ukraine IP but she used an US Address so I went and checked her history at FraudRecords and then I came to know that she was a well known spammer.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Rent extra IPs only annually. It greatly helped us.

Thanked by 1Dustlab
  • The client you are talking about above contact(s) nearly every host out there asking the same thing. And also sends out fraudulent documentation I would suggest that you Avoid the Individual who is doing this..

• NodePingNodePing Member
    edited February 2015

I've often sent requests similar to this to providers in locations we'd like to have probe servers for our monitoring service but usually only if their site says "custom plans available - contact us" or the like. I had no idea it was so frowned upon. It does explain why I sometimes don't get replies.

Then again, I've become customers with some of our best providers this way.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • smansman Member
    edited February 2015

I find that when the first question is something like "how much for a server" with not nearly enough information to just throw out a number that is almost guaranteed waste of time.

• They're still doing this, so make sure your sales team knows to keep an eye out.

We just received several very similar orders, each for one physical dual-core dedicated server, running CentOS 6 x64, with 500 GB of storage, 4 GB of RAM, without cPanel, fully self-managed, each server to be assigned 5-8 IP addresses, with British English spelling (i.e., "organisation" instead of "organization", etc), each customer wanting to pay monthly, via PayPal, with no quarterly, semi-annual or annual contract.

When asked what they needed 5-8 IP addresses for, they respond variously with "VoIP", "SSH" or "Video Conferencing", but then, they request Reverse DNS... which, of course, they wouldn't need for any of the above applications.

All of the web sites tied to the domains originating these e-mails claim to be Hosting and Managed Services Companies, but the web sites are of very low quality, looking 10 years old, built off of templates, some with spelling mistakes. None of them even have an SSL Certificate, much less an Extended Validation SSL Certificate.

Requests were received this past week from the following domains:

onlineindustries.net
      telecomproduction.com
      realworksolutions.com

Excerpts from their E-Mails (names removed):

My name is ----------- and I am from the Realwork Solutions organisation. I need one Physical Dedicated server (No VPS/VDS), on monthly basis having a min. of 4 GB RAM and with a disk space of 500 GB HDD. Also note that I do not want any Cpanel and that want Cent OS 6.5 64 bit installed with 1 TB bandwidth. Finally, I want a dual-core processor and a min. of 5 IPv4 usable IPs on the server.

Hello
      Can you provide this brief specs?
      Dedicated physical server:
      dual-core CPU
      4 GB RAM or more
      500 GB HDD or more
      5 IP's
      CentOS 6 64bit unmanaged, without cpanel
      monthly contract's period and payment (no 3 months, no 6 months and etc.)
      PayPal payment

(responding on a specification sheet)
      Can I order this server with 8 IPs and pay invoice with PayPal?

Each spammer was sent the following courteous reply (feel free to use it as well):

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us for assistance with your needs.
      Unfortunately, your hosting request has matched one of our Federal spammer profiles.
      As a result, we cannot do business with you.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I always love it when they send you an email asking you to spec out a server when they could have just done it online.

Thats the first sign

• confidentiallity - doesn't exist

Thanked by 1MCHPhil