Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS Version 6.0 Coming Soon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS Version 6.0 Coming Soon

HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=98138

The real benefit of the new frontend will be seen through the power of how modules (and hooks) can shape the user experience, and once the beta period opens, we'll be opening up communication channels for developers to get in contact with us and discuss the best ways in which they can take advantage of that new functionality. We also have a few surprises up our sleeves so stay tuned for those. :)

>

But Version 6.0 is about much more than just a new frontend. This is a huge deal for us.

>

It marks the culmination of a year of hard work, with considerable behind the scenes investment in new technologies and new code, setting the stage for us to ramp up and continue delivering an ever improving quality of product to our users at an even more rapid pace. I will touch on just a few of these here.

>

Composer is just one of a number of really good advancements to come along for PHP development community in recent years. Created by Nils Adermann and Jordi Boggiano, Composer allows us to utilise components and libraries from other projects and frameworks, which allows us to significantly reduce development time, whilst ensuring we're using quality tried and tested code, as well as giving developers, who work with WHMCS, code and API's that they will likely be familiar with. So far we're using components from Symfony, Laravel and a number of other specific packages used throughout the PHP community for their stability and power.

>

Next on the list was future planning for the deprecation of PHP's original MySQL functions, and with that in mind, we made the decision to commit to using Models driven by an ORM. After much testing and debate internally, we settled on using the Laravel Eloquent ORM aka Illuminate Database. This makes interacting with the database much easier, and will hugely simplify working with the WHMCS backend database in add-ons, custom reports, and many other ways.

>

PHP Version requirements is another big issue. PHP is a modern enterprise language that has been consistently providing more advanced features, stability, and security to its developers, and we intend to take full advantage of it. For 6.0, we announced mid-way through last year that PHP 5.3 would be the minimum requirement to run WHMCS 6.0. We really wanted to make this 5.4, but we appreciate that a significant percentage of our users are still running on PHP 5.3 (and even 5.2 in some cases), and that sometimes there are factors that make upgrading PHP difficult. Moving forward however, our PHP support will be much more aligned to that of the official PHP project, so just a little heads up on that.

Thoughts?

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

As long as it's been done correctly this will be a good improvement.

• Looking forward to this.

• Damn it, i hate new WHMCS versions.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    Damn it, i hate new WHMCS versions.

Why?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yeah new WHMCS releases are often met with trepidation. Fear of finding some essential function broken after updating.

Thanked by 2jmginer Maximum_VPS
  • PHP 5.3 is not even "supported" anymore by PHP and 5.4 will stop receiving updates in about six months (September 2015). Everybody running either version should update ASAP and I don't think WHMCS should be supporting those versions. They seem to be making great progress code-wise for a change and old (unsupported) PHP versions should not be holding that back.

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • jbiloh said: Why?

Because a lot of the customizations we made would break and need to be made again.

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

mpkossen said: I don't think WHMCS should be supporting those versions.

@rds100 said:
    Because a lot of the customizations we made would break and need to be made again.

+1.

• Laravel is really bad choice.

• @alexvolk said:
    Laravel is really bad choice.

Why?

• Laravel is excellent, but I don't trust these people to use it properly

Thanked by 2GIANT_CRAB JahAGR
  • @alexvolk said:
    Laravel is really bad choice.

They're only using Laravel components (their ORM, for example), as they are using Symfony components. This choice in itself it definitely not a bad one and seems to become more popular over tying yourself to a single framework; the choice for Laravel, well, that's up to anyone's liking.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of Laravel's coding style (for instance: too much static), but I believe the code itself is good, well-documented, secure, and well-maintained. It's not like VestaCP where it's just one big unmaintainable, undocumented mess of index.php files.

• @Wintereise said:
    Laravel is excellent, but I don't trust these people to use it properly

Well, using Laravel's ORM should tackle the many (if memory serves me right) SQL injections they've had over the years, so I definitely applaud the move. Unless they go edit the components, which I doubt, as that'd probably mess up Composer.

• Why not codeigniter... ;p

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

So I read that as, the front end will change as with the update from 4 > 5 you will lose features but it will look nice, oh and we are going to make it harder for integration for 3rd party modules and when you ask for support we will send you to modules garden.

did I miss anything?

• AnthonySmith said: did I miss anything?

Pretty much what I took away from it.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

No matter which framework is used , in the end if not properly coded its useless.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • I'm sure flushing out all those one time paid licenses has absolutely nothing to do with it ;) .

• smansman Member
    edited February 2015

@mpkossen said:
    PHP 5.3 is not even "supported" anymore by PHP and 5.4 will stop receiving updates in about six months (September 2015). Everybody running either version should update ASAP and I don't think WHMCS should be supporting those versions. They seem to be making great progress code-wise for a change and old (unsupported) PHP versions should not be holding that back.

Not that simple. 5.3 is the standard version in RHEL/CentOS 6. Upgrading it tends to breaks things. So then the next most practical thing is to upgrade the OS. Not only is that a much bigger deal but RH/CE 7 isn't quite ready for wide scale deployment. You aren't going to convince most people to switch to Ubuntu just to get a newer version of php either.

• Inhouse systems are ways better...

• @BharatB said:
    No matter which framework is used , in the end if not properly coded its useless.

True but you use it? Aren't you even a little concerned if that's how you see WHMCS code?

• Looking forward to the new look.

• @sman said:
    Not that simple. 5.3 is the standard version in RHEL/CentOS 6. Upgrading it tends to breaks things. So then the next most practical thing is to upgrade the OS. Not only is that a much bigger deal but RH/CE 7 isn't quite ready for wide scale deployment. You aren't going to convince most people to switch to Ubuntu just to get a newer version of php either.

I suppose there's plenty of repositories that offer updates RHEL/CentOS packages for PHP, just like there are for Debian/Ubuntu. Besides that, compiling PHP yourself isn't that hard either. It may be a little work to iron our some dependencies, but you get better performance and more security in return.

• I look forward to seeing this :)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    So I read that as, the front end will change as with the update from 4 > 5 you will lose features but it will look nice, oh and we are going to make it harder for integration for 3rd party modules and when you ask for support we will send you to modules garden.

did I miss anything?

Please no. Their support is always so awful :(

• @TheLonely said:
    Inhouse systems are ways better...

That is until you start to open it up to the world of Internet..........

• @wcypierre said:
    That is until you start to open it up to the world of Internet..........

Uhm why?

• @TheLonely said:
    Uhm why?

Because it will get hacked the moment it is up on public?

• @wcypierre said:

Will it really?

• @wcypierre said:

Euhm no... Verify every parameter that is used. Use sha256 for passwords, encode every sql entry, secure your server with SSH keys + non default port, only allow localhost for your MySQL server or use SQLite etc...