Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Mail Servers: A brief review of 4 free mail servers you can install on a VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free Mail Servers: A brief review of 4 free mail servers you can install on a VPS

Comments

• Zimbra is great mail server open source alternative!. Thanks For your information.

• @Umair said:
    `

I have just got rid of a dedi (to cut costs of-course). I am in the process of creating some VMs in another dedi where I will be moving all my websites.

You can have a demo of our zimbra mail service at: https://gtmail.plugnpost.com/
    username : [email protected]
    password: demouser

• thank you for this list, Xeams is perfect

• Open xchange anybody?

• @mashokk369 said:
    Open xchange anybody?

Open-xchange is unstable. Also it's a memory hog.

• mashokk369 said: You can have a demo of our zimbra mail service at: https://gtmail.plugnpost.com/ username : [email protected] password: demouser

Is this the free open source zimbra ? what's the RAM and cores VPS config ? thanks

• mashokk369mashokk369 Member
    edited February 2015

@KeyJey said:
    Is this the free open source zimbra ? what's the RAM and cores VPS config ? thanks

Yes

If you are asking the demo server, It is a dedicated server. e3 1230v2 16Gb

• Yeah, goes fast. Very nice ! I like Zimbra ....

• Umair said: I have not heard of them before. And they don't seem to have any pricing info on their site. If you do get any pricing info, please do let us know :)

I sent them an email but didn't get any response from them. Since they are spanish (and I'm spanish also) I'll call them tomorrow to get this information.

Regarding Axigen, the minimum offer they have (not listed in the official store, puntual offer, they said) for ActiveSync is this:

"You would have to buy a Business Messaging license and the ActiveSync Addon would only be available for Premium Users.
    Currently we have a special offer (not present in our online store) of 100 Active Sync users addons for 350 EUR (no smaller than 100 users pack sorry).
    This would mean that 100 Premium Business Messaging + ActiveSync would cost you 916 EUR yearly or 0.77 EUR per mailbox with ActiveSync per month. "

Not bad ... what do you think ?

• mashokk369 said: You can have a demo of our zimbra mail service at: https://gtmail.plugnpost.com/ username : [email protected] password: demouser

http://snag.gy/h6VDw.jpg

LOL xDDDDDD

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • dnwkdnwk Member

how about to include cellphone sync in the comparison?

• Are you going to include Flockport Mail Server in your roundup? There are 1000's of iredmail reviews already.

Thanked by 2jar pepa65
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Straykat said:
    Are you going to include Flockport Mail Server in your roundup? There are 1000's of iredmail reviews already.

Well iRedMail, for example, is an actual developed panel that uses standard services. Flockport is container, and the mail server app is just Posfix, Dovecot, and Vimbadmin. It would be like comparing cPanel to a LAMP stack. That said, this is interesting. I'd never heard of Flockport before. Looks like an interesting LXC implementation. Thanks for sharing :)

• @Straykat I am testing the last couple of weeks an installation of ViMbAdmin do give you my next set of review. But I will give some time to test Flockport Mail Server, too. As @Jar, I also didn't have heard of Flockport. Drop an eye in their website and seem interesting as a whole idea.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • @jvnadr have you tried Kolab ?

• No, but as I saw, it is much more than a mail server and it is integrated with roundcube. It seem interesting, as they say in their first page that it can run in a RPi, so, it is lightweight... Did you ever tried it?

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jvnadr said:
    No, but as I saw, it is much more than a mail server and it is integrated with roundcube. It seem interesting, as they say in their first page that it can run in a RPi, so, it is lightweight... Did you ever tried it?

It's really good, though the directory login aspect for the control panel may confuse your more average users.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • Jar said: It's really good, though the directory login aspect for the control panel may confuse your more average users.

In my to-do list! I'll give it a try.

• @jvnadr i use it in a production environment (around 67 user) 19 months and not 1 single problem.
    its very lightweight, i don't even notice its resource uses on the server.

• Very interesting @Scottsman, I'll keep an eye there too ! with Axigen are most interesting projects I've seen at the moment to test in the next weeks !

Thanked by 1Scottsman
  • @jvnadr I installed Axigen in Centos 6 64bit and was extremelly easy to install, just 5 minutes for getting it up and running ! I guess it's a debian issue .... probably they work with centos ?

Now I'm messing with the license coz added one domain before the license and now some conclicts ..... but very happy, and very fast GUI, apart that is totally FULL EQUIP!

Very very happy with it ! :)

• earlearl Member

Looks like a fun project to try.. Not sure how I missed this thread back in Feb.

• Iredmail is a awesome host in a box solution.

But given that you cannot setup mail redirecting a little pita.

• Axigen is good in UI and general management interface, but I had hard time with its SPAM control, it doesn't learn easily what is spam and what is not. Ultimately the client moved to Google Apps because of SPAM!

I have a license lying around if someone is interested, it is not transferable IMO but I presume you can just use license to register your Axigen 8.x install. You can have unlimited domains but its weirdly restricted to 100 mailboxes in total.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • KeyJey said: I installed Axigen in Centos 6 64bit and was extremelly easy to install, just 5 minutes for getting it up and running ! I guess it's a debian issue .... probably they work with centos ?

i am also happy with the free version of Axigen. It is my primary email server of my news portal.

mehargags said: Axigen is good in UI and general management interface, but I had hard time with its SPAM control, it doesn't learn easily what is spam and what is not. Ultimately the client moved to Google Apps because of SPAM! I have a license lying around if someone is interested, it is not transferable IMO but I presume you can just use license to register your Axigen 8.x install. You can have unlimited domains but its weirdly restricted to 100 mailboxes in total.

It is a bit hard to configure it for spaming, because it needs manual configuration to meet your needs. But that is good, because it does not work like gmail or other biggies that they decide what the mail server will reject without you can decide that. I have lost several emails with gmail and hotmail because of their more and more strict policies.

As of the 100 limit, I think it is fair for a commercial project. An average user will need no more than 100 mailboxes. More of that is probably bussiness, so, they should pay or chose a freeware mail server.

clamhost said: But given that you cannot setup mail redirecting a little pita.

If it was control panels, I would say iredmail is like a limited version of VestaCP. Basic in functions, but easy to install an work it. Axigen is like virtualmin. Tons of feature, easy to install but maybe not for a noobie.

Thanked by 2KeyJey pepa65
  • CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

Thanks for the share!

• AeneAene Member

Thanks for the great review. I've been using ViMbAdmin(and Jar :) for email, but Axigen and Kolab looks interesting. One question though. I signed up on the Axigen page roughly 9 hours ago to download the free version for testing. But this far I have not received any license. Am I doing something wrong? Looks like my install is in trial mode at the moment. If you run the free version, how long did it take to get the license?

• @Aene I received it immediately. Maybe you shouyld try to register again, search your spamfolder or use a different email account to receive the key.

Thanked by 1Aene
  • AeneAene Member

@jvnadr said:
    Aene I received it immediately. Maybe you shouyld try to register again, search your spamfolder or use a different email account to receive the key.

Thanks! But it seems like just another case of me being silly and not having English as primary language. I mixed up the register for download with the register for a license pages. Once I completed the license registration I got it within a few minutes.

• @Aene I had to wait for about 30 minutes for the licence wellcome email ... try to sign in again with another email account, I don't think u'll be getting that email after that long time ......

Anyway, I had a lot of issues with Axigen site, some timeouts with the download navigation, very slow welcome email reception .... etc.

Anyway, not worrying me, since it's just a sitte issue, nothing else.