Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to access BGP anywhere for free? / IPv6 block anyone? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible to access BGP anywhere for free? / IPv6 block anyone?

Comments

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Charge an annual fee of €0 ;-) This statement is for real independent resources.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2015

Provider independent resources include autonomous system numbers, provider independent IPv4 address assignments, anycast assignments, provider independent IXP IPv6 address assignments, and all future provider independent resource assignments to End Users.

Though i guess a LIR could fix the yearly fee to 1 EUR or something, if they wish so. But probably RIPE will again start charging LIRs for ASNs from the next year. IIRC it was 50EUR/ASN/year before.

Theres only a discussion on the mailinglist about that, nothing has been decided. Had a contract with €0 with no problems. There is an explicit statement that AS Numbers are excluded from any fees.

Theres only a discussion on the mailinglist about that, nothing has been decided. Had a contract with €0 with no problems. There is an explicit statement that AS Numbers are excluded from any fees.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

So I cannot get the PI for free from RIPE as I'm not a LIR even though I have my own ASN? The thought was to have my own address space that I can take with me, thus not needing to use HE's address space. I understand there is a cost for the paperwork of getting an ASN but if PI space from RIPE is free, why pay yearly?

• PI space is not free, RIPE charges 50EUR+VAT (if applicable) for each PI object.

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

@tomle said:
    So I cannot get the PI for free from RIPE as I'm not a LIR even though I have my own ASN? The thought was to have my own address space that I can take with me, thus not needing to use HE's address space. I understand there is a cost for the paperwork of getting an ASN but if PI space from RIPE is free, why pay yearly?

The ASNs are free (but only a LIR can request them). The LIR must pay 50 EUR per year per PI object.

Nobody can get PI for free

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Cool, got it

• shafireshafire Member
    edited February 2015

I have interest in IPv6 PI space! Can I get a /48 and route them as /64 to different servers via Tunnelbroker?

What's the difference (except transferability) in getting PA or PI, if both use tunnels anyway?

Is there something to read up about this topic?

edited February 2015

A /48 can only be routed to one location. You cant route a /64 as /48 is the minimal size for BGP in the internet.

PI can be used for your own infrastructure, but should not be used for customers if they need more than one IP address.

edited February 2015

If you need to have PI space for multiple locations with no layer 2 connection between, that's justification enough for a second /48 from them.

You don't have to use a tunnel. PA (ALLOCATED-BY-RIR) is for ISPs, PI (ASSIGNED PI) is for end users.

• shafireshafire Member
    edited February 2015

@rauppe31 SinaVPS looks good.

I do not fully understand it right now.

I need following:

• AS number
    • PI Space
    • A provider, who wants to take care of the routing
    • BGP Tunnelbrokers (HE and NetAssist)

Why do I need a tunnelbroker? Can the provider not take care of the routing? Sorry for the stupid question.

If I get a AS number from you, am I bound to you? What happens, if you go bankrupt or do not want to provide any services anymore?

Thanked by 2rauppe31 Gunter
    edited February 2015

You don't need an AS Number if your provider takes care of routing. If your ISP at home can do that, you don't need tunnelbroker, too.

I think your home ISP won't do that, so you need to use a tunnel (like a vpn) to peer with Hurricane Electric to announce your own address space.

• I see, so I need either "A provider, who takes care of the routing" or "An AS number and BGP Tunnelbrokers". Is that correct?

edited February 2015

With an AS Number, you can choose who your Upstream is. So you either could choose Hurricane Electric (tunnelbroker) via VPN, or any other native provider, or both (then you have a multihoming setup, that means you have a failover if any of your upstreams is failing)

If you don't own an AS Number and let your ISP route the network, you cannot switch upstreams yourself or change things in the routing. Also, no multihoming is possible.

The problem is here that you can only use your own IP space with tunnelbroker if you own an AS number - HE won't just route the network for you,

Thanked by 1lmerino
    edited February 2015

@shafire said:
    rauppe31 SinaVPS looks good.

>

If I get a AS number from you, am I bound to you? What happens, if you go bankrupt or do not want to provide any services anymore?

No, you can move to a new sponsoring LIR whenever you want.
    If I got bankrupt (what I don't hope) you can also just move your ASN to a new LIR.

@shafire said:
    I see, so I need either "A provider, who takes care of the routing" or "An AS number and BGP Tunnelbrokers". Is that correct?

Yes, that's right.

• Can anyone here point to a good tutorial on all these practical aspects/requirements re own ASN and IP space plus BGP routing, both with respect to IPv4 and IPv6?

• tomle said: Cool, looking at dn42 now as well.

So does anyone on DN42 want to peer?

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    So does anyone on DN42 want to peer?

Depends on where your server sleeps... If you're near NL, message me.

• @NeoXiD said:
    Depends on where your server sleeps... If you're near NL, message me.

Does that really matter?

Unless you are planning to do something latency sensitive over the network I can't see it having much of an impact regardless of his server is 2ms or 500ms away.

• I would also like to peer with anyone interested. :-)

• I'd need to set it up again as I had it on my home router but then wasn't using it so removed it.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@dragon2611 said:
    Unless you are planning to do something latency sensitive over the network I can't see it having much of an impact regardless of his server is 2ms or 500ms away.

Not nice to send traffic around half the globe if not needed - let's try to peer close to each other

• @tomle said:
    Not nice to send traffic around half the globe if not needed - let's try to peer close to each other

It really doesn't make much difference in the context of DN42, if the network you want to exchange traffic is on the other side of the planet regardless of if they're directly peered with you or not it's still going to have to go the same distance.

Also if you are peered with multiple users BGP should pick the best available path to the destination anyway.

• dragon2611 said: Also if you are peered with multiple users BGP should pick the best available path to the destination anyway.

Uh, partly, it will use the shortest L3 path - Which is the same for all as they are directly connected.

• No it's not, only your peers are directly connected, the rest of DN42 will be reachable via those peers.

Well providing they don't firewall it off.

It will use the shortest AS-Path. If you're peering with AS1 (1000 km from you), and you can reach AS1 via AS2 (1km from you), it will choose the direct way as the path "AS1" is shorter than "AS2 AS1".