Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Softether on VPS Local Bridge + IPv6 HOW TO?

Softether on VPS Local Bridge + IPv6 HOW TO?

ChuckChuck Member
edited February 2015 in Help

Can someone write a Debian guide how to setup Softether on VPS Local Bridge + IPv6?

Comments

• NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

Check this out : http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/903498/#Comment_903498

This is actually my comment on the Adblock in VPN post. It has my config for dnsmasq and softether init file. Though it's for tap bridge...

I never turn down help on improving my Nginx Configuration Template ;)
    NameSilo.com coupons: CheapDoms or Discounted

• There are many guides for Local Bridge + IPv4. But not a single guide for Local Bridge + IPv6? Interesting.

• You wanna forward a IPv6 port to v4?

Socat is amazing for port forwarding v4 to v6 and vise versa

Different.

• The question is not clear :D If you just wanna connect your IPv6 softether setup, use the dynamic dns they provide. I think they claimed it even works with NAT. So you're good to go.

If you want to connect IPv4 sites on your IPv6 only VPS, setup a 6to4.

If you want to have an IPv6 address on your client when you are connected to softether, use my config filed above. ...

Other than that I can't generate any more meanings to that question.
    I know, I should've slept...

• @Nomad said: The question is not clear :D If you just wanna connect your IPv6 softether setup, use the dynamic dns they provide. I think they claimed it even works with NAT. So you're good to go.

If you want to connect IPv4 sites on your IPv6 only VPS, setup a 6to4.

If you want to have an IPv6 address on your client when you are connected to softether, use my config filed above. ...

Other than that I can't generate any more meanings to that question.
    I know, I should've slept...

This guide Local Bridge + IPv4. I want Local Bridge + IPv6.

http://blog.lincoln.hk/blog/2013/05/17/softether-on-vps-using-local-bridge/

• Sooooo..

Did you even check my config files? I do use Softether with tap_softether bridge and IPv4 (10.0.0.0 network) AND IPv6 (HE.net tunnel)

• Ok...

I give up. I tried installing Softether on a LES machine. This is my first time using a NAT IPv4 machine.

I connected, Installed Softether and Dnsmasq. Edited iptables and sysctl for routing rules.

Then connected to VPN by the external IPv4 and the IPv6 I had.

No problem till now. It connects to the Internet just OK. But it is using the host machine's IP Address.

I tried to make IPv6 also work but I couldn't succeed. Nor could I setup a Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel. Though the same tunnel setup was working on my old OpenVZ vps and yes, I had Tun/Tap enabled. I remember why I don't like OpenVZ.

So in summary, Softether ran on a IPv6 only VPS but uses only the IPv4. Or I was lacking the necessary knowledge to set it up.

If you want though I can guide you through how to setup and connect to it even if it's only IPv4...

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited February 2015

@Nomad

Same thing. I thought I'm crazy. I have tried like 10 diff ways (fresh install every time).

Like I said before. I know how to do:

Local Bridge + IPv4

SecureNAT + IPv4

SecureNAT + IPv6

I DON'T know how to do:

Local Bridge + IPv6

• Well, as long as it has NAT IPv4 and has a working external IPv4, I did manage to get it work...

But not for pure IPv6 ones. Well, they might work but I don't have IPv6 without a VPN to start with, so I can't test it. Even if they work, they'll only route IPv6 traffic, leaving you without IPv4. So I don't see any profit there.

But for now, Local Bridge + NAT IP + IPv6 works.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @Nomad said: Well, as long as it has NAT IPv4 and has a working external IPv4, I did manage to get it work...

But not for pure IPv6 ones. Well, they might work but I don't have IPv6 without a VPN to start with, so I can't test it. Even if they work, they'll only route IPv6 traffic, leaving you without IPv4. So I don't see any profit there.

But for now, Local Bridge + NAT IP + IPv6 works.

How did you manage to make Softether work on Nat IPV4. I tried but it doesn't work on the specified ports give by lowendspirit. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

@ankittulsian Well, it's no big deal actually.
    I tried to make a tutorial of my own about the matter and it's still a work in progress.
    I still need to add more stuff like how to give all the clients an IPv6 of their own with a Tunnel etc.

But you better check my current work.
    http://az.cokh.net/linux/softether-vpn-server-on-a-nat-server/

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2015

@Nomad

I'm at SYSCTL Settings.

When I run sysctl -f.

I get:

sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/tap_softether/accept_ra: No such file or directory

Everything else is accept.

• ChuckChuck Member

I don’t plan on using IPv6.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited April 2015

That's because your tap interface is named soft, change that entry to

tap_soft
    and you're good to go. Or remove any ipv6 references from all.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • murataimuratai Member
    edited January 11

I tried softether localbridge + ipv6 on kvm vps at aruba cloud. I get ipv6 fine, but I can't ping using tap_softether interface via command: ping6 -I tap_softether ipv6.google.com

[email protected]:~# ping6 -I tap_softether 2620:0:ccc::2 connect: Network is unreachable

Strangely, using dnsmasq ipv6 config (/etc/resolv.conf is 127.0.0.1), it choose to ping ipv4 instead of ipv6

[email protected]:~# host ipv6.google.com ipv6.google.com is an alias for ipv6.l.google.com. ipv6.l.google.com has IPv6 address 2a00:1450:400c:c04::64 [email protected]:~# ping6 ipv6.google.com PING ipv6.google.com(wk-in-x64.1e100.net) 56 data bytes 64 bytes from wk-in-x64.1e100.net: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=7.15 ms 64 bytes from wk-in-x64.1e100.net: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=7.12 ms

my he.net tunnelbroker is working fine

[email protected]:~# ping6 2620:0:ccc::2 PING 2620:0:ccc::2(2620:0:ccc::2) 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 2620:0:ccc::2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=2.06 ms 64 bytes from 2620:0:ccc::2: icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=2.73 ms 64 bytes from 2620:0:ccc::2: icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=1.95 ms 64 bytes from 2620:0:ccc::2: icmp_seq=4 ttl=60 time=2.01 ms

but without ipv6 dns resolv of course.

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
    inet6 addr: ::xx.36.221.155/96 Scope:Compat inet6 addr: ::127.0.0.1/96 Scope:Unknown UP RUNNING NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

sit1 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
    inet6 addr: fe80::5924:dd9b/64 Scope:Link inet6 addr: 2001:xxxx:1f08:120a::2/64 Scope:Global UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1 RX packets:418 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:474 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 RX bytes:66697 (66.6 KB) TX bytes:60050 (60.0 KB)