Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Management System for Personal Usage ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Management System for Personal Usage ??

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

I want to get a Dedicated Server and provision VPS from that, so I don't want to pay for SolusVM. I searched around the globe and found:

1. OVZ Web Panel - Seems Okay, But only OpenVZ Supported. I need Xen actually. OpenVZ is Also Okay. I can see the last Update of this Panel in 2013, so A Little bit scared of using this.

2. HyperVM - It provisions Xen along with OpenVZ but I wonder why it doesn't support CentOS 6.x Series. Isn't CentOS 5.x series a little bit backdated ??

3. VirtKick - Seems Okay. But, currently in Beta, Little bit Scared if it makes problem afterwards. Not sure about Virtualization support.

4. ProxMox - Seems Okay, but the installation and afterwards management seemed quite complex to Me.

5. Virtualizor - 1 Month Free, then charged on Amount of VMs. The 2 VPS License seems nice, only $2 Per Month. Supports OpenVZ, Xen, KVM - all.

Will you let Me know which I should work with ?? Was thinking to use Virtualizor.

Thanks,
Mahfuz.

Comments

• HyperVM 2.1 beta already support for CentOS 6.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@mustafaramadhan said:
    HyperVM 2.1 beta already support for CentOS 6.

I checked their installation Page only. Can you provide Me the link of supporting CentOS 6.x in their website ??

• VMware ESXi

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

There is Feathur, from BlueVM. Only supports OpenVZ and no ipv6 (last I checked)

• XenServer 6.5 w/ XenCenter -- easy, stable, perfect

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • nstormnstorm Member
    edited February 2015

We use Proxmox in production, works very well and pretty stable.
    The installation is quite simple [b]if[/b] you'll install it from ISO (with their Debian based distro).
    Management is pretty fine and some advanced features do exist (like HA, live migration, etc).
    Works with KVM and OpenVZ and provides nice things like noVNC consoles.

• Just use proxmox it's really good!!

Use to like VMware cause you can install proxmox as a guest under VMware but I still prefer proxmox cause it's basically debian.

• I'd go for Proxmox for personal use.

• Why not VMware ESXi as @nexmark pointed out? It's free too :-)

Thanked by 1nexmark
  • What's hard about the Proxmox setup?

• Don't use HyperVM. I learned it the hard way. There seem to be vulnerabilities where hackers can get root/admin access to your account and do all kinds of shit.

For personal, am learning and using command line to manage my VPSes.

@cassa said:
    What's hard about the Proxmox setup?

Another Problem, ProxMox doesn't support Xen. I mainly need Xen. I'm now thinking to get Virtualizor.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

Proxmox and KVM is great. and using command line is even better. Libvirt/KVM is FTW.
    I didn't try XEN but not sure why you think its better than KVM .

Mohammed H

• Not sure how good it is now, but you can look into Citrix XenServer

• I recommend using Proxmox as it's easy to setup and has a simple interface for personal use. Only downside is that it doesn't support Xen, but we usually use KVM instead.

Doesn't KVM has overheads? Where A Node gets 185 MBPS I/O, the KVM box only gets 95-100 MBPS. Xen performs well in CPU Intensive Tasks than KVM.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2015

Feathur is free: https://github.com/BlueVM/Feathur

Just make sure to update to the testing branch ;)

Let me know if you need any help.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL well if you use qcow2 images then yes you might get that low I/O. its a tradeoff qcow2 features (encryption,snapshots,etc...) for low I/O.

have your tried KVM with RAW block device, native I/O and no cache. it performs like a bare metal server.

Mohammed H

• @BlueVM said:
    Feathur is free: https://github.com/BlueVM/Feathur

Just make sure to update to the testing branch ;)

Let me know if you need any help.

If I use feathur for my own vps (hosting own websites which are commercial) , do I need a license? Not going to sell vps.

Also, is it required to install feathur on a fresh system, or can I install it on an existing openvz node which has few vps already ruining?

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Another Problem, ProxMox doesn't support Xen. I mainly need Xen. I'm now thinking to get Virtualizor.

Uh, so what exactly is the problem with XenCenter and XenServer 6.5?
    If this is for personal use, especially, it has a great management interface and is stable.

Why mess with BS software when you can have a fully developed platform?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Drukpa said: If I use feathur for my own vps (hosting own websites which are commercial) , do I need a license? Not going to sell vps.

It is completely free, although you could donate the creator some bucks for his effort.

• Drukpa said: If I use feathur for my own vps (hosting own websites which are commercial) , do I need a license? Not going to sell vps.

Also, is it required to install feathur on a fresh system, or can I install it on an existing openvz node which has few vps already ruining?

Feathur is free and released under AGPL3. Licenses are only for support and really might as well be called "monthly donations". You can install feathur on a existing system. I generally recommend putting it on it's own VM as it does require nginx, mysql, etc... and may interfere with existing installations of those items on a given server.

Tried OVZ Web Panel, didn't work. Tried Feathur but it's taking too much time to build a OpenVZ Box of 100 GB HDD @BlueVM

Now, thinking what to do !!

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited February 2015

Proxmox VE has served me well so far and I'd recommend it both for personal usage and in other environments — although it may be somewhat "unattractive" to customers - but so what, it works great.

@k0nsl said:
    Proxmox VE has served me well so far and I'd recommend it both for personal usage and in other environments — although it may be somewhat "unattractive" to customers - but so what, it works great.

I can't understand how to install it. From Hetzner's Panel, I can't see any option to mount ISO !

Anyone Know how to Get these Virtualization work on Hetzner Dedicated Server ??

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Anyone Know how to Get these Virtualization work on Hetzner Dedicated Server ??

You can also install debian wheezy first and then Proxmox VE:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy

• +1 to Proxmox for KVM not use them for OpenVZ
    +1 to OVZ for OpenVZ

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Tried OVZ Web Panel, didn't work. Tried Feathur but it's taking too much time to build a OpenVZ Box of 100 GB HDD @BlueVM

Now, thinking what to do !!

Sounds like you're missing a dependency of some sort on the slave. If you'd like I can take a look or you can re-run the slave installer after stripping out the kernel changes.