Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange Problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange Problem

Hey Guys,

I am now living for a few months in Romania, in the Erasmus camp.

I have here an internet connection, but it is filtered. I cant connect to my panels with xxx.xxx.xxx:port ... I cant connect to it over ssh, vpn isnt connecting.

Can you give me some hints to find a good solution? Except leaving the country :D

Comments

• Get a local 3G/4G sim card.

Thanked by 1emre22
  • Is port 443 (SSL/HTTPS) unblocked? If yes, you can setup an OpenVPN server with it listening on port 443.

Thanked by 1emre22
  • @joodle said:
    Is port 443 (SSL/HTTPS) unblocked? If yes, you can setup an OpenVPN server with it listening on port 443.

I did a test( on google: port scanner) it says 443 is not open, but I can login to paypal/online banking. so 443 is open?

• Try to let your OpenVPN server (if you have one) run on port 443

• emre22emre22 Member
    edited February 2015

yes I have one, is it possible to change the port without reinstalling? Its running on debian7> @joodle said:

Try to let your OpenVPN server (if you have one) run on port 443

• @emre22 said:
    yes I have one, is it possible to change the port without reinstalling? Its running on debian7>

Yep. Just change it at the config file (located at /etc/openvpn)

• Emre,

You can install Softether or any other VPN on a VPS.
    Then connect to your VPN. IF port 443 is accessible with port 443 or if it's not with 80 (Assuming no web server is running there)

It should work.
    While I was in the army the army computers were being filtered and I was able to overcome the filter this way. (Port 80 in my case)

Thanked by 1emre22
  • tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited February 2015

ssh tunnel, easy with "bitwise ssh client"... and use "proxifier" for tuning (change your ssh port to 80 or 443)

Thanked by 1Blanoz
  • edited February 2015

Check my OpenVPN NAT tutorial just set ports to 443 instead
    http://www.thomasglassuk.com

• @joodle said:
    Yep. Just change it at the config file (located at /etc/openvpn)

thanks, so my config file lookes like this:

Which TCP/UDP port should OpenVPN listen on?

If you want to run multiple OpenVPN instances

on the same machine, use a different port

number for each one. You will need to

open up this port on your firewall.

port 443

this should be fine. I am still connecting to my vpn over my 3g sim card and the openvpn logfile says:

Sun Feb 15 21:15:46 2015 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340

why am I not connecting over 443?? :(

• Have you restarted the OpenVPN server, plus have you also edited the .ovpn config file on your computer/device?

Thanked by 1emre22
  • @joodle said:
    Have you restarted the OpenVPN server, plus have you also edited the .ovpn config file on your computer/device?

ok I did now, but I cant connect to the vpn :(

• @emre22 can you tell me wich provider ???

• @cociu said:
    emre22 can you tell me wich provider ???

my vpn runs on berihoster.ru

• Why use OpenVPN when a simple command like "ssh -f -N -D 0.0.0.0:1080 localhost" will put you up and running?

Thanked by 1emre22
  • So guys just give me a link to a tutorial, which will allow me to use apps like putty,... :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If the filtering is so bad, just get a local sim for a few Eur, there are some which give you 2 GB as an option, it should last months for putty only.
    Alternatively, set your ssh port for your VM on 443, then use something like http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=828
    That is, if you do not like the putty ssh client and you are stuck on windows. Otherwise, what @Blanoz said shoud work, except you will need to change port.