Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS specs good for a personal VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS specs good for a personal VPN

niubiniubi Member
edited February 2015 in Help

Advice on VPS specs good for a personal VPN please!

I am 100% newbie and have zero knowledge on VPS. So please give me the detailed advice in layman’s terms.

Optimal VPS specs for a Softether VPN server:

cpu core

RAM/vSwap

storage: disk space (for a personal VPN, does SSD make a difference?)

IPv4/IPv6: (does shared IPv4 affect connection speed? How important is IPv6?)

recommended OS: 32 bit or 64 bit?

I am more interested in the optimal requirements than the minimal ones. I don’t want to pinch a few pennies and get frustrated by the limitation. While I have several devices (1 pc, 1 mac, 1 windows tablet, 1 iphone, 1 ipad, 1 android phone, 1 android tablet and one dd-wrt router) I use only one actively most of the time. If simultaneous connection of several devices bogs down VPS resources, I can disconnect all the idle ones.

TIA!

Thank all of you for your advices! Now it seems most of the LET offers are adequate for a personal VPN.

Regarding the OS choice, is Debian 32 bit minimal the best choice (lightweight, small footprint and efficient) for a Softether VPN?

Finally, does shared IPv4 affect the connection speed? If not, it seems setting up VPN servers on a bunch of cheap VPSs with shared IPs in different locations is a good choice.

Again, TIA!

Comments

• 1CPU core, 128MB RAM and 2-3GB should work just fine :)

• for vpn, the most important thing is to have a optimal connection to the vpn + the destination you want to reach to, spec normally do not matter, as joodle mention any 128mb ram vps should be enough for a few device.

• 64MB here :D

• 16mb ram is probably enough ram for something like a personal vpn, but 32mb just to be safe! 2GB hdd, 1 cpu core, maybe get a few hundred GB of bandwidth

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    64MB here :D

Same.. But that's not @ Softether. I found out that Softether uses more RAM than OpenVPN. When i was using Softether the VPS uses about 80-90MB RAM if i remember correctly (this is more than 5-6 months ago).

• @sc754 said:
    16mb ram is probably enough ram for something like a personal vpn, but 32mb just to be safe! 2GB hdd, 1 cpu core, maybe get a few hundred GB of bandwidth

Most Linux distros need around 64MB RAM nowadays...

• And how about disable & enable TUN/TAP ?
    Is every VPS have this features ?

• @warih said:
    And how about disable & enable TUN/TAP ?
    Is every VPS have this features ?

Most providers offer to enable / disable TUN/TAP and or PPP. But thats only needed when having an OVZ VPS, not needed when using KVM or Xen.

• I use a 64MB RAM NAT VPS from deepnetsolutions ($1.80/year) for VPN, DLNA and proxy.

• @TheLonely said:
    Most Linux distros need around 64MB RAM nowadays...

Really? Have you tried Debian minimal? Less than 15MB fresh installed.

• @joodle said:

Same.. But that's not @ Softether. I found out that Softether uses more RAM than OpenVPN. When i was using Softether the VPS uses about 80-90MB RAM if i remember correctly (this is more than 5-6 months ago).

Do you know how to setup Local Bridge on a NAT IPv4 VPS?

SecureNAT is easy to setup but slow.

• joodle said: 80-90MB RAM if i remember correctly

at a min. i have it running with a local bridge and its using nearly 200MB!

• Thank all of you for your advices! Now it seems most of the LET offers are adequate for a personal VPN.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited February 2015

Chuck said: Really? Have you tried Debian minimal? Less than 15MB fresh installed.

Only under OpenVZ, try installing Debian minimal on a 64MB KVM container, kernel panics everywhere. The installer will complain with anything less than 98MB last time I tried.

niubi said: Now it seems most of the LET offers are adequate for a personal VPN.

Basically. :D