Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH 2015 Disappointment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH 2015 Disappointment

Dedicated server review
So I wanted to test OVH again in 2015 to see how it is, I have to say im pretty disappointed issues with their dns resolving slowly yum update took 40 minutes on a brand new OVH SSD dedicated server after I opened a ticket no real help or support so I switched to googles dns. Asked for a refund as the server was slow and by default wasn't working, Got refused a refund.

VPS/Cloud review
There cloud is actually ok few small issues with their vps, As i am running a vpn for gaming which drops all connections every now and then despite it being permanently filtered through their firewall. But the cloud seems like the only solid platform although its disappointing they decided not to offer a SSD Cloud.

Overall I am pretty disappointed in their support which is nothing new but appears to be getting worse yearly. The Servers themselves seem to be in all working order, Just the dns issue + some weird latency reports to their vps now and then over 100ms ping where it would normally be lower.

Anyone else here have anything else to share regarding OVH. On a side note does anyone else know a place which will offer DDoS protection permanently which can take up the levels which OVH apparently can?

Thanked by 1howardsl2

Comments

• Runabove SSD VPS from ovh

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2015

@nexmark can you add the permanent filter through their firewall ?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

said: So I wanted to test OVH again in 2015 to see how it is, I have to say im pretty disappointed issues with their dns resolving slowly yum update took 40 minutes on a brand new OVH SSD dedicated server after I opened a ticket no real help or support so I switched to googles dns. Asked for a refund as the server was slow and by default wasn't working, Got refused a refund.

It's your fault for trying to use a provider's DNSes in the first place (and I'm only exaggerating very slightly here). Then you go file a ticket, and even a refund because of this? FFS do you have a particularly boring weekend or something.

"Server wasn't working", that's like asking your money back at a restraunt, after eating all the food, only because it was served on plates of the color you didn't like.

Switch to a proven working third party DNS is the first thing you do on a new server.
    Not be a drama queen because wah wah DNS slow.

• @MonsteR said:
    nexmark can you add the permanent filter through their firewall ?

No, also have you tried a different kernel?

On RunAbove you need to request permanent mitigation via a ticket if you want it. (From their IRC channel).

• @rm_ said:
    Not be a drama queen because wah wah DNS slow.

Weekend was actually interesting just got back from Boston, But regarding their dns if they force you to use it as its inbuilt with their templates of course manually changing work which I did, But figured a company should provide you with a working out of the box server not a half assed template where the OVH dns doesn't work.

edited February 2015

MonsteR said: if they force you to use it

No they do not.

as its inbuilt with their templates

And?

Apparently you didn't have the chance to use a provider who actually forces you to use their DNS. By blocking outgoing port 53 TCP/UDP to outside of their network.

OVH doesn't.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited February 2015

@MonsteR said:
    Weekend was actually interesting just got back from Boston, But regarding their dns if they force you to use it as its inbuilt with their templates of course manually changing work which I did, But figured a company should provide you with a working out of the box server not a half assed template where the OVH dns doesn't work.

OVH has this weird funky kernel shipped with all their Cloud servers and boxes, Each time you change the DNS it'll swap back, To solve it you'll need to load a stock kernel.

Doing so you'll find everything including all the IPTables modules are normal.

nexmark said: Each time you change the DNS it'll swap back

That's more likely a DHCP client's doing.

/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
            domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
            dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search,
            netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
            rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers;

Best to just comment out the 2nd line of these.

• @rm_ said:
    Best to just comment out the 2nd line of these.

Ah, Didn't check those.

Then again best to do that + Change Kernel to the Stock Centos or Stock Debian, Ubuntu etc..

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited February 2015

said: yum update took 40 minutes on a brand new OVH SSD dedicated server

apt-get update && aptitude full-upgrade takes 10-20 seconds or less as all packages are already latest version after installation. If some packages need to be updated - also very fast with OVH mirrors. CentOS is just bad.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @rm_ pretty much nailed it. But I'd suggest to config/tune the menu the dhcp clients gets served even somewhat more. ntp comes to mind, ot netbios sh-t, for instance.

And he is right again saying that one should (wisely) chose n switch to a good DNS provider as one of the first things when configuring a new server.

Just consider what a large providers goal is and what yours is. Their templates have to please a wide variety of users and user types, so of course there's some gruft and crap.

As for CentOs I'll have to pass. I'm using it only occasionally, mostly because FreeBSDs current linuxolator is using it. But I personally never experienced really lously yum timings. So I guess it's something like some Paris setting having survived and ending up in BHS, i.e. that you could quite probably simply find a better yum mirror.

• I never use OVH's templates (authorized_keys2 comes to mind). That's why you have a KVM console. And if you don't (SoYouStart) you still can fire up a virtual KVM console using their rescue mode and some command line kung-fu.

• OVH SUCKS and they have no support

Thanked by 1Devil
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Geekion said:
    OVH SUCKS and they have no support

That's wierd, the ~5 minute telephone response I received, followed by the 16 IPs immediately allocated to my server must have been a dream.

Thanked by 2MCHPhil NickM