Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R1Soft as a service, anyone interested?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

R1Soft as a service, anyone interested?

pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
edited February 2015 in General

We're planning on providing an R1Soft based backup service with pay-as-you-go pricing, if your looking for this kind of service then please let us know in the poll below, or if you have any points/questions for us then post a comment.

Thanks for helping us help you :)

Poll
  1. Are you interested in the kind of service?32 votes
    1. Yes
      43.75%
    2. No
      56.25%

Comments

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited April 2015

You are one of those guys who when I saw your signature promoting bigvps.io for the first time I wanted to warn you that your business model & the infrastructure you use are going to become the cause of your failure. When I feel like that about any host, I want to advise them to reconsider their business model but I never get the courage to do so because I do not want to discourage new hosts & also because most newbies in hosting industry will often ignore an advice given to them in good intention by someone with experience & thorough understanding of hosting market.

Regarding R1soft as a service, you should ask yourself that what would be your distinguishing point from others who have been offering the same service for longer & probably at a cheaper price than you. If you can offer it cheaper than them there might be a few people interested in it but If someone like Oktay stopped offering it (read it on this forum somewhere, someone correct me if I am mistaken here) then there should be a good reason behind that. I think he now offers licences for R1soft backup agents only. Most of the visitors of this website are those who want cost effective & very cheaply priced hosting services & would usually use free alternatives for something like backup. So I do not think you should base your decisions solely on the outcome of a poll on this forum.

I wish you best of luck for any new hosting related venture but please start it only with a solid business plan & after thorough analysis of the market.

• SadySady Member

I'm not sure if someone will give you a go knowing that bigvps went downside the hill & hosting backups somewhere which is backed by one who closed his service in only a few months after the launch.
    BTW that service is already being offered by DelimeterVPS who are much stable & have been around for years.

• Sady said: I'm not sure if someone will give you a go knowing that bigvps went downside the hill & hosting backups somewhere which is backed by one who closed his service in only a few months after the launch.

+1

-1 About delimiter though.

• sinsin Member

Delimiter is offering this for $4 which is hard to beat

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • There are some larger R1Soft bundles coming up with 1TB increments. This should address the larger users.

• LeeLee Veteran

R1Soft as a service, speaks for itself I suppose, It's going to be for backups and Therefore quite important to make sure it's both reliable and dependable.

Would I be interested in something like this? Probably not, even less likely from you OP, no offence intended, but I just don't know who you are to base my reliable and dependable requirements on.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Theres been lots of people that try their hand at this already.... there's even http://www.r1softstorage.com already

It doesn't seem that they get any real traction and you would have to have a big upfront investment in a proper storage solution.

• Theres been lots of people that try their hand at this already.... there's even http://www.r1softstorage.com already

They stopped selling - For good reasons. Management side (tickets etc.) are enormous at such things.

• @ItsChrisG - R1SoftStorage is Oktay's brand which I think he has stopped service.

Its early days for our R1Soft offerings. We already had all the NetApp storage in place at each site, so it was just about deploying heads to host the R1Soft backup server. But there has been quite an uptake. Mostly 200-300MB customers, some larger 2-3TB but traction is definitely there. I think the NetApp backend helps because many customers have had issues with providers hosting them on small RAID systems and they fallover taking the backups down. Using the NetApp backend, the heads are interchangeable from ourside.