Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net strangeness - terminated server & account gone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net strangeness - terminated server & account gone?

Okay, bit of a strange one and I will say from the start this isn't my server, I was doing some work on it for someone (setting up cPanel, transferring accounts, CSF, Modsecurity etc) however, had to ask you guys what you think is wrong as I think a few people here use Online.net

The guy bought the server yesterday morning and I got my hands on the details soon after. He had backups in Dropbox so I got the server syncing to get to them whilst I set about doing the cPanel / CSF / Modesecurity stuff.

Got everything sorted a few hours later and went out. Came home and the guy I did it for was on Skype saying he received an email saying his account was terminated as of 1 March 2015, no reason etc. He got on the phone to their support who said it seemed to be a mistake their side and support had opened up a ticket for him to read - they had blocked / killed his account so he couldn't log in and read it and no emails sent.

He then called back, late Friday evening when Online should be on 24x7, and they have now told him he has to wait until Monday for a tech to sort it out / contact them.

Any ideas what is going on - from the looks of the email he got I would assume they have jumped the gun and terminated way too early?

Anyway, thought I would ask to see if anyone else may have an idea whilst he waits it out until Monday!!

@online_bene is an online rep here isn't he?

Comments

• Very strange, even if your server is terminated or cancelled you can still log in and place/read tickets.

Possible error on their side? Hope you get things sorted out.

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanked by 1ricardo777
  • Cheers wych - nearly got it :)
    linuxthefish - thats what I am thinking, hopefully they will switch him back on soon!

• Hi,
    this sounds very strange as we never block the access to an account. Can you PM me the login / ticket number?

• FatboyFatboy Member
    edited February 2015

Sending you now @bene_online. He doesn't have the ticket number as he cannot log in but I will send you his username if that helps?

Thanks!

• Online.net support is meh, it's robotic like with no human touch. If you've an issue outside of their training/scripts you're very much left hitting your head against a break wall.

• @kcaj said:
    Online.net support is meh, it's robotic like with no human touch. If you've an issue outside of their training/scripts you're very much left hitting your head against a break wall.

Well, some are technical but the English segment is more restricted, also it's becoming very big so you can't expect to get the technical people available for you constantly anymore.

• Impossibru... im sure if online.net did send a ticket, he'll receive it in his mail. I smell something isn't right here.

• @cosmicgate - you can smell all you want, I can only go by what I am told by the guy who I am working for on the server. I had logged in to set up rDNS on the control panel so I know the login worked and now it doesn't. I also don't have any access to his server at this time.

Anyway, I have sent details to @bene_online so hopefully something will come out of the wash. Just grateful that he said he would take a look over a weekend.

• @kcaj said:
    Online.net support is meh, it's robotic like with no human touch. If you've an issue outside of their training/scripts you're very much left hitting your head against a break wall.

I'm not a big fan of french support either but they might do better if you upgrade your service level. Not sure though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Mark_R said: I'm not a big fan of french support either but they might do better if you upgrade your service level. Not sure though.

Yeah if you pay 20EUR/mo on top of your 2EUR server just for "better support", because makes sense right.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2015

@rm_ said:
    Yeah if you pay 20EUR/mo on top of your 2EUR server just for "better support", because makes sense right.

I was just trying to bring up why support might be as it is in my previous comment, nothing else to say.

• @kcaj what dislikes you about our support?

• @bene_online at this point in time and after our PMs, I can back up @kcaj about the lack of useful support. Still no access to his account, even after password resets which seem to work and you saying that it will be explained to him on Monday. What exactly is the problem in telling him today over Monday?

• As explained in the PM he will get contacted by us on monday. I invite both of you to wait until then.

• FatboyFatboy Member
    edited February 2015

And as I have asked, why do YOU have to wait until Monday to tell him, he has called your support line a couple of times and they have said there is a ticket in his LOCKED / DISABLED / DELETED account (even though you said above you don't lock or delete accounts) that he cannot get to - if they know its there why can't they tell him what it says. As of now and until you grace him with an email or call on Monday he has to put stuff on hold and see if its worth waiting it out to see what you say Monday or get a new server started up.

If this is your 24x7 weekday support, which it was until last night when he called, then I am glad to find out how you operate before parting with any of my own cash.

• @bene_online said:
    kcaj what dislikes you about our support?

This thread right here.

Thanked by 1Fatboy
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2015

@Fatboy imagine if they have received a court order or some other police inquiry about this account. They can't just tell you this on PM. The support guys wouldn't even be authorized to talk about it.

Thanked by 1Fatboy
  • Very true @rds100 and I may of believed that if the server hadn't been set up by me a couple of hours before so I know what the content was.

However, all this cloak and dagger behaviour is because, so I have been told, the account needs further verification and that can only take place in French business hours.

Why the hell have I had to drag that out of @bene_online after the guy had called their support lines a couple of times and I asked here and via PM. If thats all it is why didn't their support team say that to him when he called? No, they rather give some cryptic messages that makes them look important.

If, and thats a big IF, it is just verification they should of told him on Friday evening when he called - yes it would of pissed him off until Monday with the wait but at least he would know. Its pathetic really......bad for him but good for me, I was thinking of buying a few servers from Online but after this I think I will go elsewhere and take my chances!

• @Fatboy you know about the contents of this server but you probably don't know what other servers he has... who knows what it is. Just wait until Monday, there is nothing more you can do.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Well, finally got the real reason for his account getting locked and it had NOTHING to do with extra verification that @bene_online alluded to so not sure why exactly he threw that out here.

Just trying to get further details from their support about the actual point which was given as: "your server make too many problem on switch and perturbate network and much of customer."

Guessing getting backups from Dropbox caused problems on Friday afternoon, so why they locked the server off and refused to tell him anything until today, along with a get everything off the server by the end of the month, is beyond me. At this point its only a guess, as I said, awaiting some sort of reply to my question.

All they had to do was drop him a note asking what we were doing on the server and all this would of been avoided.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • keep us updated!

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited February 2015

Haha, classic "switch isn't able to handle the connection advertised on the website, deal with it" response from them.

Thanked by 1Fatboy
  • Will do - waiting on their support to get back to me, its only been an hour so not expecting anything fast from them. I told them that we have stopped transferring everything so if it is indeed traffic related, Dropbox won't be syncing anymore so there shouldn't be any traffic related problems.

• I see a bit too many horror stories with online.net these days...How can they suspend a server for dropbox usage ??? If I buy a dedicated server with unlimited bandwitht I expect to do more than with a 128mb ram vps...

• FatboyFatboy Member
    edited February 2015

My thoughts exactly - I have just had a look through their terms and conditions and no limits are specified anywhere I could see, whether there are more details when purchasing I do not know. The main argument is they should of given the guy a shout to see what was going on instead of giving cryptic clues on whats happening from Friday night to Monday morning.

They are currently refusing to put the server back online instead putting the server into rescue mode to get the data off. Only trouble is, if we take the data off won't that trigger the traffic problem again and them get all pissy and suspend the server again?

For a big company their support and reasoning does suck a touch!

However, still waiting for a reply to my support reply.......

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • In this case a 128MB ram VPS seems more reliable

• 4 hours on and still no answer - guess they have a lot of support to do, or people to ignore at least.

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

This seems peculiar...

I have several boxes with them, generating much more load and traffic than a dropbox instance; no issues here.

Sure support could be better, but I can't see them doing this for no good reason.

• @Fatboy what server/plan is your friend renting from Online.net?

They often fail to provide the levels of service advertised on their website. It's astonishing that any server company connect customers to switches at a port speed able to severly effect the service of other customers on a switch. Online.net are offering 1Gb/s lines across the majority of their range, where ports/network cards/lines are only physically capable of carrying 1Gb/s of traffic at any one time, there should not be any possibility where the volume of outbound traffic from a single customer can effect the service of other customers on the same switch.

For anybody who wants to jump on the 'your expectations are unrealistic for this pricepoint' bandwagon, the bottom line should be that when something is advertised in print, it should be delivered to the customer without any problems. Anybody who is riding that bangwagon should question whether the offers advertised by Online.net are realistic themselves.