Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planning to host my own personal email server. Any thoughts about it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Planning to host my own personal email server. Any thoughts about it?

AdventureTimeAdventureTime Member
edited February 2015 in Help

Hi,

I am currently using the free version of Zoho Mail for my custom domain name. I was thinking of purchasing a subscription for FastMail or the GMail with custom domain service. But, I realized that I have a dedicated server with OVH, might as well utilize it.

So, I purchased a dedicated I.P just for my own email service. I'm planning to host it on a OpenVZ box inside my dedicated server. Is it possible? Or should I just use KVM? I'm using Proxmox by the way. I don't know what type of "email server software" to use.

I did a few research and I am so confused reading these websites: iRedMail, Axigen, NetWin and DeepRoot.

Can you guys help me out? Oh yeah, I hope I can also use the email service using my iPhone and import my mails, accounts and aliases from Zoho Mail to my email server.

Thanks.

Comments

• In an openvz container will be easiest

• said: I'm using Proxmox by the way

Proxmox can run OpenVZ and KVM

• For importing mails you best use imapsync, i doubt there is any software to import aliases and alike from Zoho however.

Thanked by 2jvnadr netomx
  • Check out http://mailinabox.email too

Thanked by 1Umair
  • I have tried few mail servers in last few months and here is my experience

Iredmail

Very easy and quick to install even runs on 512 ram for 1 or 2 domains without any issues.

For free version control panel is very simple and have only basic features to add domain and manage account

Round cube webmail provide features for vacation responder, change password etc.

Zimbra open source

It is working fine since last 6 months with out any issues.. only this is that it is bit ram hungry and they recommend minimum 2 GB ram. But the interface and features are really cool.

Hmail Server on Windows

I am using this since last one year and very stable and didn't had any issues.. all major features are available.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • OpenVZ should suffice. Also, I'd recommend Postfix. Don't get scared by its config palette, it is the most versatile (and secure) MTA out there. Combine it with Dovecot if needed.

I'm running for almost 2 years Postfix + Dovecot (Debian7) as a dedicated MX on a KVM with just 256MB of RAM (thank you Atlantic.net!). Handling around 100 up to 250 e-mails per day and sometimes it gets bashed by spammers. Make sure you're at least using a RBL and you're checking for PTR.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish kontam
  • @cassa said:
    Check out http://mailinabox.email too

This seems really interesting ... Anyone used it ? Could work as a remote email server for 5/6 domains with 2/3 accounts each ??

• @Umair said:
    This seems really interesting ... Anyone used it ? Could work as a remote email server for 5/6 domains with 2/3 accounts each ??

I am, yes it'll do :)

Thanked by 1Umair
  • You can use zimbra open source edition. zimbra is the one most powerfull mail server software.

• Zimbra opensource edition doesnt allow to add more domains.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Blanoz said: Also, I'd recommend Postfix. Don't get scared by its config palette,

I think that's what the OP is trying to avoid. To configure a mail server you need several pieces of software (MTA, MDA, anti-spam, anti-virus, IMAP server, etc.) and a lot of people don't want to read several books just to get an email server setup. If you're familiar with email servers, then yes, postfix is a snap, but otherwise you'll have to wade through a lot of terminology and it quickly becomes very recursive.

iRedMail, mail in a box, etc. are designed to do that for you. It's a tradeoff of "do you want to learn the craft of email server administration" (most don't) vs. "do you want to sacrifice some flexibility/customizability/some RAM to have a panel to do it for you".

@AdventureTime, if you are still looking at custom-domain mail hosting solutions, you might also consider: https://mxroute.com/ which is run by @Jar

Thanked by 1jar
  • Make sure your backup your email alot!!!!

• shivoham said: Zimbra opensource edition doesnt allow to add more domains.

No you can add as many domains you need , I am using now almost 7

• @cassa said:
    Check out http://mailinabox.email too

Seems interesting , I will try it ..

• @praveen said:
    Seems interesting , I will try it ..

I've had it running in a KVM for about a month now, no issues so far.

• @shivoham said:
    Zimbra opensource edition doesnt allow to add more domains.

Ohh ... I didn't know that part. Anyone know what's their pricing like for a small setup?? (5-10 domains)

• I was using Zimbra Opensource until recently when I switched to office 365 since It got to the point where I only needed a couple mailboxes and several days of no email after a HDD problem made me relise how important email was to me and how inconvenient it was to have it down. (Didn't lose any data but couldn't focus on fixing it due to work commitments)

If you plan to use a Smartphone with Zimbra Opensource it's worth looking at Z-push with the Zimbra backend, it takes a bit of effort to setup but it works pretty well and syncs Contacts/Calender/Email nicely.

• @AdventureTime

email is an ugly beast. Virtually all of the servers are tricky to configure and not rarely setting one parameter, possibly even one seeming unrelated, not right may well f-ck up the whole thing. To make it worse, There is hardly "a email server". Nope, there are smtp servers and imap servers and pop3 servers, each with their own logic and config. Plus some authentification stuff, web mail interface, etc.

And yes, there are friendly all-in-one solutions but they have their own hooks like a 500$ price tag for the friendly interface.

Don't take this personal, OK, but seeing what and how you write, frankly I'd advise you to stick with what you have now.

In case you don't listen to that advice and want to try it anyway, there is one server I occasionally recommend for unexperienced admins (or those who like myself just consider the usual server zoo ridiculous for a handful of domains). It's called "xmailserver". It's far less known than exim and the other big guys but it has all the basics in 1 package, made by an experienced guy, is pretty easy to set up/configure, runs on linux, the BSDs, etc. and there are both web mail and admin interfaces available for free.

As for KVM vs OpenVZ: Neither. Typically email (and other servers) are put into the OS's built in chroot/jail, etc.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • @dragon2611 said:
    I was using Zimbra Opensource until recently when I switched to office 365 since It got to the point where I only needed a couple mailboxes and several days of no email after a HDD problem made me relise how important email was to me and how inconvenient it was to have it down. (Didn't lose any data but couldn't focus on fixing it due to work commitments)

If you plan to use a Smartphone with Zimbra Opensource it's worth looking at Z-push with the Zimbra backend, it takes a bit of effort to setup but it works pretty well and syncs Contacts/Calender/Email nicely.

@shivoham Said it doesn't allow to add more domains. Are you using it for just one domain??

I have may 5-10 domains and I am considering to host them in a small VPS.

(I wish there was a SmarterMail version for linux)

• zimbra opensource supports multiple domains as I mentioned before, I am using it for 7 to 8 domains now..

Thanked by 2Umair pepa65
  • @praveen

Thanks. I missed i before and just saw the other message.
    Going to give it a try and see how that goes. (Any idea about their pricing for paid product?)

• Just used mail in a box.

Moving all my domains to it. Best shit around town

• If sending and receiving e-mail is important to you, I would recommend against hosting your own e-mail for any domain you care about until you have a really, really good handle on things.

Thanked by 3FrankZ geekalot pepa65
  • Don't forget a backup MX.

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • Certain email providers will classify your mail as spam, especially in the beginning but also whenever you switch IP address. Well I guess it's mostly/only gmail and hotmail.

wych said: Don't forget a backup MX.

I have never needed one, because if my server is offline, the other server will just retry later. The only time I lost mails was when my hard drive was broken and set to read-only and postfix accepted mails anyway, but did not save them..

--> get a VPS or dedicated server with RAID

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • @bsdguy said: As for KVM vs OpenVZ: Neither. Typically email (and other servers) are put into the OS's built in chroot/jail, etc.

Wat?

• VitaVita Member
    edited February 2015

Use any VM type if you want or just set it up on a dedicated. I recommend setting everything up manually dovecot+postfix optionally you can install webmail roundcube or squirrel mail. That way you will learn more.

If you plan doing it for production I would suggest to stick with some third party service as they do all the work about black lists, and have good spam filtering.

• zimbra need at least 8 gb ram to run smooth in my opinion

• @bsdguy said:
    AdventureTime
    As for KVM vs OpenVZ: Neither. Typically email (and other servers) are put into the OS's built in chroot/jail, etc.

You can't be more wrong. Bad, BAD, BAD idea to install a mail server outside a VM. With a KVM or OpenVZ you can backup (ideally setup a cron job) and encrypt your full VM, then move to off-side storage regularly. If anything goes wrong all you need to do is order a dedi (some with instant provisioning) and restore your VM. I bet you could even get a provider to restore from a KVM/OpenVZ image from you if it is an emergency situation.
    Good luck rescuing your email when the HDD/server dies if you installed it directly into the OS. Sure, you can have a backup of your emails, but what about all settings and customizations for the various servers, how long will that take to redo? How many emails will you miss in the meantime.

Mail-in-a-box in a VM on a server you control (or have the ability to backup) is the way to go in my opinion. And make sure these backups happen regularly, and are stored off-side.

Thanked by 3FrankZ mehargags lazyt
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2015

@AdventureTime said: I'm planning to host it on a OpenVZ box inside my dedicated server. Is it possible? Or should I just use KVM? I'm using Proxmox by the way. I don't know what type of "email server software" to use.

1. OpenVZ, KVM or Xen: doesn't matter if it's on your own dedi (otherwise better go with KVM). This said, OpenVZ is easier to clone/replicate to another box if need be.

2. Recommend you start with Postfix/Dovecot setup with Virtualmin (see M.Kossen's LEB tutorial back in August 2013). It's a good starting point to learn and configure your own, customised MX setup. Very small footprint, too. And Virtualmin comes with a nice CP to manage your MX. You'll need to install and setup OpenDKIM manually (Virtualmin's built in DKIM function seems to be broken).

Thanked by 1FrankZ