Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you guys setup your cheap servers ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you guys setup your cheap servers ?

RolterRolter Member
edited February 2015 in Help

I am thinking of getting some cheap servers for development purpose , but I am not sure how will I keep them from using all the resources or crashing .

I just want the servers for initial development and testing , nothing hardcore , but testing out different environments and such.

I mainly develop on a LNMP stack.

I am already using a few of DO droplets , but want to explore my options further .

My main concerns are :

1 - Which operating system ? .
2 - Any control panel (if any) ? .
3 - What kind of setup ? .
4 - How do you normally setup your cheap servers ? .

Any help is appreciated ..

Comments

1. debian 7
    2. nope (honestly CP sucks big time for me unless client asks for it.)
    3. mostly LNMP (dotdeb repo + percona mysql), occasionally with varnish for serving static files
    4. custom bash script for each specific purpose (web host, reverse proxy, minimal setup)
  • Thank you Haphan ..

• @haphan said:
    1. debian 7
    2. nope (honestly CP sucks big time for me unless client asks for it.)
    3. mostly LNMP (dotdeb repo + percona mysql), occasionally with varnish for serving static files
    4. custom bash script for each specific purpose (web host, reverse proxy, minimal setup)

You forgot to answer this:

Rolter said:

I am not sure how will I keep them from using all the resources or crashing .

• said: 1 - Which operating system ?

Proxmox. Web-based administration of the server and it can run OpenVZ plus KVM on the same hardware. Oh, it's free too.

• said: but I am not sure how will I keep them from using all the resources or crashing .

Use Virtualizor, restrict the cores/CPU weight and you could always get Nodewatch.

@Rolter said:
    My main concerns are :

1 - Which operating system ? .

CentOS

2 - Any control panel (if any) ? .

Virtualizor

3 - What kind of setup ? .

Personally OpenVZ or KVM depending on usage/spec

4 - How do you normally setup your cheap servers ? .

Myself, with RAID and offsite backups?

• Thank you so much folks , i am going to get a cheap box from hotrail in a bit , will post my tests here or in a different thread .

• @Rolter said:
    Thank you so much folks , i am going to get a cheap box from hotrail in a bit , will post my tests here or in a different thread .

Hostrail? I would avoid like the plague...

• RolterRolter Member
    edited February 2015

@wych said:
    Hostrail? I would avoid like the plague...

What about Prometeus or Ramnode ?

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@Rolter said: Prometeus or Ramnode ?

They are nice guys and offer good services.

• @Rolter said:
    Thank you so much folks , i am going to get a cheap box from hotrail in a bit , will post my tests here or in a different thread .

Up to 10% CPU allowed.

Now I understand why you asked "how will I keep them from using all the resources or crashing."

• Haha , I did not mean that , was just trying to find how Pro's do it ..that is all

• Hello
    I have also a 16 gb ram server and a 4 cores CPU. I wanna have only one VPS that would use all the power. Which would be the best CPU settings in this case. (CPU units)

• I just usually install Ubuntu LTS, secure the server and setup CSF, install Tarsnap for backups, and then go about doing whatever I need with the server (usually just installing a lemp stack for my websites).

• @HWAYS said:
    Hello
    I have also a 16 gb ram server and a 4 cores CPU. I wanna have only one VPS that would use all the power. Which would be the best CPU settings in this case. (CPU units)

way off topic, but just set it to 4 cores, 100% cpu percent. For cpulimit, set it to 400 (to use all cores)

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

I'm not a pro, but I do use some cheap servers. So...

1- Debian 7

2- Usually none. If I plan to give access to friends, Virtualmin or maybe VestaCP

3- LNMP in my case.

4- Bash scripts for basic installation of stuff then manual editing for anything spesific.

Surely since my purpose is not handling multiple accounts or customers it works.