Personal server with cPanel - Install cPanel on big VM inside it, or install cPanel on bare server?
I got myself a server to host my personal projects and my client's projects (I'm a developer). I'm familiar with system administration.
Since this server has a lot of resources and space, I was thinking, should I install Proxmox on it, and have a big KVM virtual machine running and install cPanel in this VM, or should I install cPanel on the bare server?
For me, the main advantages to have a VM are:
- Lower cPanel license fee.
- Possibility to take snapshots. In case of 2-disk failure (It's a RAID-1 server), I can just restore the snapshot on another server (assuming I store the snapshots remotely).
- Being able to make more VMs if I ever need to.
And the obvious disadvantages are:
- Having to take care of 2 systems instead of only one (Proxmox host and cPanel VM)
- Proxmox? Honestly, should I be using Proxmox?
Also, It's a RAID-1 rigid disks server, so I don't know if making snapshots of the VM would bring up a huge server load.
What do you guys think?