Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi B+ Web Host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi B+ Web Host

Well I set-up my new forums but the thing is, that it always loads up really slow, like I have to get it exactly 30 Seconds, until the page appears. I am running a forum software on it and I think the problem is that the DB is really slow?
If that is the case can someone offer free DB Access or something that I can connect to my Pi?

Comments

• bump

• How's about running your website on something with a x86_64 processor instead of a slow ARM based CPU?

• Did you just bump the thread after less than 20 minutes?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2015

If you have some memory free and your not using a very large database, I suggest creating a tmpfs volume and storing the DB files in a ram disk and using that instead of SD card. Most SD cards don't really read over 6-20M/sec usually and will likely cause slow loads for something like MySQL.

For a reference on how to setup a tmpfs volume, click here.

Cheers!

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @TheLinuxBug said:
    If you have some memory free and your not using a very large database, I suggest creating a tmpfs volume and storing the DB files in a ram disk and using that instead of SD card. Most SD cards don't really read over 6-20M/sec usually and will likely cause slow loads for something like MySQL.

It's probably wiser to just offload SQL (or run the website on a real server, as suggested). Storing the database in a ramdisk without proper planning is asking for data loss.

• Offload the SQL, Pi's can serve static sites OK but not dynamic.

• How can I Offload the SQL?

• @raysmta said:
    How can I Offload the SQL?

Host the database elsewhere.

• @raysmta said:
    How can I Offload the SQL?

try creating an SQL database on another server, then on your forum software.
    Instead of using localhost to connect to SQL, input the other SQL server's ip/name.

• But where can I, any free suggestions?

• The place where ping diff between your server and SQL host is least. And has a good SSH or HDD in raid.
    Keep backup.

• What I meant was, are there any places which do this for free?

• @raysmta said:
    What I meant was, are there any places which do this for free?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+mysql+hosting

• I guarantee you that 1 of them won't work, this is because the Pi/My PC will refuse the connection.

• Get some free cPanel hosting, setup MySQL then use the remote mysql functionality inside cPanel.

• Use 000webhost (free) to host your website, problem solved.

• There's yearly webhosting offers around for less than 7 dollar a year...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

raysmta said: I guarantee you that 1 of them won't work, this is because the Pi/My PC will refuse the connection.

So you bump the thread after less than 30 minutes, want us to do all the work for some silly forum you're trying to host a Raspberry Pi, and want resources for free.

You can imagine how excited people here are to help a quality participant like yourself.

Spend $5-10/year for shared hosting and put your forum there. If it runs on a Pi it will run on shared.