Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted Exchange from OVH, is it worth it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted Exchange from OVH, is it worth it?

I am too busy these days to secure & manage my own email server hence looking for a secure & reliable hosted email solution. OVH's hosted exchange caught my attention but is it really worth it in terms of security, reliability & protection that they claim? Is there any particular restriction for which I should not sign up for that service?

OVH's Hosted Exchange
  1. Is OVH's hosted exchange worth it?43 votes
    1. Yes
      37.21%
    2. No
      62.79%

Comments

• It should be a solid service, though it is not very cheap as usual with OVH.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • orditeckorditeck Member
    edited February 2015

Not sure if I'd go with OVH as the support doesn't seem good... I'd probably go with Fastmail, Rackspace, Google (no Exchange but solid apps) or Microsoft.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

I would rather go with Rackspace. Awesome support. Fast and reliable service. You will not go wrong with Exchange from Rackspace!

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • orditeck said: Not sure if I'd go with OVH as the support doesn't seem good

In my experience, OVH's support is top notch. We get pretty quick responses from them, whether its an emergency situation or just a simple question about something that isn't time sensitive.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • The support from OVH for real OVH services is quite good. You can't compare it to the support from SYS or kimsufi.

My last incident ticket was answered in 28 minutes.

Thanked by 2vpslegend NickM
  • @NickM said:

You might be the one guy ever to say ovh has top notch support

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    I would rather go with Rackspace. Awesome support. Fast and reliable service. You will not go wrong with Exchange from Rackspace!

@orditeck said:
    Not sure if I'd go with OVH as the support doesn't seem good... I'd probably go with Fastmail, Rackspace, Google (no Exchange but solid apps) or Microsoft.

@William said:
    It should be a solid service, though it is not very cheap as usual with OVH.

Yes quality of the product is more important to me than cheap pricing. Only reason to not consider RackSpace or other US based companies is my own way of protesting against unnecessary surveillance & depriving people the right of privacy. Although it doesn't make much of a difference these days after the incidents that have happened in last couple of months but would prefer an EU based company over a US one.

• vpslegendvpslegend Member
    edited February 2015

@NickM said:
    In my experience, OVH's support is top notch. We get pretty quick responses from them, whether its an emergency situation or just a simple question about something that isn't time sensitive.

@Jonchun said:
    You might be the one guy ever to say ovh has top notch support

@boernd said:
    The support from OVH for real OVH services is quite good. You can't compare it to the support from SYS or kimsufi.

My last incident ticket was answered in 28 minutes.

Not sure how true it is but this is from what I have heard:

OVH support >>> SYS support >> KS support

and

OVH US/CA support > OVH EU support

• If you don't require Exchange and regular ol' IMAP is fine, take a look at MXRoute. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/42432/mxroute-e-mail-hosting-new-packages-new-feature

Thanked by 1jar
  • mikeyur said: take a look at MXRoute.

+100 for MXRoute, @Jar is doing a great job so far :D

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • Won't work for him - He said he does not want US/CA based.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2015

@William said:
    Won't work for him - He said he does not want US/CA based.

I moved out of the US for you and now you hate on Canada too :P

Should I find a jungle in Africa and run a cable to a tree that I've carved in the shape of a rack? ;)

• The problem is now not your server location (anymore); it's your place of business - You are still inside the US and subject to US law, even if your server is with Canada (which you are right, i don't like much either).

Move to Europe (or to Canada) and open something hosted inside the EU (or inside Europe) and you're golden with new customers that value their data.... there's reasons why many (like OP) would rather use something like OVH without US base.

It's nothing against you or your service (which i would really love to use, i hate administrating my own mail) but you are simply subject to US laws.

Thanked by 2jar vpslegend
  • @William i think you should be more worried about EU laws than about US laws...

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

After what @William has been through I actually would be in that forest in Africa living in a tree if I were him ;)

• rds100 said: @William i think you should be more worried about EU laws than about US laws...

Side by side compared the EU at least has no gag orders that prevent the ISP from disclosing it has been taped - There's some other favourable differences as well.

But yes, in the end it's true - One reason why my mail is in Liechtenstein.

Thanked by 2rds100 vpslegend
  • I have used Hosted exchange (not at OVH) for around 5 years, and late last year, I changed to Office 365. You can mix all sorts of plans under one account, and the price is so low as $2/mo for the lowest plan.
    Then you always have an updated "server" i the cloud, with the newest software.
    You can also have plans that have Office in the cloud, you can have plans that gives you Office for the desktop etc etc.

My old host had not followed with the time, and extras like active sync, fully hosted exchange for all devices, large mailboxes (at Office365 you get 50 GB) was very expensive.

You can start with a Office 365 Business Essentials account, thats $6/mo by mo payment.
    That account can be used for 300 users, all with different plans. From the Kiosk plans that cost $2/mo to Office 365 Business Premium @ $15/mo to to plans with lots more features.

So i would have done the math on the OVH plans and your needs, and Office365 plans.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • jhjh Member

I use OVH for Exchange, having moved from Rackspace. It's just as good at half the price.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • Just got my OVH Exchange setup and I've got to say it's very good.

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited March 2015

I'd also consider myKolab if I was willing to pay for email.

There are also other up and coming "secure" mail providers from Germany and Switzerland. I can't remember the names right now.

As for the surveillance debate, I guess it's too late. There always will be a way for prying eyes to watch over the masses, if not your mail than the tubes it goes through, that are tapped. But I still prefer non-US first just to not have accomplices like Google make money off me.

But ultimately/at this rate, I guess there's no point anymore. :(

• I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd update as I came across it in a google search and it's still relevant. With a Microsoft Business Essentials account it's only $5/month vs $6 with OVH. Same 50GB storage and backed with Microsoft's Technical Expertise it would be hard to beat. I have accounts at OVH, and the support is slow. Waiting 2 days to resolve an issue with an account. I'm going to MS next time I move.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Relevant how exactly ? Enough to wake up 3 year old thread ?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @Clouvider said:
    Relevant how exactly ? Enough to wake up 3 year old thread ?

For people stuck in 2015 this is solid advice.