Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about load averages
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about load averages

Hi,

Quick query regarding load averages

I've got a vps with 1GB ram, 1 core, openvz and ubuntu 14.04.1
It's recently been getting load average spikes of up to 3-5 for a few minutes every so often.
It doesn't correspond with either CPU or IO usage (according to top and iotop)

I'm only using it as a learning exercise so it's got webmin/virtualmin with a couple of test websites that only I access. Even if I disable the webs and/or disable webmin it still spikes.

Can my load averages be influenced by overuse by other vps containers on the same node?

Cheers for any pointers.

Dan

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

It is possible for your load average to be impacted by others if the load average on the host node is high enough.

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • @Awmusic12635 said:
    It is possible for your load average to be impacted by others if the load average on the host node is high enough.

I thought so.
    So if some user(s) are hammering theirs or if the node is oversold that could be the cause?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@alaningus it is possible. Though be completely sure it isn't you before ticketing

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    alaningus it is possible. Though be completely sure it isn't you before ticketing

;) yeah, cheers, I'll do that. It's an ovh classic and I know their ubuntu images had a problem in them that caused high load until they were tweaked so it may just be a few untweaked vps.

• On openvz it's easily possible and should also be easily resolved, ticket ASAP.

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

You are probably on an extremely oversold node. Open a ticket and ask to be moved.

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • @Hassan said:
    You are probably on an extremely oversold node. Open a ticket and ask to be moved.

If a host is overselling that hard, I doubt they have nodes that aren't oversold anyways.

Thanked by 2Hassan alaningus
  • DH22DH22 Member
    edited February 2015

I too have a load average question. I recently got a dedicated system with a good i3 cpu, 2 SSD in raid 1 running Windows Server 2012 R2 and ubuntu 14.04 64-bit VMs in hyper-V. Running a java based game server.. VM has plenty of RAM and access to all 4 cpu threads results in consistent load of 1.5-2.0 while it hangs around 0.05 on most VPS I have used. Not much else running on the system so shouldn't be affected by something outside the VM. Should I be concerned?

Most of the VPS hosts are quad core but many times old xeons which I don't think would be any better than a newer i3. Seems really strange to me. Web and MySQL servers in separate Hyper-V VMs on the dedi also usually remain around 0.05 or less load average. Only the java based game server which uses very little CPU brings up the load to abnormal amounts.