Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to install Virtualmin on a IPv6 only server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to install Virtualmin on a IPv6 only server?

Hello. My focus is IPv6 theese days, and I have come a long way. Now I can setup VMs in Hyper-V using static IPv6 addresses, and they can connect to the internet, and I can connect to them from home. So all is working great. But of course, if I want to download something from a page, repo etc, the site has to have IPv6.

So, my next issue, and I have really search good on Google after a solution, but have not found any. How to install Virtualmin on a IPv6 only server?

The installation stops right away:
[root@ipv6test2 temp2]# wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh --2015-02-09 19:16:14-- http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh Resolving software.virtualmin.com... 108.60.199.107 Connecting to software.virtualmin.com|108.60.199.107|:80... failed: Network is unreachable. [root@ipv6test2 temp2]#

Then I got the bright idea to download the install.sh file to one of my own servers, there I have enabled IPv6, and that worked.
But of course...the install.sh file pull files from software.virtualmin.com all the time, and the installation stops again.

I started downloading some files, making my own filestorage, but it's to much files.
And what when they upgrade Virtualmin...and I do a new installation. Then maybe something brakes.

So, do anybody know about any mirror or something to Virtualmin that work with IPv6?
Or have a good solution to this issue?

Comments

• If you wait about 20 minutes I'll send you an sh script with the repo pointing to an IPv6 enabled server.

• Never used Hyper-v, but what I do in proxmox is to add an additional network device to the v6 only VM using NAT mode, that way the VM has access to ipv4.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited February 2015

Actually scrap 20 minutes the Virtualmin mirror is slower than I thought.

I'll put a link here when it's done ~30 minutes

List any other repo's you may need and I'll get them done too :P

I'm building a large mirror btw and want to provide as much as I can

Thanked by 1myhken
  • I found IPv6 mirrors to my other repos I use. I just got a reply on Virtualmin forum, telling me that it's not possible to install virtualmin on a IPv6 only server.
    But looking forward to trying out your files.

• @earl said:
    Never used Hyper-v, but what I do in proxmox is to add an additional network device to the v6 only VM using NAT mode, that way the VM has access to ipv4.

Stupid Hyper-V has no NAT mode...Just External, Internal and Private.

• @myhken why not run the host on Linux and then create KVM VM to run windows off?

Best of both worlds ;)

• Update to my repo, it's going to take a few hours min. The mirroring started at about 30MB/s and now it's averaging around 20KB/s I think I've been limited. I'll try find another one.

If you want to do it yourself a temp solution would be to proxy the virtualmin mirror or connect your VPS to a VPN.

I would recommend using Proxmox though over Windows Hyper-V

• Personally if your dev enough for v6 only you shouldn't be using panels

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Personally if your dev enough for v6 only you shouldn't be using panels

But, but lazy!
    Yes I am referring to myself here...

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @wych said:
    myhken why not run the host on Linux and then create KVM VM to run windows off?

Best of both worlds ;)

Maybe my next project. I have a test server at Hetzner now, just for testing different setups. When I have got the IPv6 subnet with DHCP to work (Hetzner has promised to look at their guide and make adjustments tomorrow).
    After that, I can put Linux on the server, then use KVM?
    But how, what software do I use. And it has to be free of course.

• @wych said:
    Yes I am referring to myself here...

Yes I am actually developing my own panel to reduce work and increase laziness also did you get my PM?

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Yes I am actually developing my own panel to reduce work and increase laziness also did you get my PM?

No, no PM from you.

• @myhken said:

@myhken said:

I was talking to @wych :P I sent him a idea earlier

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    I was talking to wych :P I sent him a idea earlier

Replied, sorry had 101028474 things to do today.