Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help: Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V. Want to use my IPv6 subnet from Hetzner.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help: Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V. Want to use my IPv6 subnet from Hetzner.

myhkenmyhken Member
edited February 2015 in Help

I have had lots of post lately, but I'm on a roll, doing lots of things I don't have tried before and this forum is really the best forum to ask all my "stupid" questions. I can think many of you roll your eyes when you read about my next issue.

I have now two servers with Hetzner. Working 100%, everything OK. Both servers has 3 extra IPv4 addresses, and both has three Virtual Machines created with Hyper-V.
Both servers are using Windows Server 2012 R2 as OS.

I have one IPv6 /64 subnet to each server. I want to use it, so I can create more VMs, only using IPv6.

My IPv6 settings is:
Main IP 2a01:4f8:xxx:xxxx:: /64
Gateway: fe80::1
DNS:
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::

I have tried following this guide, and have done most of the steps, but it will not work.
I have had a friend that uses lots of IPv4 subnets on Hetzner to look at it, but he could not figure it out. So I really hope somebody here has the solution. (if it's at all possible?)

My main server is using a IPv6 address from robot, with their gateway and DNS, and it's online on IPv6 also, and I can connect to the server (etc via RDC just with the IPv6 address).

The issue starts when I try to create the subnet, so VMs can use it.

What we have done so far:

This one, but of course with IPv6 and not IPv4

Using this: (sorry for the Norwegian text, but you get the picture)

Then the next step in the guide, here is my setup, all done correct:

The next step:

Then things starts to be very different from IPv4 and IPv6 setup.

And I can't seem to understand where or what to do with this info:

Hetzner routes the IPv6 subnet on the respective link local address of the server (fe80::/64). Therefore, to be able to use the above mentioned setup for IPv6 for your virtual machines you will need to make the following configuration changes

Give the external interface the first address of the subnet ::1/128, with the gateway fe80::1 Give the virtual switch the second address ::2/64, without a gateway Give the virtual machines the following consecutive IPs and use the IP of the virtual switch as the gateway (::2)

Do anybody here has a better IPv6 subnet guide for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V then Hetzner have, or can explain to me what I'm not understanding.

Comments

• Nobody that has a clue on this issue? Sorry for bumping the thread.

• I know this thread is old, but can anyone else help me? I am stuck with the same issue. But i cant even get it to work from my Windows VM.

I have managed to get this far: I can ping the IP of the VM from the hyperV host (but intermittent, works for 10 seconds then stops for 10 seconds). That on a continuous ping. Very strange.