Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with first lowendbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help with first lowendbox

LinuxNewbLinuxNewb Member
edited August 2012 in Help

I'm about to purchase my first lowendbox. I want to use it as a private proxy. Thinking of a sock5 proxy through ssh but would rather use squid. can a 128mb box handle squid for a single proxy user? 'm looking a vpscheap right now.
Also what distro should I use Debian seems popular also the smallest. 32bit debian 6 ok?

I am a complete newb with linux/servers. I'm nota complete idiot and fairly good with computers I program in windows and know some electrical/computer engineering. I worked on a project in ubuntu once and tried getting arch up on VM(did nothing with it) but that's as far as my linux experience goes,that means no real terminal experience,etc..
Any tips/advice resources and books about linux/unix and servers/networking would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Also i have owned a VPS before ,although it was windows and i know php/MySQL
    not that it should matter i think

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited August 2012

I recommend you read over this thread which has several scripts to help you get up and running.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I think squid shoud be able to run on 128MB. I personally run it on 256 MB VPS. I generally can do a test for you tommorow if I have time. Runnign some optimisation scripts should be able to get the memory usage to under 10MB, than Squid will have plenty of RAM.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • hand made scripts always got me in trouble.
    they change php.conf name , usernames that deomons use, and i cant find usefull infos in the net cos they all chanced the names of conf files or moved them somewhere...
    minstall's nginx gives error about ssl, php not starting after install bla bla bla .

leb setup script, cant copy my ssh-key to the server, (cos i dont have one??)

should be easy but they are pain in my case..

this is best tutorial for lighttpd web server thats all i know.

noob

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited August 2012

I like to use installation script (like minstall, centmin, or LET script) first. It helps me to understand how the installation / service works. And then I'll install the service / apps manually without scripts because it gives me more confidence

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • Do you want proxy only?
    Squid would be your friend :)
    Go with VPS Provider offering working/native IPv6, and you can set your Squid to browse IPv6 websites too :)
    128MB OpenVZ would be enough, just choose your required bandwidth

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • I personally prefer polipo+stunnel more, light RAM usage and less fussy configuration files.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@LinuxNewb said: I want to use it as a private proxy. Thinking of a sock5 proxy through ssh but would rather use squid.

http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=828&sid=4db1ee6e487018b2413591e1ef072290

For ssh socks proxy.
    Squid will work, but if you are not paying attention you might end up with an open proxy, i recommend first the ssh tunnel which can serve both as socks and http proxy making squid unnecessary.
    Any ram will work for that, get the 32 ram offer for 50 cents from Damian in US and the 50 cents offer from Prometeus in EU.
    M

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • I would actually recommend doing the same thing with Putty, that way one doesn't have to install 2 different tools.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
    edited August 2012

Tunellier has terminal too.
    Setting up with putty is a bit more complex, that is simpler because ppl are familiar with that kind of point and click interface. Whoever used some proxy software before can do it.
    M

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb

Its also point and click

Thanked by 2Zen LinuxNewb

I know what you are saying but, in practice, ppl fear putty for some reason. Looks too scary and black, dunno. Putty was my first choice too when I was explaining ppl live on messenger how to use the vpses i was putting up for them, but somehow I kept failing.
    In the end i install some hosting panel and everything is fine, while for vpn tunnelier works at the first try...
    M

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • wow thanks everyone. Really appreciate the input some very relevant content put up.
    I think i will get a couple of boxes and do some testing.

@Alex_LiquidHost would love to see a test.

@Maounique looked around and I can't get either 50 cents plans. when does Prometheus stock? Also does Damian still offer his 32mb plan I read about the issues but couldn't figure out if he is simply grandfathering the service for previous buyers or still offering it.

About Damian, i know he is not only offering 32 MB plans after the move, but he increased BW.
    Prometeus dunno when will restock, but if you pm prometeus or write in forum, will probably get one.
    M

• nvm i can order from Prometheus but i forgot to mention i'm looking for US ips.
    I'm still considering it but looking for US locations mainly.
    How do i get the 32mb deal? I don't see it on IPXcore.com should i just message Damian?

• Dynamic SSH Tunnels tunnels all connections into one single SSH pipe which may result in performance degradation.

• While we are at the topic of proxy, anyone know how to setup squid with VPN for split tunneling?

Eg: my browser goes through proxy (transparent proxying, I think, I'm not sure what's the right proxy type)so traffic doesn't go through my VPN which is fully routed. While other application like my skype, irc etc etc goes through VPN?

• @cosmicgate
    while I am a noob in regards to the topic I don't think that is possible.
    A vpn isn't a proxy its s a network your computer is connected to. You could layer a proxy on top of the vpn but all traffic gets routed through the vpn.

A solution would be using a sock 5 proxy and simply applying it to ports/applications you want instead of a system wide thing like a vpn.

take my input as my inexperienced opinion not fact. Anyone please correct me if i'm wrong so my knowledge is corrected.

Yes, so, taking the ssh tunnel VPN, you set it up and put the applications which have to have VPN IP go through proxy (socks or http, both work) and all the others you dont set up proxy for, will go through you regular route.
    For example, @cosmicgate, you can set your browser go through proxy, either http or socks, and skype you don't set proxy into.
    I think skype uses the proxy you set in internet explorer, not sure since i dont use, so install another browser to use for VPN and leave ie for non-vpn traffic.
    M

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited August 2012

Thanks @maounique @linuxweb.

I know how to do it with ssh. I was just wondering if it's possible to do VPN+proxy setup, ie: setup VPN with internal LAN ip 10.0.0.0/24 then setup a proxy server to serve as transparent proxy/socks for 10.0.0/24 to go through port 1080. By default once I connect to VPN, all application will use vps ip but for the ones I want to skip eg: browser, I just have to put in squid ip/port in chrome/IE so my browser will use my direct home connection(instead of going through VPN)

• edited August 2012

Here is my Squid 2.7 squid.conf :

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/pam_auth
    auth_param basic children 5
    auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
    auth_param basic credentialsttl 4 hours
    acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
    http_access allow password
    forwarded_for off
    auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid/users_passwd
    acl ncsa_users proxy_auth REQUIRED
    http_access allow ncsa_users

Add those lines on top of squid.conf, and set the http_port to your desired port.
    And change forwarded_for off/on as you want. It's for ip forwarding.

Then you can use the vps IP+http_port for browsing the internet, and each time you connect to internet you will be asked for username and password

Thanked by 1cosmicgate
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2012

@LinuxNewb saidlooked around and I can't get either 50 cents plans. when does Prometheus stock? Also does Damian still offer his 32mb plan I read about the issues but couldn't figure out if he is simply grandfathering the service for previous buyers or still offering it.

Mate, if you still want one and Damian will allows the transfer, I have an IPXCore 32mb plan that I bought but never used and probably won't need - it's paid up until 26 September, and you can take over the billing after that.