Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi B+ as web host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi B+ as web host?

Well I have a Raspberry Pi B+ and I am currently running a small web on it, but I am deciding to run a bigger website on it, and upgrading to 32 GB MicroSD Card ( Already tried it and it works ). So will it be stable to run my gaming community website, it will just be forums like my current website? And my internet speed is also quite fast.

Comments

• RooticalRootical Member
    edited February 2015

It can support a very low traffic website on a decent internet connection. Something heavier, such as a forum with a database would probably be better served by something more powerful.

• @raysmta said:
    Well I have a Raspberry Pi B+ and I am currently running a small web on it, but I am deciding to run a bigger website on it, and upgrading to 32 GB MicroSD Card ( Already tried it and it works ). So will it be stable to run my gaming community website, it will just be forums like my current website? And my internet speed is also quite fast.

Providing its in a DC its fine

• So it's fine right?

• @raysmta said:
    So it's fine right?

As has been said, it's fine, if it in a data centre. Running it from your home, maybe not so much.

• @raysmta said:
    So it's fine right?

Should be how many visitors per day? and where is MySQL database hosted + what webserver

• MySQL Database might be hosted on a different machine.
    And I don't know yet how many visitors

• @raysmta said:
    MySQL Database might be hosted on a different machine.
    And I don't know yet how many visitors

Use lighttpd or nginx

• Why do you want to use a Raspberry Pi for that? Don't get me wrong, I love this little piece of technique, but there are better and cheaper options out there to host your website.

• Well, I have a Raspberry Pi lying around, so why not use it :D Haha

• @raysmta I see :P

• @raysmta said:
    Well, I have a Raspberry Pi lying around, so why not use it :D Haha

@Nomad allows donations

• ty for your suggestions!
    You guys rule!

• NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

Haha, yeah, I am open for donations indeed... Thanks for the mention @TinyTunnel_Tom

• @Nomad said:
    Haha, yeah, I am open donations indeed... Thanks for the mention TinyTunnel_Tom

Hehe :P might be able to work something out for you :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Nekki said: As has been said, it's fine, if it in a data centre. Running it from your home, maybe not so much.

A crappy slow unreliable SD-card remains just that even in a data centre.

Connect and move root FS to an HDD, and even "at home" with a decent connection it'll be fine.

• crappy solution. Only good for testing. DB will suck with such configs.

• @Me_B - I am running a webserver on it right now, it's been up for nearly a month and I have faced no problems? So why would there be a problem now :?

• @raysmta,

Probably because CPU and HDD wise it is limited. It has only 1gb ram and you can't add more. You can't run anything heavy. Except for static websites, it is not a good hosting platform. You can't even guarantee the uptime like as in a real server.

If you want more HDD, the solutions other than SD-Card tend to be slow due to 10/100Mb/s Ethernet and USB 2 interfaces. So you can't try using HDD as an alternative when it lacks RAM. Any database will be slow. You can't run most of the power-hungry systems and expect a smooth browsing experience for a lot of visitors.

So yeah, as a web server it is not a good solution.
    But for home purposes, development stuff or Static website/dns/proxy server uses it is a cheap and good solution.

• @Nomad said:
    raysmta,

Probably because CPU and HDD wise it is limited. It has only 1gb ram and you can't add more. You can't run anything heavy. Except for static websites, it is not a good hosting platform. You can't even guarantee the uptime like as in a real server.

If you want more HDD, the solutions other than SD-Card tend to be slow due to 10/100Mb/s Ethernet and USB 2 interfaces. So you can't try using HDD as an alternative when it lacks RAM. Any database will be slow. You can't run most of the power-hungry systems and expect a smooth browsing experience for a lot of visitors.

So yeah, as a web server it is not a good solution.
    But for home purposes, development stuff or Static website/dns/proxy server uses it is a cheap and good solution.

Not 100% true. Put it this way I can run Nginx off a 150MHz machine (valuevz) it can handle users easy with its 5GB HDD. He is also using a Pi 1 AFAIK so its 512MB RAM - 16 min for GPU 496MB Ram can do a lot. HDD wise it isnt that bad tbh. You can plug a USB stick or HDD in and the performance isnt that bad providing you keep the drive spinning or it has horrid wake up times.

• So, can anyone tell me haha, is it a good idea?
    The current website I am running has 23 Members on it and so far they had no problems, I get 7+ Users online a day, without any problems.

• edited February 2015

@raysmta said:
    So, can anyone tell me haha, is it a good idea?
    The current website I am running has 23 Members on it and so far they had no problems, I get 7+ Users online a day, without any problems.

A pi can run that easy

• So it is?
    I don't understand.. It's 50/50 some people say no, some say yes. TinyTunnel what's your suggestion, I would really love to use it :/

• @raysmta said:
    So it is?
    I don't understand.. It's 50/50 some people say no, some say yes. TinyTunnel what's your suggestion, I would really love to use it :/

If MySQL is on another server then it can run it easy. You're getting 7 users PER DAY! A raspberry pi can handle that easy. 496MB of RAM and 700MHz for 7 users a day is more than enough

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

Again, HDD, or a desktop SATA SSD (in USB-box) will make worlds of difference, performance-wise and also in reliability.

SD cards have crappy random write performance and they wear out easily under load.

Move to an HDD and it'll work well for you: http://blog.krastanov.org/2014/01/30/booting-pi-reliably-from-usb/

• @rm_ said:
    Again, HDD, or a desktop SATA SSD (in USB-box) will make worlds of difference, performance-wise and also in reliability.

SD cards have crappy random write performance and they wear out easily under load.

Move to an HDD and it'll work well for you: http://blog.krastanov.org/2014/01/30/booting-pi-reliably-from-usb/

I just mounted my USB to /var/www

• Not the best Idea, but possible.

There's webhosting deals around that's cheaper than the colo / cost of the Pi / Shipping.

And is on better hardware.

• I would recomend Monkey WebServer + PHP-FPM and SQLite. Here on LET you will find a script for Debian that will make the setup for you.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • You can use a raspberry Pi for a webiste, http://pi.interworx.com/ runs on a cluster of raspberry Pi's in their dc.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom,

Sure, it can run nginx great. You can use the ram for caching as well. Especially for a low traffic site like @raysmta has, it wouldn't cause any problems. Well, he basically doesn't have any visitors at all.

But for high traffic sites, or websites that need a lot of mysql code to run by which I mean like a WordPress site with thousands of views per day; considering the hardware, it may be a bit sluggish.

But as for a static site with nginx, I think it'll run just smooth. And since nginx capable of caching it'ld handle some traffic as well.

One might want it for it's low cost price, privacy, energy efficiency and if there's a decent host, for low cost of coloration.

As @rm_ also said, sd card is a bottleneck. But sure, a USB stick might as well do.

Still, i'ld prefer it for personal sites, portfolio sites, sites that doesn't need with a lot of hdd i/o, sites that'ld run from cache and for vpn/proxy/dns server purposes.

Not being a virtual system you can use the CPU as you wish and you can have privacy, you wouldn't need to worry about other eyes as much as other solutions.

• @Nomad said:
    SNIP

High traffic sites I wouldnt trust with one machine any way.