Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Low End Backup Server

Low End Backup Server

SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
edited August 2012 in Providers

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'm assuming it is :)

We've be searching for a decently priced backup server, that I plan to use for SolusVM FTP backup use. The best price I've found so far is from FDC Servers, http://fdcservers.net/specials.php. I'm looking at "Backup Server 2", (E5200, 4GB RAM, 2x2TB HDD, 1Gbps Port) for $99. It seems like they have pretty good reviews, but I'm here to see if there are any places that may offer a better deal than FDC.

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

Comments

  • RandyRandy Disabled

    as far as i know Solusvm automated backup is a failed system

    get OVH if you large disk space (ofcuz shitty connections)

  • Choopa had a 8TB backup server deal for $60/month, not sure if its still available

    Thanked by 1SimpleNode
  • RandyRandy Disabled

    @FTN_Kevin said: Choopa had a 8TB backup server deal for $60/month, not sure if its still available

    THIS is a good deal! :)

  • SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • @Randy 100mbit is a shitty connection?

    Junior Pen Tester

  • RandyRandy Disabled

    @eastonch said: 100mbit is a shitty connection?

    there are lots of abusers in OVH, i cant really expect much from it

  • Holy shit FDCServers is expensive... $299 for setup of a 2TB disk? I'd rather build my own server and colo it.

    Junior Pen Tester

  • @Randy I'm getting LITERALLY capped 100Mbits on my kimsufi, there are abusers, but only on Kimsufi :]

    Junior Pen Tester

  • @eastonch Yeah, their base prices are good, but their upgrades are really expensive.

    SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • RandyRandy Disabled

    @eastonch said: @Randy I'm getting LITERALLY capped 100Mbits on my kimsufi, there are abusers, but only on Kimsufi :]

    i see.

    @SimpleNode said: Yeah, their base prices are good, but their upgrades are really expensive.

    what is your budget and specifications?

  • @Randy Something around $100. Basically as much storage as I can get at that price, and hopefully something located near/in Dallas.

    SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • flyfly Member

    i've moved off my backups server from fdc to hetzner with hw raid. a lot cheaper, too!

  • bdtechbdtech Member
    edited August 2012

    FDC backup server special 1 is really cheap. Can this only be used as backup? Otherwise its enough power for some nginx/php

  • Or just get a Kimsufi for 18 dollars.

    Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
    Thanked by 3rm_ djvdorp tux
  • SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited August 2012

    @bdtech said: FDC backup server special 1 is really cheap. Can this only be used as backup? Otherwise its enough power for some nginx/pph

    Additional HDDs are $229 for 2TB :/

    SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • @SimpleNode said: Additional HDDs are $229 for 2TB :/

    Sounds totally reasonable. Have you checked the HDD prices lately? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136579

    -

  • @rds100 said: Sounds totally reasonable. Have you checked the HDD prices lately?

    I guess so. I just don't like paying so much for things up front :P

    SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member, Provider

    @SimpleNode said: Something around $100. Basically as much storage as I can get at that price, and hopefully something located near/in Dallas.

    SM Atom D525 board with 2/4g ram SM SC-813 4bay chassis 4x drive of choice - mdadm raid5

    Colo in Dallas is $100 give or take

    Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM KVM VPS / Proxmox OpenVZ VPS- Low Cost Comodo SSL Certificates
  • Thanks, however I think I may just go for that FDCServers Backup server. I haven't really found a better deal.

    SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • CoreyCorey Member, Provider

    @SimpleNode so let me get this strait, you are wanting to backup all of your vps customers to an external network on a regular basis? Hope you have a good connection/plan to pay out the rear end for more bandwidth you don't need.

    BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • @miTgiB said: SM Atom D525 board with 2/4g ram SM SC-813 4bay chassis 4x drive of choice - mdadm raid5

    Colo in Dallas is $100 give or take

    +1

  • @Corey said: @SimpleNode so let me get this strait, you are wanting to backup all of your vps customers to an external network on a regular basis? Hope you have a good connection/plan to pay out the rear end for more bandwidth you don't need.

    This will be for the "Central Backup" function in SolusVM. I don't plan on doing automatic backups - our customers can use the central backup button when they want.

    SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • earlearl Member

    @SimpleNode said: This will be for the "Central Backup" function in SolusVM.

    This is probably the best feature of SolusVM ! it's unfortunate that pretty much all providers have this feature disabled..

  • @SimpleNode my experience shows that maybe 10% of the users actually use this function, although we enable it for everyone. So you probably don't need all that much backup space for this.

    -

  • @rds100 said: @SimpleNode my experience shows that maybe 10% of the users actually use this function, although we enable it for everyone. So you probably don't need all that much backup space for this.

    I see. I kinda expected it to be more popular, as it's a extremely useful feature of SolusVM.

    SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • earlearl Member

    @SimpleNode said: I see. I kinda expected it to be more popular, as it's a extremely useful feature of SolusVM.

    The older offers on LEB use to have this enabled.. I recall chicagovps, newwebsite virpus and alien layer to name a few.. it's just the newer provider's don't have this enabled I guess cause it chews up a lot of resources..

  • There is another problem too. The latest SolusVM installer does not support installing central backup servers. If you don't have an old copy of the installer which supports it - you are screwed.

    -

  • @RDS100 I don't think its supported anyway, hence "Deprecated".

    Junior Pen Tester

  • RandyRandy Disabled

    the backup system is broken? or did anyone get it to work

  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member, Provider

    @rds100 said: If you don't have an old copy of the installer which supports it - you are screwed.

    http://wiki.solusvm.com/Install#Legacy_Installers

    I installed the backup server last night playing around, all works as advertised, still not going to enable it

    Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM KVM VPS / Proxmox OpenVZ VPS- Low Cost Comodo SSL Certificates
    Thanked by 1rds100
  • @miTgiB What one did you use? I tried all of them and they all seem to be missing central backup.

    https://nodedeploy.com | Premium VPS Solutions | Managed

  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member, Provider

    @PhilND said: What one did you use?

    v1 and the central backup is labeled depreciated yet still installs properly

    Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM KVM VPS / Proxmox OpenVZ VPS- Low Cost Comodo SSL Certificates
Sign In or Register to comment.