Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HIPAA hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HIPAA hosting

Can anybody vouch for dedicated hosting that doesn't break the bank and the provider will do a Business Associate Agreement for HIPAA. I contacted reps at Amazon and Rackspace, it's like $1000 and $1600 per month per server.

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

From my knowledge, this wont come cheep. The liability insurance alone will be a massive cost to the host. Remember, if they get breached then they get majorly screwed.

Your probably better off getting a super high security collocation plan, then placing your own gear in the rack.

Thanked by 1ruffrey
  • @pbgben said:
    From my knowledge, this wont come cheep. The liability insurance alone will be a massive cost to the host. Remember, if they get breached then they get majorly screwed.

Your probably better off getting a super high security collocation plan, then placing your own gear in the rack.

Couldn't agree more. If it can be done without breaking the bank, I'd be worried.

• atlantic.net ?

Thanked by 2MCHPhil pbgben
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@hotsnow said:
    atlantic.net ?

Nice find.

• Atlantic looks interesting starting at $429. Has anyone used flip host? They list $79 dedicated servers with 'HIPAA security rule' but don't mention anything else.

https://fliphost.net/dedicated.html

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@ruffrey it is listed because the data center is, doesn't mean flip host itself is

Thanked by 1ruffrey
  • Have a look at Firehost and Liquidweb, I believe both are formally certified. There are plenty of people who claim to be certified for this. Most of the time that is just the datacentre they colo in has the ability to provide that service, which most of the time is in another part of the datacentre to the general cheap colo. Rackspace and HP cloud may also be certified, but not sure.

The key is to get a copy of their formal certification and insurance.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • LiquidWeb.com will be less expensive than Amazon/Rackspace.

• Awesome responses..thanks. Does anyone know about Google? I have Node + Mongo apps. Google seems to be advertising itself as HIPAA compliant these days but it is hard to tell if it extends to their other services.

• @ruffrey said:
    Awesome responses..thanks. Does anyone know about Google? I have Node + Mongo apps. Google seems to be advertising itself as HIPAA compliant these days but it is hard to tell if it extends to their other services.

Don't bother with google with stuff like hosting that requires end-user support. Namely, there's none. I would recommend just sticking with places that you KNOW will work. LiquidWeb may be a very good choice out of all the places that offer this type of compliance.

@MarkTurner said:
    Have a look at Firehost and Liquidweb, I believe both are formally certified. There are plenty of people who claim to be certified for this. Most of the time that is just the datacentre they colo in has the ability to provide that service, which most of the time is in another part of the datacentre to the general cheap colo. Rackspace and HP cloud may also be certified, but not sure.

The key is to get a copy of their formal certification and insurance.

Firehost is an absolute nightmare. Not only overpriced, but their "managed servers" don't include management at all. I'd include screenshots but they're long gone since when one of the companies I work for acquired a company that was hosted by FireHost had to move immediately because of all the problems.

Thanked by 1ruffrey
  • @Jonchun - I have no experience of either of those companies, but have heard their names banded around in relation to HIPAA hosting. But good to know.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Jonchun - I have no experience of either of those companies, but have heard their names banded around in relation to HIPAA hosting. But good to know.

Granted, I don't want to be putting down a company, but across the high prices, terrible support, misconfigured maldet, etc etc, I don't think I'll be ordering from them personally ever. (the experience I'm referring to was from another company)

• Hi,

I'm with Atlantic.Net and we are 3rd-party audited for HIPAA compliance. If you contact sales, they can send you our auditors report.

-mp

• @ruffrey said:
    Can anybody vouch for dedicated hosting that doesn't break the bank and the provider will do a Business Associate Agreement for HIPAA. I contacted reps at Amazon and Rackspace, it's like $1000 and $1600 per month per server.

I also came across Cartika.

https://www.cartika.com/ They charge $500/server (minimum 2 servers). I've sent a couple of PMs to the owner and he is a very reasonable and nice guy. I've looked up his company and they look like they're on top of things as well. I would say this is probably the best deal you can get.