Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it ok to use up memory?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it ok to use up memory?

For CPU, I know that it depends on each provider how much it could be used. But for memory (RAM/SWAP), is it fine if I use it up (or nearly, let's say about 90%) for prolong period of time.

And, will it reduce the overall performance of the VPS if my instance is using like 90% of memory?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

It should be, whatever memory is allocated should be available for you to use.

Thanked by 1PcNy
  • You bought x amount of RAM you should be allowed to use x amount of RAM

Thanked by 1PcNy
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2015

Nearing OOM at all times limits how far you can burst with more activity, depending on how your application works. Going OOM definitely reduces stability and performance. You always want to have more memory than you need.

Thanked by 1PcNy
  • In almost all cases, physical RAM will be mainly cached and not actually "used" per say. Anything over the allocated portion cannot be used anyway.

just issue the command free -m to see what's used, cached, swap, buffer......

Thanked by 1PcNy