Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sooo, what should I do in this situation.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sooo, what should I do in this situation.

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited August 2012 in General

Going to Iran for a few weeks, sucks, dont want to do it, but I got an ill family member.

Anyways, I have two hotels, one has broadband filtered internet, and one has slow unfiltered satellite internet. Torn on what to choose.

Nowadays most ports are blocked as well.

Ideas?

Comments

• I'd say avoid using the internet at all if possible.

• @rds100 said: I'd say avoid using the internet at all if possible.

Yeah... Not going to happen.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

Slow Unfiltered satellite internet while using a RDP server. (you connect to your RDP server using the satellite internet and access your network from there). Or a VNC

• @HalfEatenPie said: Slow Unfiltered satellite internet while using a RDP server. (you connect to your RDP server using the satellite internet and access your network from there). Or a VNC

The satellite company is french, not Iranian, I dont think RDP would work. The connection is actually fast (10mbps) but the ping hovers at 1800ms

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Get the satellite or use tor. You will have slow internet anyway :)
    Or use proxy over port 80 as in my tutorial :P
    M

• Satellite and try to leave as many remote options open to yourself as possible.

• Using slow unfiltered satellite internet (10Mbps) would be very hard :(

• @bijan588 said: Going to Iran for a few weeks, sucks, dont want to do it, but I got an ill family member.

Say hi to H.E Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from me :)

@bijan588 said: Anyways, I have two hotels, one has broadband filtered internet, and one has slow unfiltered satellite internet. Torn on what to choose.

Use the Filtered one and use a very secure vpn such as SSTP/ Https openvpn

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Why not using a encrypted VPN on an open port?

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Why not using a encrypted VPN on an open port?

Yep, follow my tutorial about ssh vpn over port 80 :D
    if that doesnt go through, nothing does...
    M

• @Maounique said: Yep, follow my tutorial about ssh vpn over port 80 :D

if that doesnt go through, nothing does...

SSH Is monitored i believe. And SSTP will get through as will https openvpn. Thats about it

• @Maounique said: Yep, follow my tutorial about ssh vpn over port 80 :D

Setting up an encrypted connection on port 80 is pointless and very easy to filter. If anything, he should put it on port 443.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: Setting up an encrypted connection on port 80 is pointless and very easy to filter. If anything, he should put it on port 443.

I agree. Encrypted openvpn set on port 443.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Setting up an encrypted connection on port 80 is pointless and very easy to filter. If anything, he should put it on port 443.

What port you run something on has absolutely 0 difference whether its encrypted or not.

You can run HTTPS on port 80 if you wish, but the browser won't understand the request.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Setting up an encrypted connection on port 80 is pointless and very easy to filter. If anything, he should put it on port 443.

I think 443 connections are disrupted in iran. When i try to connect with port 443 no traffic is gone through. i use 1195 747 and 809. All seem fine (For now)

• @MrLabradoodle said: You can run HTTPS on port 80 if you wish, but the browser won't understand the request.

And everyone knows that noone runs HTTPS on port 80. Therefor encrypted traffic on that port is extremly easy to spot & block.

edited August 2012

@MrLabradoodle said: You can run HTTPS on port 80 if you wish, but the browser won't understand the request.

I wasnt thinking to put ssl on port 80, just change ssh port to 80.
    If they filter encrypted traffic, then you are somewhat out of luck. No matter what port.

@gsrdgrdghd said: And everyone knows that noone runs HTTPS on port 80. Therefor encrypted traffic on that port is extremly easy to spot & block

And any traffic on any other port is also easy to block.
    If we go that way, he has no chance.
    M

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Why not go with Plans A, B, and C just to be safe?