Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Lightweight VPS Monitoring Tool
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Lightweight VPS Monitoring Tool

PcNyPcNy Member
edited February 2015 in General

I have purchased several VPS instances. Is there any good lightweight tool to monitor them?

Currently the way I check is to ssh to each of them and use command "uptime" to see if servers didn't fail/restarted and still in good shape (not using too much resource). I don't know the exact word/term to call the tool I'm looking for. Please enlighten me.

So basically I need a tool that:

  • can monitor basic stats of VPS instances (more than one VPS) like free memory, CPU load, uptime, issues, etc.

  • web-based so I can view it on mobile phone.

  • lightweight, non CPU/memory intensive. (* important because I'm using low plans)

  • easy setup and fewer package dependency is a plus.

  • nice interface is a plus.

PS: All my VPS are Ubuntu.

Thanks!

«1

Comments

  • rmlhhdrmlhhd Member, Provider

    NodeQuery

    Thanked by 1PcNy
  • Nodequery for hosted and Observium for self-hosted :)

    Thanked by 1PcNy

    I don't have any relation/affiliation with any LET Host, All of my comments are my own
    Simple bash script to clean compromised wordpress site [cPanel/WHM specified]

  • cassacassa Member, Provider

    I think you mean SNMP. Observium supports this. The script is self-hosted, but I can also recommend @0xdragon with http://cloudcommando.com

    Thanked by 20xdragon ATHK

    ik moet poepen

  • NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

    Munin!

    ...
    ...

  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Provider

    I've been working on http://infinitystat.com/ for a few weeks now, should do what you listed :)

    Thanked by 1PcNy

    CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands

  • Inb4 @kacj talks about Observium's reliability.

  • From memory, NodeQuery's website isn't responsive while Observium is, that's something to consider given your requirements.

  • adagios + nagios + pushover.

    notify via android push messages when your servers down

    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to listen" dgprasetya.com

  • @dgprasetya said:
    adagios + nagios + pushover.

    notify via android push messages when your servers down

    I'm looking at using Skype for SMS would be better ;)

    Different.

  • @dgprasetya said:
    adagios + nagios + pushover.

    notify via android push messages when your servers down

    That sounds like a good combination. I like Nagios :>
    Just bought Pushover, will definitely start to use it for several things.

  • I think Observium is a good choice, although it is not that lightweight.
    If you basically need just a quick view on the status of a VPS I would recommend https://github.com/Munroenet/serverstatus

  • @bene_online said:
    I think Observium is a good choice, although it is not that lightweight.
    If you basically need just a quick view on the status of a VPS I would recommend https://github.com/Munroenet/serverstatus

    How lightweight does it compare to other tools? I have some 32MB VPS and 64MB VPS.

    I like what she said, not what it means.

  • The impact on the node is very low as it uses SNMP, but the master on which you run Observium might require some higer specs as the webinterface may be very slow then

  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    I'm looking at using Skype for SMS would be better ;)

    use tropo, twillio, or nexmo :)

    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to listen" dgprasetya.com

  • why not cacti ?

  • Newrelic! You can dropdown for details on each indicator. It also send alert if your server down, use unusual resource, etc

  • I recommend NewRelic too.

  • +1 for NewRelic.

    Thanked by 1nyceyes
  • @Chuck said:
    How lightweight does it compare to other tools? I have some 32MB VPS and 64MB VPS.

    It should be capable of being hosted on a 64MB vps / 32 MB vps might be tight depending on the server. Used to host it on the smallest ramnode yearly with no issues.

    Thanked by 1Chuck
  • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

    @NanoG6 said:
    Newrelic! You can dropdown for details on each indicator. It also send alert if your server down, use unusual resource, etc

    That battery

  • Mun server status, it's like the modified Mojeda script? It's hogging the memory for the viewer from the browsers, but it's the easiest to run.

    Another one would be Botox, or maybe add it with Munin or Log.io

  • @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Mun server status, it's like the modified Mojeda script? It's hogging the memory for the viewer from the browsers, but it's the easiest to run.

    Another one would be Botox, or maybe add it with Munin or Log.io

    BotoX's script is pretty useful, running it but as you say, it really uses too much CPU.

  • @cassa said:
    I think you mean SNMP. Observium supports this. The script is self-hosted, but I can also recommend 0xdragon with http://cloudcommando.com

    Do you use CloudCommando yourself?

    I ordered one of their plans yesterday. No instant activation, and no quick support response about that (during time frame on the site when support is stated to be online).

    Thanked by 1Jonchun
    Monitor your network assets with IPHost (contact me to obtain a discount code)
  • NodeQuery works good for me.

    Freelance System Administrator, available for hire. Primary tasks i do concentrated on: PHP, MySQL, Postgres, Nginx, DDoS-protection, application security, high-performance solutions, high-availability / clustering.

  • @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Mun server status, it's like the modified Mojeda script? It's hogging the memory for the viewer from the browsers, but it's the easiest to run.

    Another one would be Botox, or maybe add it with Munin or Log.io

    I'm working on a patch for that and it will be released in my next update. It has to do with the animation used on the RAM and HDD bars.

  • cassacassa Member, Provider

    @Master_Bo said:
    I ordered one of their plans yesterday. No instant activation, and no quick support response about that (during time frame on the site when support is stated to be online).

    @0xdragon lives in Sydney, so there may be a time difference. Just wait some time, AFAIK he'll do instant activation soon.

    Thanked by 10xdragon

    ik moet poepen

  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited February 2015

    @cassa said:
    0xdragon lives in Sydney, so there may be a time difference. Just wait some time, AFAIK he'll do instant activation soon.

    Working on it :- ) It's not child's-play.

    @Master_Bo said:
    I ordered one of their plans yesterday. No instant activation, and no quick support response about that (during time frame on the site when support is stated to be online).

    My response would be relatively self explanatory.. so to save everyone time, I'll paraphrase! :)

    Support = me. One-man team. Life comes before $6/yr plans. I work as hard as I can. Voila!

    This signature wasted 121 bytes of your data allocation.

    https://nixstats.com/report/56b53d6465689e44598b4567

  • @NanoG6 said:
    Newrelic! You can dropdown for details on each indicator. It also send alert if your server down, use unusual resource, etc

    That looks pretty nice.. Also, you need to charge ur phone.

  • joodle said: Also, you need to charge ur phone.

    Yes I know buddy.. I think my LG N5 battery is broken

Sign In or Register to comment.