Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Throttling disk I/O usage on virtual servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Throttling disk I/O usage on virtual servers

Anyone know if it's possible to configure Disk I/O usage limitations on a Xen or KVM virtual server? For example, I want to throttle the reads/writes per virtual machine to 10 MBytes/sec. KVM (Qemu) is preferred, but I can go Xen if necessary. My host OS is CentOS.

OpenVZ virtualization is out, since I am running CentOS kernel modules that seem to disagree with an OpenVZ kernel.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I hope you are not selling VPS on LET since you'll ended up having a whole bunch of new sign-ups running DD test and see the speed and demand a refund immediately.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2015

These virtual machines would not be for sale on LET or anywhere. This is for my own clients' projects, so one program does not run awry and saturates the host machine.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I have little to no experience in the platforms you mentioned, but I know ESXi can do this :)

• proxmox (kvm) can do this

• @TarZZ92 said:
    proxmox (kvm) can do this

Confirmed

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • proxmox is the way to go.

• proxmox just configures the KVM config file, if you want a basic CP to manage the VM's then go proxmox, if not read up about the KVM VM config file which is where you can set & adjust all the limits you require.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2015

@nexmark said:

How effective is this iops throttling?

Does XenServer have an equivalent capability today?

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

vimalware said: Does XenServer have an equivalent capabilty today?

You have disk access priority. We use ionice on block device when we have abusive customer and when we like to avoid suspension.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/ionice

It is applicable to every PID

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

We also use ionice for Xen. But to differentiate which one should be throttled is another "hard" case.

#ionice PID -c2 -n7 (you can search man page for ionice, or for harder throttling #ionice PID -c3)

• @vimalware said:
    Does XenServer have an equivalent capability today?

Haven't used disk throttling on proxmox yet, so wouldn't know.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • DorkfilesDorkfiles Member
    edited February 2015

Start with process limiting the box, this will slow i/o, but you also want to cap the io right?

vzctl set 176953 --numproc 130 --save

vzctl set 140553 --iolimit 3M --save

Setting iolimit: 3145728 bytes/sec

Or.. to gimp any openVZ container box... lulz

vzctl set 176953 --numproc 80 --iolimit 1M --save

Edit:

Well your not using openvz, so this post is usless.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2015

@AshleyUk said:
    proxmox just configures the KVM config file, if you want a basic CP to manage the VM's then go proxmox, if not read up about the KVM VM config file which is where you can set & adjust all the limits you require.

This is what I'm having trouble finding. The actual KVM (qemu) VM config setting to limit the disk I/O.

I'm okay with installing proxmox, but it would be easier if I could just find the config setting.

• cgroups may be an option.