Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyper-v issue - can't get VMs online (using the main servers NIC)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hyper-v issue - can't get VMs online (using the main servers NIC)

I'm trying to learn something about using NAT etc to have more VMs on one server in Hyper-V. But before I can do that, I want my Hyper-V VMs to just be online, so I can download updates (on Windows and on Linux).
I tried to follows this guide: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/893166/#Comment_893166
And he clearly says that the VMs get internet connection from the main server NIC if you go for a external network in Hyper-V. But no, no one of my VMs gets online.

Of course, the guy in the video can sit behind a router, using DHCP and then all will work of course, like it work at my home server.

Is this the reason, or is there anyway to get my VMs on the internett, just using the main server NIC? I only have one IP on that test server.

Comments

• If you had NAT setted up, try to change the dns server to e.g. 8.8.8.8 inside VM.

I was in this situation like a month ago and this solved my problem.

• I do not have NAT then, for I have tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as secondary.

• @myhken said:
    I do not have NAT then, for I have tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as secondary.

In which manor is the networking done then if not nat? direct ip allocation? If you only have one ip you will have to bridge or NAT.

• @Dorkfiles said:
    In which manor is the networking done then if not nat? direct ip allocation? If you only have one ip you will have to bridge or NAT.

Thats the difference from VmWare I normally use. There I can choose from bridge, nat, host only and custom.
    In Hyper-V I can only choose from External (that he in the guide i linked to, says you should use if the VM are going to be connected on the internet), then you can choose internal, and the Private. The two other options, do the guy in the video says not giving internett connection to the VMs.

I think I will try with Vmware, just to see if I can get a server online there.

• @myhken said:

Virtualbox

• Do you know how to setup a DHCP server and a minimal gateway setting?

Windows 2012 server? Windows HyperV?

• @Me_B said:
    Do you know how to setup a DHCP server and a minimal gateway setting?

Windows 2012 server? Windows HyperV?

Never done it before.

I have now tested with Vmware Workstation, and there I can get the VMs online with NAT.
    Why do not Hyper-v has a NAT setting like Vmware has?

• @Dorkfiles said:
    If you only have one ip you will have to bridge or NAT.

Yes you have to use NAT when you only have one NIC. Most of those guides and MS KnowledgeBase didn't mention this.

• Did you run the virtual router solution?

• @aggressivenetworks said:
    Did you run the virtual router solution?

No, think I will try that next.

• Check youtube for howto nat it's not so hard to setup

Thanked by 1myhken