Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM/XEN HVM has less storage than OpenVZ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM/XEN HVM has less storage than OpenVZ?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited August 2012 in General

Is this a general trend? I understand that the majority of the cost is memory and KVM/XEN would need more memory than OpenVZ. I don't understand how storage is less though.

E.g. looking at Hostigation for example, storage is a lot less of a similar plan. Same for other providers.

Can anyone explain or is it just so happens?

Comments

• @concerto49 said: Can anyone explain or is it just so happens?

OpenVZ pools storage, so if customer A uses less and customer B needs more, the two share, while KVM/Xen dedicate storage to each VPS, so if you use it or not, it is gone.

• For example in our case we offer lower disk on kvm because of the overhead when compared to vz. We use 6x450 sas for kvm compared to 4x1.5tb for openvz. We found that kvm needs more iops and generally for best performance it needs faster disks. Whike we could have gone for 12x1tb its more costly.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited August 2012

@miTgiB said: OpenVZ pools storage, so if customer A uses less and customer B needs more, the two share, while KVM/Xen dedicate storage to each VPS, so if you use it or not, it is gone.

Oh no... but thanks Tim! I mentioned Hostigation and you came to the rescue. Now I just need to find a host with more storage than CPU/RAM to save me.

Trying to setup a database cluster but there are bugs with OpenVZ. Well if anyone can beat Protemeus' KVM5 with 25GB storage, but I'm up for an order. Already a Protemeus customer but it's a cluster :)

• TazTaz Member

@concrete49
    kimsufi can work :P

• @concerto49 said: host with more storage than CPU/RAM to save me.

I do offer added storage on KVM for $1 per 10gb if the node will support it.

• the reason that i might be launching my OpenVZ servers is because its not dedicated and it saves lots of resources, having a skilled sysadmin to watch your servers is a good way to keep things stable. even tho M told me to stay away from Openvz, i cant seem to stop myself from doing it. ahahha

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2012

If Texas is acceptable location for you, shoot me a PM with your requirements and I might be able to get you a good quote for KVM based VPS. Got a brand new node there, still empty and not for sale.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Randy said: even tho M told me to stay away from Openvz

I dont tell you like in an order, it was just a recommendation. You can be lucky and have no problems at all.
    I am curious how will go, I will get one out of curiosity :)
    But I will keep comparing with other VPSes I have in the same category :P
    This IS a threat :D
    M

• :

@Maounique said: I dont tell you like in an order, it was just a recommendation. You can be lucky and have no problems at all.

I am curious how will go, I will get one out of curiosity :)
    But I will keep comparing with other VPSes I have in the same category :P
    This IS a threat :D
    M

could you please provide me your address via PM so i can sent some cops to your house/ :/