Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN on 64MB VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN on 64MB VPS

Hi,

Guys need your advise. Does 64mb VPS support and work smoothly for 5 concurrent users/connections on OpenVPN (Nyr script)

Many Thanks

Comments

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited February 2015

Edit the OpenVPN Server configuration with your most prefered editor

/etc/openvpn/server.conf

Find the following line

;duplicate-cn

Uncomment it so it'll look like this

duplicate-cn

Now more than 1 user can connect with the same profile

If you're wanting to do it the traditional way, I've had more than 5 connections working perfectly fine.

Thanked by 1Farjad
  • i doubt it will be smooth if multiple users are doing alot of torrenting, downloading, streaming - it probably drains the memory.

• @nexmark. Thanks for the tip.
    @Mark_R . Users will mostly do the every day browsing, emails, youtube and minimal downloading.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited February 2015

@hkhan03 said:
    nexmark. Thanks for the tip.
    Mark_R . Users will mostly do the every day browsing, emails, youtube and minimal downloading.

Yeah well, I couldn't tell for sure if its going to be a problem with the OpenVPN technology, i made my prediction in the previous comment based on the PPTP technology - when people initiate active download channels the vpn server will buffer data into the memory before it goes anywhere else (this could be a problem with low RAM), perhaps OpenVPN handles it more efficiently compared to PPTP.

I recommend (only if you can afford to) to get the 512MB package ($4.75/year) from http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/42513/famous-xvm-labs-is-back-in-stock before its sold out, 512MB should be more than enough for 5 concurrent users and gives your server some breathing room to deal with moments that data bursts through at an high rate.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited February 2015

@Mark_R said:

Had 7 congruent connections, on a 64MB OpenVZ... handled fine :)

Was on a trip, some of my friends needed to check emails, browse the web, listen to pandora, YouTube over what looked to be some sort of Shady WiFi_AP

Depending on usage, I suppose.

• 64MB OpenVZ will work fine. Network is going to be your bottleneck, depending on the speed your 5 users are pulling at. Might have a temporary slowdown if someone is trying to stream an HD YouTube video.

• OpenVPN needs only a few 100k per user, 64 MB is ample for 10s of users. You risk a cpu and/or network bottleneck on a node full of other 64MB Vps. That's the only reason to go bigger...

• I've used OpenVPN for streaming video. I barely noticed memory and CPU usage.

• Users aren't an issue, CPU is an issue. Yesterday I set up OpenVPN on TP-Link 842nd (32MB RAM) and I could connect four devices, but the issue was the bandwidth which was only about 16mbps in total with TCP iPerf.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@nexmark said:
    Now more than 1 user can connect with the same profile

This is bad advice, he should only use one cert per user and will not help with the performance at all.

@OP as others said, CPU will be the botneck, not memory.

• Does this mean that it doesn't matter if 64MB VPS or 512MB VPS. As long as it has 1 CPU. Then the 512MB VPS also has issue if 10+ connections?

• Chuck said: Does this mean that it doesn't matter if 64MB VPS or 512MB VPS. As long as it has 1 CPU. Then the 512MB VPS also has issue if 10+ connections?

1 Xeon CPU core and 64MB RAM should be able to serve a lot of OpenVPN connections. :)

@Chuck said:
    Does this mean that it doesn't matter if 64MB VPS or 512MB VPS. As long as it has 1 CPU. Then the 512MB VPS also has issue if 10+ connections?

OpenVPN does use very little RAM. However, I can easily use the 100 % of a (kinda slow) CPU core with a single 100 mbps connection from one client.

There are obviously some optimizations which you can do, but that's it.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @Nyr said:
    OpenVPN does use very little RAM. However, I can easily use the 100 % of a (kinda slow) CPU core with a single 100 mbps connection from one client.

There are obviously some optimizations which you can do, but that's it.

What about SoftEther VPN. Does it use little RAM but high on CPU?

Chuck said: What about SoftEther VPN. Does it use little RAM but high on CPU?

Very high CPU with the default NAT.

• Huh, I didn't know VPN used so much CPU. I had planned on setting up two of my VPSs as a VPN but I don't want to anger any of my hosts. Any suggestions on how to limit or optimize it so it doesn't increase the system load to 1+?