Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10gbps iperf server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

10gbps iperf server

hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

Anyone have access to a server with 10gbps port that I can run iperf test against with?
I am having trouble finding something to test our new 10gbps uplink with..

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

You do know it needs to be pretty close and well connected to your location to reach 10 gigabits, yeah?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • wychwych Member
    edited January 2015

nvm...

• @Nyr said:
    You do know it needs to be pretty close and well connected to your location to reach 10 gigabits, yeah?

iperf can run with multiple threads.

Is that an iperf server?

• @kcaj said:
    Is that an iperf server?

No, my bad...

On that note; I need sleep.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • We've also been looking for ways of testing 10Gbps throughput, as netperf/iperf may have threads, but we do not see the full performance on it. We have also tried between two servers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @GoodHosting said:
    We've also been looking for ways of testing 10Gbps throughput, as netperf/iperf may have threads, but we do not see the full performance on it. We have also tried between two servers.

Have you tried running multiple instances of iperf?

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

running iperf between the nodes we can achieve anywhere between 9.25gbps - 9.8gbps, which is reasonable.

This is more to test the 10gbps performance for our external interface to the internet.

• @hbjlee17 said:
    running iperf between the nodes we can achieve anywhere between 9.25gbps - 9.8gbps, which is reasonable.

This is more to test the 10gbps performance for our external interface to the internet.

What kind of sysctl settings are you using, or driver options, to actually get 10gbps throughput?

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

@GoodHosting,

net.core.rmem_max=16777216 net.core.wmem_max=16777216 net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 16777216 net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 16777216

mtu 9000,
    rx/tx ring buffer = 2048

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

If you just want to test with multiple threads, you could use multi-connection downloader like aria2c

• You're not going to find public 10G iperf servers easily. Even then, the problem/question is what kind of connection is between each hop, any <10G connection inbetween you and the iperf server would render it pretty much useless even though both of you are connected via 10G.

@Nyr iperf UDP mode can be used to test maximum throughput without worrying about latency, though usually multiple threads TCP will do the trick too.

Ping me with your server IP and I'll see if I can help you with 10G testing if I have something that has 10G to your IP.

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited April 2017

Old thread, i know :) Still:

I've just setup a new iPerf3-Server in one of our DCs connected via dedicated 10G.

http://speedtest.wtnet.de

You may want to test it.

For those interested, we're operating AS15943 -> http://bgp.he.net/AS15943

Regards

Florian

Thanked by 3RXWatcher deadbeef mfs
  • I think ping.online.net is hosted on 10G. EU though.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR