Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A dedicated server or multiple vps - which is better?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A dedicated server or multiple vps - which is better?

Hi

To provide hosting (cpanel), they recommend?

Option 1: Dedicated server (with raid1)

Option 2: Several vps (KVM)

The number of accounts that I have cpanel are currently about 600.

Points to consider are:

Provide good performance
Quick recovery in case of failure

Stay tuned for their opinions

Comments

• @shileno said:
    Hi

To provide hosting (cpanel), they recommend?

Option 1: Dedicated server (with raid1)

Option 2: Several vps (KVM)

The number of accounts that I have cpanel are currently about 600.

Points to consider are:

Provide good performance
    Quick recovery in case of failure

Stay tuned for their opinions

Dedicated server with hardware raid 1. and cloudlinux is a must thing.

• One. Big. Fat. Juicy. Dedi.

Done.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Multiple VPS is typically better in the sense that one site won't bring them all down. That said, if it's me I'm not paying for multiple cPanel licenses, I'm going to pack all those things on one big dedi ;)

• Dedicated Server with RAID-10 will be better if you're using SATA HDDs as 600 is good amount of accounts. If those are SSDs in RAID-1 then it's fair.

• In the case of using one dedicated server for all accounts, there is an effective form of backup that allows quick recovery in case of failure.

The subject of backup and recovery is my big question.

PS: I tried R1Soft above and recovery (including individual accounts) is somewhat slow.

• Hmm, not that I know much about VPS recovery but how about creating a VPS in your own dedi and constantly backing up the VPS?

It might save a lot of time in terms of restoring.
    That is of course if we can copy paste and run the image on another server...

I have never gotten into virtualisation yet but that is a question in my mind. Because every time I configure a new host it takes quite some time even with bash scripts.

Members who are knowledgeable about the subject may correct if my way of thinking is wrong but that also seems doable...

Or not?

• A agree with the majority. One big dedi should do the job nicely. It will save you a spending loads of money on cPanel VPS licenses and will make things a lot more manageable with all websites being in one place.

Protect as many websites you can with Cloudflare and get some DDOS protection on the server.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Depends how critical your recovery should be, you can use a vds (Virtual server that has the full resources of the host) that way its just a case of starting the vps on another host

• How about setup a single vps on the dedi, cheaper cpanel, isolation and backups...