Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS6.NET Chicago-25 having constant network disruptions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS6.NET Chicago-25 having constant network disruptions

winstonwinston Member
edited August 2012 in General

I've noticed since August 7th that my XEN512 VPS from @vps6net has been having constant connection drops (several times an hour). By connection drops I mean all network connectivity simply halts for several minutes (anywhere from 3-15). It took about a day for it to be acknowledged as an issue with the node, and not my VPS. I suppose this is understandable as by the time my ticket was serviced the disruption would end (the VPS is $10/mo, I certainly don't expect instant responses).

Anyway, the connectivity drops continued. Come August 10th, Chris Parr said

We have seen this recurring as well. The issue seems to indicate a problem at a higher level than the host server, which unfortunately I do not have direct access to. Our network technicians in Chicago are working as quickly as possible to diagnose and resolve the issue.

That's acceptable to me - they acknowledged the issue and are working on it. I believe Chris said in live chat that it was expected to be fixed within the next day (that may not be correct though - it was late at night and I am fuzzy on this detail).

Come the 11th I am still having this issue. That's at least 4 days of connection drops, and as much as I absolutely love VPS6, this is becoming very frustrating. Chris updates me further on the issue

Yes, this appears to be a switch problem, though it is affecting only this particular host server. We expect to have the problem fully resolved today (if it is not already), and I do not believe it will recur.

It is possible to migrate or rebuild your VPS on another host server, if you would like to pursue it.

I took the day to think about this - would it be worth it? Has the issue been fixed? Yesterday I had a client ask why their site was down, grrr. After that I had decided to have my VPS migrated. Quinn went ahead and entered my VPS into the migration queue (although Chris replied early this morning and said that he thinks Quinn may have put it into the wrong queue by accident and moved it to the correct one).

To deal with my frustration I decided to use Pingdom to ping my VPS at 1 minute intervals and track its downtime. In 1 hour and 20 minutes (maybe several minutes longer), Pingdom tracked 30 minutes of downtime. As of right now, at 10:55am, Pingdom reports 1 hour and 56 minutes of downtime, 82.30% total uptime.

Don't get me wrong - I love @vps6net. The support is friendly and helpful, the network and I/O speed is absolutely amazing - but this "episode" is extremely frustrating, and continues to be. I will continue to host with VPS6.NET but unfortunately I can't let this whole situation go :(.

Below are images of my Pingdom report - note that up until the 11th the check was tracking a website on Cloudflare, not the VPS - so it obviously couldn't see any downtime.

I just thought I'd share my rant here. I found it a little annoying that I was told several times that the issue would be resolved and had returned. Although I do appreciate a free node migration - these guys continue to rock in my book, it's just this continuous outage that is getting on my nerves (and noticed by one of my clients).

Comments

• Dan Fryyy......:P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

What node? Just wondering if I have one on my monitors for a second view.

• winstonwinston Member
    edited August 2012

@jarland ch-25

@Jeffrey huh

I'd like to mention that I don't blame them for this outage as it seems it isn't in their hands. Granted I would've appreciated not being told it'll be fixed 'tonight' and then having it continue to happen :(.

• Have you tried monitoring it with something other than pingdom! Setup a monitoring service else where (Binary Canary or siteuptime perhaps), pingdom can have its fair share of issues.

For instance last month apparently one of my VPSs at another provider went offline for 2 hours according to pingdom, however during them 10 hours It was online, as I was logged into it, and I did check the servers status from multiple locations as well.

• Well every time Pingdom reports it as down I cannot access SSH/HTTP/FTP, isn't that enough confirmation?

• Hello,

I apologize for inconvenience, this has been a rather odd issue that is still being resolved.

Have you been back in touch with Chris or someone else on the help desk to request a migration? Is there another solution that you would like to move forward with? I'd be happy to assist personally, if necessary.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We'll get this sorted for you however possible!

• @vps6net According to Quinn, Chris is dealing with a large ticket queue but will get to my migration shortly. The only solution I'd like to see is my VPS not having 3 hours and 27 minutes of downtime - whether that be the issue resolved or my VPS migrated. The connection drop issue was understandable at first but it's becoming unacceptable now.

• @winston I'll go ahead and steal the ticket from Chris to make sure the migration gets done in short order, then. The downtime is certainly unreasonable, and will be something you are fully compensated for. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

• @vps6net Thank you, getting tired of my inbox looking like this :(

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

got an email about maintenance on c-25

was kinda tl;dr and i dont think im on that node anyways

• @fly said: was kinda tl;dr and i dont think im on that node anyways

haha that gave me a good chuckle!

• My immediate impression is that the connectivity issue affecting ch-25 has now been fully resolved, though I'll wait for our techs to complete their diagnosis before making any guarantees.

• @vps6net said: My immediate impression is that the connectivity issue affecting ch-25 has now been fully resolved, though I'll wait for our techs to complete their diagnosis before making any guarantees.

I got more e-mails from Pingdom at 7:15pm saying it was down and 7:18pm saying it came back up (after the maintenance) - haven't had any more hiccups since then but it's been 20 minutes.

• flyfly Member

pingdom != reliable

Thanked by 1TheHackBox

Use uptime robot. I've got 3 false reports in over a year, all in the same week so probably weird routing.

• winstonwinston Member
    edited August 2012

@fly said: pingdom != reliable

Every time I get the e-mails I check it for myself, SSH/FTP/HTTP were not responding - keep in mind they are spread across 2 different IPs too.

@Jeffrey Don't forget to add that their name was cleared on that ;)

• flyfly Member

fwiw i only cancelled my vps6 service before because IO was getting wacky at times and there was that huge outage a few months back. but i'm back.

Figured out the one I have monitored is ch-24. It has had some issues in the past couple months with brief downtime, but nothing like what you're experiencing on ch-25. In fact, wasn't ch-25 the one that had the big outage last time or was that 22?

Anyway, I've got 99.64% uptime on ch-24.

• @jarland said: In fact, wasn't ch-25 the one that had the big outage last time or was that 22?

You mean when all of the disk dropped out of the RAID array (or something, I have no idea what I'm talking about with RAID)

@winston said: You mean when all of the disk dropped out of the RAID array (or something, I have no idea what I'm talking about with RAID)

Yeah, my memory is starting to get worse these days.

• I've had some annoying intermittent issues on ch-20 (especially managing to knock off a friend's IRC bot a few times) but nothing too major.

On LA-10, though..

PingdomAlert UP: elysium is UP again at 08/09/2012 08:09:06AM. Downtime: 2h 54m.
    PingdomAlert UP: elysium is UP again at 08/07/2012 07:24:06AM. Downtime: 2h 15m.
    PingdomAlert UP: elysium is UP again at 08/05/2012 03:07:06AM. Downtime: 30m.

• @ihatetonny were you able to confirm that these were actual outages?

@vps6net not to bother you or anything but any news on that migration? still no information :/

• @winston said: were you able to confirm that these were actual outages?

I was able to confirm the one on the 9th wasn't a false positive; wasn't able to SSH in or hit via HTTP. Other ones, no; haven't been bothered enough to submit a ticket.

• Wow, terrible network!

• @Jeffrey said: Wow, terrible network!

It's nothing short of marvelous when it's working properly.

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited August 2012

@winston said: @vps6net not to bother you or anything but any news on that migration? still no information :/

Things have been 100% since I last posted a few hours ago. Have you seen any further blips? Of course, we can still complete the migration if you'd like, but this won't be an ongoing issue.

@jarland said: In fact, wasn't ch-25 the one that had the big outage last time or was that 22?

That would have been ch-22, an OpenVZ server (evens are VZ, odds are Xen).

On a side note, OpenVZ is typically far more prone to small hiccups due to client abuse and other issues that are exclusive to OpenVZ, which more than likely caused the minor issues @ihatetonyy noticed. I'd wholeheartedly recommend Xen for anyone looking to cover the gap between 99.9% and 100% reliability.

• @Jeffrey I have to agree with @ihatetonyy, the network is absolutely amazing when it doesn't give me 4 hours and 2 minutes of downtime :@!

@vps6net I must apologize for causing this bad rep for VPS6.NET, this was supposed to be a rant :(.

As far as the migration goes, can we hold off on it for a day or so? I woke up this morning to (literally) 40 e-mails about the network interruptions - if I see any more tomorrow I will be convinced ch-25 is out to get me and will go ahead with the migration :'(!

• @winston Certainly, just let us know via live chat / ticket.

Thanked by 1winston