Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some help, how to get extra IPs to work with Hyper-V?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some help, how to get extra IPs to work with Hyper-V?

Sorry for my many questions thees days, but I have a little project, so I need help from this fine forum.

I have got my Hetzner server up and running with Windows Server R2 (I know most of you hate Windows, but I like it on this project. Using Linux on all other VPS servers I have)
Got three extra IP's from Hetzner, so I have four all together. One for the main server, and three I planning to use on my VMs.

I have then created a Windows Server VM with Hyper-V. There I have manually typed in one of the extra IPs with subnetmask and gateway + I have tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS and I have tried the three DNS servers Hetzner uses on my main server. Still, the VM has no internet connection.

The network card on my main server is running as DHCP, is this the issue? Shall I change this to static IP (using the main IP) and then add the three extra IPs on my main network card?

Or is it any settings in Hyper-V I have to do?

I also have the option the create own MACs for each extra IP, is that something I should do?

Comments

• Not sure but do you not need the host to listen for the IP's too and then route it to the VM?

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @wych said:
    Not sure but do you not need the host to listen for the IP's too and then route it to the VM?

I think I found the solution on Windows VMs (only tested there, Linux is next). I had to generate a MAC in Hetzner robot CP for each IP. Then, I added the MAC in network settings in Hyper-V for that VM. Then it was online after a reboot.

So hoping this will work on Linux as well.

If there is any other (better) way, please tell me. IF not, I'm using what I have found out now.

• @myhken: You can either go with a routed or a bridged setup when using Hetzner. By using a routed setup, your host actually "owns" the IPs and routes them to the VMs. By using a bridged setup, your VMs directly communicate with the DC switches.

As Hetzner locks each IP address to a specific MAC address, your first setup couldn't work. If you stick to bridged networking though, the solution you've found is the correct one. If you'll switch over to a routed setup, you have the benefit that a generic firewall on the host is possible and you don't need to assign all these MAC addresses, however your hostnode is then always going to appear in a traceroute and latency might be slightly higher.

Thanked by 1myhken