Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using LowEndBox as a VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using LowEndBox as a VPN

shroobshroob Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Hello all,

I'll start by saying I'm not very computer savvy at all. So please bear with me.

I'm relocating to China for work soon and would very much like to use an uncensored internet, so I'll need a VPN. I've heard someone used LowEndBox as a VPN, so I have a few questions on the subject. From what I gather, most use LowEndBox as a way to run servers for games.

1) Is it possible to use LowEndBox as a VPN?
2) How easy/difficult is it to work?
3) Has anyone any experience of doing this? Does it work in China?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Comments

• I advice you to buy a VPN account, it is more stable and convenient, and saving money.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15&sid=9739935b91da0e5d0021d16e7c550e4f
    Detailed tutorial for pptp. There is one for OpenVPN too if you wish.
    Pictures and all...
    M

Thanked by 1NanoG6
    edited August 2012

@cnzhhi said: I advice you to buy a VPN account, it is more stable and convenient, and saving money.

I dont think there are many cheaper than 50 cents a month. Plus, you dont know what the host is logging.
    M

• I don't think someone who isn't computer savvy at all should operate a linux server. After all they are responsible when it gets hacked. Better pay someone else to do the management and buy a VPN account from a reputable company.

edited August 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: I don't think someone who isn't computer savvy at all should operate a linux server.

Hum, so ppl which operate windows computers at home and are not computer savvy should just close them because malware WILL get into them much sooner than in a linux server ?
    I dont think so, many ppl write poor PHP code and put it online, they dont operate the linux server, but who cares, sql injection will still work.
    I dont think we should discourage ppl from getting online and learning to operate servers.
    In this case, getting a VPN from a VPN company might be OK, there are some free, there is the Tor network also for anonymity if you dont trust vpn operators, will just be slower, but it is still free.
    I was just replying the question about using LEBs as VPN It is possible, it is easy, just need the right guide, even for ppl that are not experts.
    M

• fanfan Veteran

1) Yes
    2) Easy
    3) Me and many others, pptp is blocked in some places, OpenVPN on a custom port is a better option

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I might have customers who might be using VPNs from China and they might be successful, so I guess it might be possible. ;-)

@fan said: 3) Me and many others, pptp is blocked in some places

pptp might not work for other reasons, such as bad/restrictive NAT, in some cases, the only possibility is to use a http proxy on port 80/443. Make sure it has authentication !
    Another possibility is to use a tunnel over ssh, it is the simplest way, put your ssh on port 80 and it will probably work in any situation.
    M

• @shroob said:

1) Is it possible to use LowEndBox as a VPN?

Yes

2) How easy/difficult is it to work?

If you have OpenVZ, you may have to ask your hoster to enable modules. As for Xen, Inceptionhosting, for example, have a number of pre-made OpenVPN templates (though I have not tested them). Also a link to manual was already posted above.

• If all you want is bypassing internet restrictions on web browsing, my advice is to make use of HTTPS proxy server.

• Thanks for all your replies, it's been very helpful.

Two things, firstly, does this only operate on Linux? I've never used linux before. Secondly, I've been using a free VPN (VPNReactor) which I believe is PPTP, not OpenVPN, and I find that service unreliable, so I think OpenVPN may be a better option.

Thanks again, I'm going to read through all the links.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

The server, in your case a LowEndBox, runs on Linux. Keep in mind that this is a headless system, meaning that you don't have a graphical interface, only a text console.

The client however (the thing that runs on your laptop) is avaible for every major operating system.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited August 2012

I have an OpenVPN server installed on an IPXCore VPS (32mb Ram)

Speed is great:

• @joodle I agree, IPXCore is great for VPNning. However they are on the east coast of the US, the OP should get something on the west coast as they have a better connectivity to China.

• VPS6.NET has a pretty solid network in Chicago, but I have yet to use anything they have in LA. Their pricing is pretty good too, and I'm 99% sure they have tutorials for OpenVPN somewhere in the client area.

• ChanChan Member

The closest VPS you can get to China would be those from Edis in Hong Kong, but if you want to be US geo located you would need an US one. You can try out whether OpenVPN works for you by using a VPN app called Spotflux, which works by OpenVPN and have servers in the US. (to be honest there isn't really anyway to block OpenVPN (possible but hard) so it'll probably work for you without any problem)

@shroob said: Two things, firstly, does this only operate on Linux? I've never used linux before

Then I have the tutorial just for you, no need to know any linux, unless your network blocks port 22:
    http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=828&p=901&sid=e43ca2494df55e0d834877b87866968d#p901
    M

• vps6 is good, sure if you don't mind 50% uptime

• @averell said: vps6 is good, sure if you don't mind 50% uptime

The only uptime issue I've ever had with VPS6 is their switch for ch-25 dropping packets constantly, but afaik that isn't their fault - what bad experience have you had with them

• TazTaz Member

@SHROOB A software I use and you would find better and easy to use,
    SuperHideIp.

• BoGsBoGs Member

If you are coming from the Asia region I would recommend something along the west coast, BuyVM or Hostigation

• The only uptime issue I've ever had with VPS6 is their switch for ch-25 dropping packets constantly, but afaik that isn't their fault - what bad experience have you had with them

uptime

this is only up to aug6, since then it wont boot at all..

• @averell isn't that something you should open a ticket for then?

edited August 2012

@joodle said: I have an OpenVPN server installed on an IPXCore VPS (32mb Ram)

Speed is great:

Double down on 50cents (50MB ram)!
    M

• Never trust the upload speed till uve disabled LZO in the web panel.

• winstonwinston Member
    edited August 2012

@DanielM said: Never trust the upload speed till uve disabled LZO in the web panel.

what is LZO? :o

well, first and foremost, which web panel?

• @winston said: what is LZO? :o

Basicaly Compression And the OpenVPN AS Webpanel.

Actually, my vpn is over SSH.
    M

• @Maounique said: Actually, my vpn is over SSH.

Old Skooool

• @Maounique said: Double down on 50cents (50MB ram)!

Thats closer to you :P
    Would be also closer to me coz i'm from holland, closer = faster speeds right?