Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with an LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do with an LEB?

I learned how to host my own wordpress sites with Virtualmin on VPSs, and also learned alot about Linux. I still don't know very much, but I do enjoy using the Internet. I see people here talking about buying very small LEBs 128MB/256MB to do things like run DNS servers, proxy servers and VPNs. I'm not interested in gaming, but do like watching movies and tv shows. I would like to learn more. I currently have one spare 128mb VPS and am wondering what project I could undertake to learn something more? Any suggestions, and ones with links to tutorials appreciated. I've mostly worked with Centos, but have one Debian Mailbox and I did run a Gentoo server for a while.

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited January 2015

1.) Run DD test

2.) Let it idle

3.) Renew

4.) Let it idle

5.) Renew

6.) Let it idle.

7.) Renew

8.) Let it idle

• MunMun Member

Could build a monitor server: https://github.com/Munroenet/serverstatus

You could also make a small plex.tv box, but you aren't going to be able to transcode anything on that small of a VPS.

• @kcaj said:
    1.) Run DD test

2.) Let it idle

3.) Renew

4.) Let it idle

5.) Renew

6.) Let it idle.

7.) Renew

8.) Let it idle

You forgot step 5.5

5.5.) Run another DD test
    Was it better than before?
    Yes -> move on to step 6
    No -> open thread on LET and complain

• hahha @kacj .... that is me on 99% of what i have.

• Ha Ha. That is what I have been doing! I was thinking of something more productive. Thanks for the smile.

@kcaj said:
    1.) Run DD test

2.) Let it idle

3.) Renew

4.) Let it idle

5.) Renew

6.) Let it idle.

7.) Renew

8.) Let it idle

• 128Mb RAM VPS can handle Observium for monitoring servers via SNMP.

http://observium.org/wiki/Main_Page

• @Vita, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check into it. Also, I'd buy a bigger VPS too. I am most interested in learning new stuff about the Internet.

• @MTUser2012 , if that is the case you can try many use cases but limited to the vps resources . For now What ever you do don't buy anymore. If you fail to resist then you'll end up hooked to yearly / NAT offers and soon dedicated and still the same

Thanked by 2ATHK jemaltz
  • @ehab said:
    MTUser2012 , if that is the case you can try many use cases but limited to the vps resources . For now What ever you do don't buy anymore. If you fail to resist then you'll end up hooked to yearly / NAT offers and soon dedicated and still the same

I'm already there. Chucked mine together in a Load Balancing cluster :P. Currently upgrading cluster to support around ~20 sites (some VMs are IPv6 only with 150MHz and 64MB RAM yet still work!!)

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Load Balancing cluster

interesting ... that i must add to my notes of good to know how. Maybe i'll ask you for some notes or private training sessions : )

• @ehab said:
    interesting ... that i must add to my notes of good to know how. Maybe i'll ask you for some notes or private training sessions : )

Got no homework why not

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited January 2015

You can host websites on it with a reverse proxy or as download server you don't even need a re. pr. Cauz you can make nginx or something listening to an assigned port and link that url. Maybe as backup server as well or for testing... Reverse proxy for another website is possible as well. Or as vpn / proxy...

• I just set up a new LEB (128 MB) the other day with an IRC bouncer, shadowsocks (proxy) and OpenVPN. All fairly easy to install (lots of openvpn tutorials online and Nyr has a script for it). Also makes a quick ssh tunnel for ipv6 with something like sshuttle.

Other things in queue:

• SoftEther - VPN server that supports multiple protocols, I'm still trying to pin down the settings to get this going
    • Subrosa - encrypted messaging and chat
    • Etherpad or a pastebin
    • PaintChat server - I'm not sure if this one will stick, it's old and probably no longer maintained

With multiple LEBs you could probably set up HAproxy or something for your websites.

Some ideas for you :)

• but do like watching movies and tv shows

Well, the only solution to your problem is .. torrenting ;)

Seriously though there's plently of stuff to do on that box you have, if you're interested in programming checkout NodeJS.

• @funyuns_are_awesome Thanks for the link. I was following lincoln's tutorial and got as far as adding a user to the default hub, but still have to read up on how the SecureNat thing works (also first time setting up L2TP/IPsec, as a learning exercise).

When reinstalling a second time I ran into "no permission" errors even running with root privileges, couldn't even change the administrator password anymore. There might be some cruft left behind from the first install so I'll retry in a bit.

• I would run Piwik in there...I always search for a cheap vps in which I can run Piwik Analytics

• @souen said:
    I was following lincoln's tutorial

Lincoln't tutorial worked great for me. I've done it on three servers now. But I used the Local Bridge instead of Secure NAT to get better performance.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NomadNomad Member
    edited January 2015

Local bridge is indeed good but I doubt Softether will run smooth on a LEB. At least if a few people are heavily using it.

You can build your own Seafile / owncloud instance.

You can turn it to a monitoring service.

You can build a proxy.

You can do torrenting.

You can use it for backups.

You can use it for hosting static files.

You can install Softether with dnsmasq and try giving IPv6 addresses to your non-ipv6 computers by VPN connection.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited January 2015

said: I currently have one spare 128mb VPS and am wondering what project I could undertake to learn something more?

Pick one out of email server, web server or dns server. I recommend starting with a dns server. You'll have to read up on how dns works and it's very useful knowledge that will serve you well with the other types of servers as well. Then install bind and learn to configure that to serve as an authoritative dns server for say example.com. Learn how to use dig to query your new dns server and check whether it is working properly. Then try it with an actual domain name (any cheap .info will do). That'll teach you to register custom nameservers at your domain registrar.

After you're done with DNS you can pick another type of server from that list.

I am curious is that avatar really how you look? You must be the oldest person here.

• @bertan said:
    Lincoln't tutorial worked great for me. I've done it on three servers now. But I used the Local Bridge instead of Secure NAT to get better performance.

Made a little progress today, between lincoln's and one on Ubuntu Tutorials I got the SoftEther Linux client connected to the server but traffic isn't routing through it. When I check ifconfig on the client the virtual adapter doesn't have a local network ip, so the setup needs adjustment. Good to hear you got it working though, I might PM you with a few questions if it still won't come together, if you don't mind (to avoid derailing the thread). :)

• @souen. I am not far enough along to get all your suggestions. I did follow the HAProxy link and understand that is very interesting, and I will probably try. Thank you.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @icry. Thanks. I read about Piwik. That looks like something that I could do. I also messaged you about your signature line service.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @ATHK How would you use a vps for torrenting?

• @Abdussamad Thanks. I think I will take your suggestion and start with a DNS server. Yes, that is me in the picture a few (3) years ago. I am 57. Would I really be the oldest person here? That is a title I could wear with pride.

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • @MTUser2012 said:
    ATHK How would you use a vps for torrenting?

I would install Transmission and torrent legal Linux ISOs.

• @icry said:
    I would run Piwik in there...I always search for a cheap vps in which I can run Piwik Analytics

seriously ? I thought piwik consume huge amount of ram.

• @Ryan22 said:

I've ran it previously on an LES. That was only with ~200 visits a day, not sure how far a 128MB box can go.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Ryan22 said: I thought piwik consume huge amount of ram.

Piwik requires MySQL, and MySQL indeed needs quite a bit of RAM. Unless you specifically fine-tune it for a low-RAM situation, but then it might not be as fast as it otherwise would.

• @Ryan22 said:

I have not tried running piwik in a leb...But always wanted to do it....I didn't know that it would use a lot of RAM