Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM SolusVM Templates
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM SolusVM Templates

FilipeFilipe Member, Host Rep

Hi guys,

I'm learning how to setup KVM nodes with solusvm. With this being said, I'm able to boot the KVM VPS, create it, etc, but I'm unable to use the TDN templates from solusvm.

I've already downloaded 2 templates: 1 windows, 1 linux.

I've downloaded both of them to /home/solusvm/kvm/template

I've added them on solusvm as the tdn specifies (swap partition, root password, etc).

When reinstalling, the node doesn't do anything with these templates. I was expecting a sudden increase of I/O requests and cpu usage but it's not doing anything.

I also thought that I would need to decompress the templates, but I'm not getting the correct compression or the image isn't compressed at all, since I'm getting errors like:

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
gunzip: linux-centos-5.9-x86_64-min-gen2-v2.gz: not in gzip format

Can anyone point me out to the right direction? Do I need to decompress them or not? Is there something that I might be missing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Did you put the templates on both the master and the slave?

• FilipeFilipe Member, Host Rep

I haven't downloaded them to the master, but I've created the file using touch. The slave is the only one that have the template

• Actually it needs to be on the master also

• Download it to the master, use the command the SolusVM TDN generates then sync the templates from within SolusVM

• Touching the files on the master is perfectly acceptable. Do not initiate a transfer of course, but would not cause this sort of issue.

Last I used the templates at TDN, they were weird, some worked some didn't. I just made my own after a while.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

What messages do you get in the build log? Admin > VM > Build Log > Load

ahhh, there's an error:

[Jan 29 2015 06:51:40] ########## LOG START ##########
    ERROR => libguestfs not found. Try yum install libguestfs-* linux-centos-5.9-x86_64-min-gen2-v2

I've tried to run the yum install but it says it doesn't exist.

running centos 5.11 on the node.

I can see that centos 5 is very old and should not be used. I'm going to reinstall the node using centos 7 and I'll get back here if I find some more issues.

Thank you all for your input

• @Filipe said:
    ahhh, there's an error:
    running centos 5.11 on the node.

Why not jump to CentOS6?

wych said: Why not jump to CentOS6?

I've beat you to the punch in 1 minute. I've replied that I'll be reinstalling the node with a more up to date system.

Thanks!

• wychwych Member
    edited January 2015

@Filipe said:
    Thanks!

No problem, but looking at the Solus docs it appears CentOS 7 isn't fully supported?

Thanks. I'll make sure I'll install 6 then.

• SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

Yes go with c6 :)