Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who is the best reputation LEB compnay that you can recommand - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

who is the best reputation LEB compnay that you can recommand

Comments

• PatsPats Member
    edited August 2012

@Maounique said: I am sure salvatore expects loyal customers even after death, so be sure to keep us posted about your afterlife.

thats tooo much of expectation Mr Salvatore from your loyal free50mb customers, i demand at least 1 more free for that.. will post afterlife on that.. :D

and anyone tested from up there, hope there's not too much of lag..
    please share your Cacheheaven or Cachehell results :P

• PatsPats Member
    edited August 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: I wish there a Super Computer

This is Super wish..
    this guy works on LEBs here and needs Super Computer there.. :D

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@Maounique said: I am pretty sure most hosts dont spy on customers, but that being said, they could do that in theory by entering your container or xen

Well, actually, if you have KVM or Xen-HVM and encrypt your filesystem, the host couldn't get at your files at all.

On KVM and Xen-HVM the host needs your root password to get access to your server (although since they have access to your virtual hard disk image they can just mount that separately to get at your files, unless of course you have encrypted your filesystem).

As far as system isolation and security, KVM and Xen-HVM are like dedicated servers. The host can see traffic over your network interface and get at your physical/virtual hard drive, and that's about it.

We don't look at what's going on with individual client systems unless there is an abuse issue of some sort, or the client asks us to assist them with something (and if it involves logging in to their kvm system we have to ask for login credentials).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@ramnet yes, all hosts have some sort of internal practice regarding privacy, however, they must obey the law.
    There is one way a user can defend against snooping and this is encryption with password required at boot (not stored anywhere), however, the way to insert that password is through the console and that can be monitored.
    Another attack will be to get the password from memory while the vps is running, and since it is supposed to be running, there is a huge window of opportunity.
    Bottom of line, a determined host can get to your files, whether by own will or forced by the police.
    In practice, this will not happen, unless a very shady host or a rogue employee there (see the famous Linode/bitcoin case)
    M

• I am using SonicVPS.com and Inceptionhosting.com.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@Maounique said: however, the way to insert that password is through the console and that can be monitored.

Generally when you type a password into a Linux based system it is not echo'd back on the screen.

And obviously if you are inserting this password over an ssh session it cannot be intercepted while in transit by the host or anyone else.

If it were me, I'd do an unencrypted / for the os (so it boots normally) and then encrypt the directories/files I'd be using (with password entry over ssh instead of over vnc as would be needed if you encrypted the os bootable area).

@Maounique said: Another attack will be to get the password from memory while the vps is running

Retrieving a password from running system memory is not by any means reliable and not likely to be successful as the password would only be in system memory for a short time (after the system is authorized there is no need to keep the password in memory) and would be intermixed with several gigabytes of other running memory.

@Maounique said: they must obey the law.

Obviously all hosts are supposed to follow the law, however I believe the concern expressed here was regarding the kind of shady host that doesn't follow the law, or was just a concern of paranoia (the "even if my host is honest I don't want that data accessible" mindset).

@Maounique said: Bottom of line, a determined host can get to your files, whether by own will or forced by the police.

Well, there are certain things that can be done to make it extremely difficult to such an extent as to render any attempt at data interception very impractical.

I was primarily responding to the person/people that mentioned that a host can simply console in to any kvm or xen system to access everything. While that is true on openvz systems, on xen and kvm it simply doesn't work like that.

Thanked by 1kampung

@ramnet said: @Maounique said: however, the way to insert that password is through the console and that can be monitored.

Generally when you type a password into a Linux based system it is not echo'd back on the screen.

I was referring to a situation when you have an encrypted system, all but the bootloader which requires a password to boot and decrypt the files.
    Since it is not booted, ssh is not available, you need to insert the password at console, that is a point where it can be intercepted (the java console, which, for example, SolusVM uses).
    I was also replying to the OP in the sense that, yes, in some systems is harder than in others to snoop on user's files, but, since the system is running remotely, it is not impossible for a determined host to get to the files.
    Can be made hard, extremely hard if you are really determined to put barriers, but ultimately, not impossible.
    M

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I don't think any will let you recommand them.

Get it? re-command? ahahha.......

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: There is one way a user can defend against snooping and this is encryption with password required at boot

The major downside to this is that if the VPS is rebooted or crashes for whatever reason then the server stays offline until the password is entered. I ran into this once a looong time ago when somebody hired me to setup their dedicated server, they went to bed and never told me about the boot password so when I rebooted it to the new kernel I lost 12+ hours until they e-mailed me on their lunch break the next day. :(

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@Pats said: if in future httpzoom provides stable-service[if] for more than 2 years and it faces similar turbulance (as faced by ...

They won't face similiar turbulence. They use decent DC and they obviously know what they are doing. With hosts hosted at Rapidswitch (XenVZ... ) I have like one short downtime per year.

It seems like everyone suggest own list of VPSs instead realisticly great, stable, trustable long term vps providers. From my experiences popularity at LET doesn't mean great service by default and many of them still learning how to be hosts. They are nice and active here, people like them but they are far from great hosts.
    I tend to stay with my hosts more than just a year and I tryed most, yeah most providers listed here. Many of them are in reality just average. Decent but far from great. Juggling around LET made many newbs popular but those who really use VPSs and prefer long term stable service know it better..

Thanked by 1Inglar
  • PatsPats Member

@Spirit said: they obviously know what they are doing

true, bashing people around..

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

Actually I see comments from @httpzoom as very calm and realistic. He don't write a lot but when he do he explain why he thinks that way and he's usually right. Just because you don't like this what he said it doesn't mean that he isn't right.

There are two things here:
    1. Great host;
    2. Great host for the money.

Nobody is error free, that is certain, not even the greatest hosts with many-many years of service and 100+ employees, offering 24/7 support, managed services and the like.
    When you hear someone leaked passes, databases, customer data, etc, even if they are a big host with good reputation, it makes you understand that big hosts have other issues too (one of which is that employees can never be trusted 100%).
    I am in the LEB market because I am looking for the second category.
    I cannot afford to pay three times more at Linode, for example, when I can get better service here, more attention to specific problems and whatnot.
    I accept there might be some drawbacks, such as a certain instability, scams, higher failure rates, but I feel that I am getting a better deal overall.
    Sure, feel free to disagree, but I believe LEB provider>established high end provider IF you know how to chose and pay attention to the discussions.
    After all, it depends what you are using the boxes for. If you have your life there, maybe it is better to get redundant internet and big ass UPS and host it at home...
    M

• @Maounique said: Sure, feel free to disagree, but I believe LEB provider>established high end provider IF you know how to chose and pay attention to the discussions.

Either your meaning did not come across right or you are saying if I talk in the right discussions my service will be better. So I'm going to guess your meaning did not come across correctly, cuz my ramblings in the forums have zero effect on my servers.

edited August 2012

I wasnt clear, as usual :P
    I mean pay attention to what customers discuss about host's services and make a decision based on many opinions.
    Alternatively, you can just try around since it is just so cheap and eventually you will find the right host, then you have a duty to inform others with clear facts on the table so they dont have to fish around like you did.
    M

• PatsPats Member

@Spirit said: doesn't mean that he isn't right

he knows himself, you don't have to defend him..

@Spirit said: Just because he don't like Damian what he said it doesn't mean that he isn't right.

[corrected]

@Spirit said: he's usually right

i agree to you, i'm wrong and @HalfEatenPie is also grossly wrong in the previous page.
    Spirit should be happy. Happy Now?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

Hosting is a package deal. Some parts of the package will be stronger than others and clients have the freedom and the ability to weigh which parts are more important. While cost, stability, performance, security, and public image are all just parts (and there are a lot more parts others consider that I am forgetting) it's up to the clients to determine which are more important and which can be sacrificed.

While every company everywhere would love to be the best in all parts, it's not up to the company whether or not they excel in all parts, it's up to the client. Some clients will say company X has excellent performance while other clients may feel it's not enough for thier needs. There is no definitive scale to rate a service since it is all based on the clients opinion which makes arguments about such opinions so painful to watch.

In the end, even with all of the data available at your disposal the company will only be as good as you think they are.

Thanked by 3Zen ihatetonyy Taz
  • CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@Pats said: he don't like Damian

@Pats this is completely incorrect. I have nothing against Damian or his company. I just feel if a member of this community asks a question they deserve a correct answer. Moving DC's 3 times in under a year is not stability and therefore he in my opinion his is misleading the community.

Thanked by 3Zen Spirit Inglar
  • serverbearserverbear Member
    edited August 2012

In my mind there's a number of criteria that users will use to determine how good a host is, however there's also a LOT of hidden criteria that you will not be able to see (which is why there's a proliferation of review websites).

Visible Factors

Website
    Testimonials
    Packages
    Pricing
    Marketing
    Available locations
    Activity on Social Media
    Activity on Forums
    Public reviews
    Handling of downtime
    Coupons available?

Invisible Factors

Length of time in Business
    Server setup & specs (lots of hosts will keep this information invisible)
    Performance
    Uptime
    Ticket response time
    Support staff competence

I'm sure there's more, but you get the idea that this is a complex question that you can't really answer any other way than testing all the hosts that meet your "visible" criteria, then further uncovering the invisible ones.

Here's a good example, I recommended @miTgiB Hostigation to a few friends as they were in the market for something:

They were instantly put off by the image on his homepage, thinking that intially this isn't a company that takes hosting seriously? I mean we really should go with someone more reputable like Hostgator (trolololo).

They had no idea that Hostigations plans have awesome performance (until I showed them our benchmarks), SSD caching & @miTgiB knows his stuff. They also have no idea that Hostgator is now owned by EIG & their servers are probably oversold like crazy with much poorer performance. Prettymuch the blind leading the blind, which naturally forces uneducated people to follow the herd & signup for a reputable "brand."

@serverbear said: I mean we really should go with someone more reputable like Hostgator (trolololo).

I loled :P
    M

• TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

Some day. Some day, One day, Some day,.... Some one, Some how, here at LET will start recommending us. SOMEDAY.........

• @NinjaHawk You'll be in the top 5 UnixBench VPS scores when I get around to adding your plans.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

@serverbear said: You'll be in the top 5 UnixBench VPS scores when I get around to adding your plans.

My HERO!

• PatsPats Member

@httpzoom said: this is completely incorrect. I have nothing against Damian or his company

i agree with you, thats why on the other ipxcore thread also you were also quite supportive and understanding towards Damian..

anyway, doesn't matter what @httpzoom / @Zen / @HalfEatenPie / @dearroy / @I say, OP or any other will do their research..

• PatsPats Member
    edited August 2012

@serverbear said: You'll be in the top 5 UnixBench VPS scores when I get around to adding your plans

That's coool... wow Ninja, your Hawk lifted you up :)

@Pats said: OP or any other will do their research..

Yes, things here are about research. Who comes and expects to have thrown at them the name of the greatest host which gives you money to host with them, is wrong.
    Otherwise, they have all the info needed, provided they search enough.
    M

• @NinjaHawk said: Some day. Some day, One day, Some day,.... Some one, Some how, here at LET will start recommending us. SOMEDAY.........

I will start recommending you next year bro :)

• @NinjaHawk said: Some day. Some day, One day, Some day,.... Some one, Some how, here at LET will start recommending us. SOMEDAY.........

I would really like to try, but I have no use for new VPS right now. And I am working on my leb addiction. But if I do need one someday, I will consider your service.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@httpzoom said: @damian he said stable..... Honestly right now you guys cannot claim http://ipxcore.com/ is stable!

Do you have any experience with them? I do, and know Damian is trying is hardest so I would recommend them too.

• flyfly Member

ipx is pretty sweet.