Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mysql low memory config
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mysql low memory config

sandozsandoz Veteran

does anyone have a good 128mb LEB mysql cnf file?
i tried several online, but i cannot find a good one that really use low memory

Comments

1. Make sure all databases/tables using myisam as storage engine.
    2. Copy /usr/share/mysql/my-small.cnf to /etc/my.cnf
    3. Add 'skip-innodb' under '[mysqld]' in /etc/my.cnf
  • I find performance_schema = off helps

• @mustafaramadhan said:
    3. Add 'skip-innodb' under '[mysqld]' in /etc/my.cnf

skip-innodb never works for me, I have to use, INNODB=OFF

• mv /etc/mysql/my.cnf /etc/mysql/my.cnf.bk && cp /usr/share/doc/mysql-server-5.5/examples/my-small.cnf /etc/mysql/my.cnf
  • i just apt-get install nginx php5-fpm php5-mysql mysql-server

60MB RAM usage with wordpress and the VPS also runs postfix and dovecot

• Honestly? Kick out MySql and go for SQLite.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @bsdguy said:
    Honestly? Kick out MySql and go for SQLite.

Why? SQLite causes my I/O right?

• Running on a 128MB VPS it seems reasonable to assume that we're not talking about any major numbers here (large DB, etc). MySql is a relatively heavy solution and you seem to simply not need that. Accordingly I suggest to go a much lighter way with SQLite.

• Do not upgrade to mysql 5.6 when it becomes available, innodb cannot be disabled in 5.6.

• MallerMaller Member
    edited January 2015

You can disable innodb in mysql 5.6. You just need to specify another storage engine. Etc myisam or aria

• @Maller It's 5.7 not 5.6, disabling innodb is on the way out. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/5.6/en/news-5-6-21.html

However disabling innodb on 5.6 doesn't work if some of the system tables are innodb, actually using Percona 5.6.

• is sqlite compatible with mysql? I have several WP running, and i don't want to convert them to sqlite

• how about the original lea mysql config_

• @sandoz said:
    is sqlite compatible with mysql? I have several WP running, and i don't want to convert them to sqlite

Depends on what you mean by "compatible". No, SQLite is not a 1:1 replacement in the sense of just changing the library and using the same (existing) database files. But yes, it's compatible in that it is about as ANSI compliant as MySql and should be able to provide the same service (on the same machine. Not remotely).

All in all - and I say that friendly, not cynical - if you have to ask such questions, you'd probably be well advised to just stay with what you have.

• anyone can share their my.cnf for lowend usage?

• ATHK said:

skip-innodb never works for me, I have to use, INNODB=OFF

Yes innodb off and set the default engine:

default-storage-engine=myisam

• @sandoz,

Did you tried my suggestion?.