Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with bandwidth left in my home?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do with bandwidth left in my home?

It's a bit wasting and random thought, except doing seedbox/tor-exit(illegal in HK) or some static web hosting, can't really think of any other ideas on utilizing all my bandwidth...

Any ideas on this?

I got a 1000Mbps bandwidth, and an old PC to host some HTML/pics.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

said: tor-exit(illegal in HK)

Tor non-exit then?

Or sell VPN to the China mainland users. :)

• Linux ISO.

• @rm_ said:
    Or sell VPN to the China mainland users. :)

Oh, seems like someone lifted up their "hands" on connections between China and Hong Kong. YES, Hong Kong, is being kinda monitored now. Damn horrible now.

@Chuck said:
    Linux ISO.

How? Not really knowing these kind of things.

• Don't use it. If every domestic internet client everywhere in the world decided to use all their bandwidth the internet would collapse. Residential plans are sold with the assumption that on average only a small percent of the allocated bandwidth will be used.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish ucxo
  • I vote for a non-exit Tor node as well.

@rds100 said:
    Don't use it. If every domestic internet client everywhere in the world decided to use all their bandwidth the internet would collapse. Residential plans are sold with the assumption that on average only a small percent of the allocated bandwidth will be used.

You're right but the fact that OP as an individual decides to use his/her leftover bandwidth won't affect anyone.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

outime said: the fact that OP as an individual decides to use his/her leftover bandwidth won't affect anyone.

It might, but the OP is not obligated to care.

• @rm_ said:
    It might, but the OP is not obligated to care.

It depends of the contract terms though. If it includes some typical "fair use" clause then the ISP might decide to throttle (at very least) his connection if he's using the full bandwidth for a long while. Anyway what I meant is that OP smallest worry would be collapsing internet.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rds100 said: Don't use it. If every domestic internet client everywhere in the world decided to use all their bandwidth the internet would collapse. Residential plans are sold with the assumption that on average only a small percent of the allocated bandwidth will be used.

I would agree in cases like just wasting for wasting sake, for example there were threads here on how to use all ram on a VPS or do dd non stop or put up and down the same files. If it serves a purpose, it is a different thing. It saves it in places where it is more expensive.

Thanked by 2rm_ Infinity
  • lifehomelifehome Member
    edited February 2015

@rm_ said:
    Tor non-exit then?

@outime said:
    I vote for a non-exit Tor node as well.

Humm, time for a non-exit then. =]

• @Maounique said:
    I would agree in cases like just wasting for wasting sake

You can't really waste bandwidth. If he hosts something people will download, the people would downloaded it anyway from some other host. So no extra resources spent. If he uploads files to a remote server just to delete the files again in the server or DDOS people there's no waste.

@lifehome

Isn't that your download limit 1000Mbps?

Your upload speed/quota might be different.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited February 2015

Buy a slower connection if you don't need 1gbit... what is wrong with people these days

• hostnoob said: Buy a slower connection if you don't need 1gbit... what is wrong with people these days

Maybe there isn't a big price difference? Maybe his parents pay for it? Maybe it's included with rent?

• @4n0nx said:
    Maybe there isn't a big price difference? Maybe his parents pay for it? Maybe it's included with rent?

Then so be it, but there's no need to use it just because it's there.

• @kerouac said:
    Your upload speed/quota might be different.

Yes you are right indeed, ISP here in Hong Kong provides only the actual 10% usage to home and business users, unless you live in DCs, you will never likely getting a real 1000Mbps.

@hostnoob said:
    Buy a slower connection if you don't need 1gbit... what is wrong with people these days

I do host a private mirror repo to my Studio, and some other static pages like family gallery, static-file mirror site. So other than Cloudflare are sharing the burden, the main access from my home to Internet is rather important.

In case you might want to advise me offloading it from my home to get cheaper bandwidth, I do have my own VPSes and dedi-box for ensure the elastic load-balancing thing working smoothly.

@4n0nx said:

It's a freaking piece of cake-promotion, and everyone knows it's moist and delicious -- only when you're looking to it, but it's not after signing up the contract.

• You could help out HentaiAtHome by delivering pics in your regio

find more information here -> https://forums.e-hentai.org/index.php?showtopic=19795

Thanked by 1rm_
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

You could help out the Archiveteam
    http://tracker.archiveteam.org/
    Currently they have different project, such as saving all of Microsoft's Clip Art before it gets taken offline.

Thanked by 1lifehome