Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving OpenVZ VPS to different node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving OpenVZ VPS to different node

nimdynimdy Member

How easy should it be for a provider to move a VPS to a different node? I have asked a certain provider (naming no names as yet), who have taken three attempts over the last 12 hours and still haven't got it right. First they said they moved me yet my IP address didn't change (it was a migration to a node in another country), second time it had no internet access (had to serial connection in), the third time they migrated so I could log in but found I was still in a node in the US (I asked for the UK), and now they say they have moved me to a UK node and have given me an IP and showed a ping from their machine but I can't login and can only get in via serial connection where it shows that there is no network interface set up so cannot talk outside the node :(

Comments

• Assuming this is SolusVM, it is a trivial process, even if needing to be done manually via CLI. Granted, moving DC's requires reconfiguring the network, but that should be just as easy.

• Normally moving in the same VLAN (= same country/location) is easy. Moving to another country requires a new IP (Unless it is a very specific backhaul setup) but should not be hard either.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

A migration of an OpenVZ VPS to a new country should take no more than 2 commands via the CLI max. If they cannot get those two commands right then I would suggest going elsewhere.

/usr/sbin/vzmigrate --remove-area yes --keep-dst --ssh="-p <PORT> -i <RSA_KEY>" <NEW_NODE_IP> <VZID>
    /usr/sbin/vzctl set <VZID> --ipadd <NEW_IP> --ipdel <OLD_IP> --save

EDIT: The only "issue" they might run into is that if the node hardware and kernel is really different you may need to turn the VPS off before migrating it... in which case that would add 2 extra commands (stop and start) but still not hard by any stretch of the imagination.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited January 2015

@nimdy said: who have taken three attempts over the last 12 hours

I can be wrong but you should rephrase it "no attempts were made the last 12 hours"

• I'll name and shame. It's We Love Servers. They've sorted it out for me how, after 12 hours of ticket pong pong and a few failed attempts at moving it from node to node!

• Seems like they didn't really know what they were doing, it's very simple and even if vzmigrate fails you can vzdump, scp, vzrestore... :)

IP's are a little bit of a pain, but surely could of been done using a script if they had a large number of boxes to shift.

• VPS4CheapVPS4Cheap Member
    edited January 2015

Hi,
    I have migrated 30+ VPS from Las Vegas to Pheonix almost 2TB data .it took 24hr for migration due to some vps where having large data . Its just few commands work and after transfer need to assign new ips .

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

@VPS4Cheap said:
    Hi,
    I have migrated 30+ VPS from Las Vegas to Pheonix almost 2TB data .it took 24hr for migration due to some vps where having large data . Its just few commands work and after transfer need to assign new ips .

Next time rsync the data first (/vz/private), then the migration would only take a few minutes. Whenever we have a big migrate we rsync the data every night 3 nights before the migration so when we do the vzmigrate command it only takes a few minutes per VPS.

Thanked by 1VPS4Cheap
  • Thanks everyone. They've sorted it now. It wasn't even a configured container - it was freshly reinstalled so no big files. All I wanted was to move to a UK node to that I can use the container as a SSH tunnel while at work. I'm guessing they have some semi-automatic process that doesn't work properly as I've had issues with them before.