Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motivation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Motivation

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
edited August 2012 in General

So, the title describes teh whole discussion - How do you keep yourself motivated at work? I think it is an interested topyc and concerns alot of people.

I am absolutely sure that some time ago there was thread like this, but I just can't find it. And also, there are new members, new thoughts, etc.

Comments

• AsadAsad Member

Reward myself with cake.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Two things motivate me.

1. I hate everything I do. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, if people like it or if they don't. It's never good enough. Everything I do makes me say "I could do better."

2. The biggest motivation for me is when I finally give up and say "I can't do that." When I'm done researching, experimenting, or banging my head against the wall and just decide to quit. Give me an hour and it'll drive me so insane that I cannot sleep, for days if necessary, until I get it.

Neither of those are the most healthy motivators in my opinion, but they constantly push me to do better. I can't imagine being pleased with my work, it's just not in me.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Well personally I haven't really found a good way to motivate me, but I will say this:

1. Try not to have any regrets or any moments that says "I could have done better".

You know... when you're lying awake at night and you reflect on the day and then you're like "I was a total idiot back when..." Yeah. I don't like those.

1. Reward self with something

Whether it be buying another dedicated server with some change money or buying some ice cream, it helps to rewards yourself once you're done with a big project.

1. Hang out with friends

Honestly, if I didn't do what I have to do, I wouldn't have time to enjoy with close friends. I love every second I spend with some of my closest friends, and if I want to get to that then I better finish my work.

• ztecztec Member

Basically the reward, money.
    After I finish a project and launch it and the cash starts flowing in. I feel very accomplished and party for about a week or so. After that I just can't stop optimizing it till the project is dried up.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Thanks for the replys guys :P

Having something in mind for myself and every advise is usefull and will be noted. :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Cult followings

• I'm having a dilemma for one project I've done already, and it was done with full motivation from my side, but then, I couldn't find/decide for the team that will run it (it's necessary), so it stuck for months, and I've seriusly thought of cancelling everything because it's the type of thing that should be done right or be useless. So I had one motivation till the end! But one more type of motivation was missed.

• @ztec said: After I finish a project and launch it and the cash starts flowing in. I feel very accomplished and party for about a week or so. After that I just can't stop optimizing it till the project is dried up.

I personally don't think of money as the reward, just an added bonus for the hard work I did.

• @Nick_A said: Cult followings

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • God.

Colossians 3:23-24
    23And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
    24Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Thanked by 2jar jcaleb
  • My main motivation is the thought that I am doing something for myself, and that I am doing something I am generally interested in. I wish to get better at it, so I can continue to do things that are relevant to my interest to support myself while moving myself in whatever direction I wish to go.

Otherwise, I'd be cussing under my breath working in a restaurant doing dishes or sweating my ass off working in a factory.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited August 2012

When your work is something you love to do, motivation is not hard. Specially when you mix in money =)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@jarland pretty much sums it up for me too, except that I do like what I do.
    That is not great at times because I lose too much time trying to get a thing right, the way I like it and must drop it at some point because cant lose that much time on it, you know.
    I have an MBA but economists here are doing mostly administrative work and I dont like that, as such went to computers and became an admin at the bank first because there were simply too few and too many accountants/clerks to service, so I started fixing things for myself, then ppl near me.
    The boss called once for a very specific task that only an economist with strong computer knowledge could do and imagine a solution. After I did that and solved the problems of hundreds of bank units in the country in 2 weeks, I changed job...
    I must say it was a very good decision, I dont go to work like I have to, I go for fun and because I feel happy to help ppl.
    M

• i get to accept payments everyday:)

• @liam said: When I code, I find the following two help:

Set small goals - this way you will feel accomplished after doing a little amount of work. Keep setting new goals once you have finished the last set.

Switch Off - Have time throughout the day to go for a walk, watch a bit of tv or anything which gets you away from the computer.

Exactly this. It helps me feel accomplished and makes you want to keep going, and at the same time and by taking a little break, it helps you pace yourself and not get tired and frustrated at a certain point.