Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ValueVZ.com review -- 1$/year VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ValueVZ.com review -- 1$/year VPS

Hello,

Today I heard of http://valuevz.com looked a bit dodgy but for $1 why the hell not?
So after paying my $1 PP the server details were sent to me in under 5 minutes so far so good. Ran a few benchmark tests to see what can you get for $1.

Bandwidth

Firstly due to the VPS being IPv6 only it cannot run the freeVPS benchmark tool. But with some modifying I have adapted it to use the LES IPv6 servers to download from (only IPv6 LGs I could think of). The VPS has a 10mbit connection advertised that equates to around 1.25MegaByte per second. And to be honest you should be able burst that easy. So the results are:

Download speed from LES LA: 1.10MB/s  
Download speed from LES NC: 1.02 MB/s  
Download speed from LES KC: 923KB/s  
Download speed from LES FR: 1.13MB/s  
Download speed from LES DE: 1.13MB/s  
Download speed from LES UK: 1.14MB/s  
Download speed from LES NL: 1.13MB/s  
Download speed from LES JP: 1.12MB/s  
Download speed from LES IT: 1.13MB/s  
Download speed from LES AU: 1.12MB/s  

Overall this is quite impressive for me, only one that stands out is KC but they are all the way in US where the VM is in France.
So I re-ran KC via wget and got:

2015-01-24 19:27:44 (854 KB/s) - `25MB.test.1' saved [25000000/25000000]  

Still not bad but not perfect

RAM

Not much to be said other than its there. You get 32MB SWAP with each VM. Personally would prefer more but swap is swap.

Total amount of ram : 128 MB  
Total amount of swap : 32 MB  

CPU

My most dreaded part about this VPS, and to be honest its most likely the worst part of my dollar. It appears to be a Dedibox SC Gen2 or KIDÉCHIRE which as we know are not the best at CPU tasks. Even worse that he only advertises 10% of a 1.6GHz CPU which for those who aren't good at maths is ~160MHz. Which isn't much but again for a dollar you can't really complain

CPU model :  VIA Nano processor U2250 (1.6GHz Capable)  
Number of cores : 1  
CPU frequency :  158.976 MHz  

Disk

Not always featured in reviews but for a dollar why not. I got around my 5GB as advertised but I/O isn't the best but again it's a dollar ffs.
1st run:

I/O speed :  29.8 MB/s  

2nd run:

I/O speed :  29.5 MB/s  

Not lightning speed but at 160MHz this could be why.

root@1dollarvps:~# df -h
Filesystem         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on  
/dev/ploop45789p1  4.8G  313M  4.3G   7% /  
tmpfs               13M   28K   13M   1% /run  
tmpfs              5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock  
tmpfs               32M     0   32M   0% /run/shm  
root@1dollarvps:~#  

Almost 5GB :P

General

Well what can I say its a dollar. It's okay for projects and testing but really with the low CPU not much is possible. But for hosting a website it could work, or maybe a VPN I will report more about possible things to do with 160MHz. Personally only buy if you are not serious about anything you are about to host on it. It could be gone tomorrow but why not for a dollar I can't complain, PP dispute still exists for 180 days so I can have around 3 months or money back :P, I cannot stress that it has no SLA/support so not really a production host.

Another odd thing I noticed was that the VM was active for 1day+ before I purchased it. Doesn't bother me much but odd lol.

And finally there is no control panel for anything, but you can get OS reinstalls via email as described in the welcome email.

Well my fingers are now bleeding from this huge wall of text, but have fun but not too much fun.

Thanked by 2cassa ehab

Comments

• Ha ha.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Sounds Like mtviscool, oh crap.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • it is.

Feel free to facepalm lol xD

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited January 2015

A dollar worth of website design too lol

"Note: this VPS does not come with any sla and is IPV6 only. aka they is no warrenty"

LMAOOO

Edit: How does Paypal accept $1.00 now? I thought there was a minimum amount

• @Dillybob said:
    A dollar worth of website design too lol

"Note: this VPS does not come with any sla and is IPV6 only. aka they is no warrenty"

LMAOOO

I almost didn't buy it for that but its a f*cking dollar

• $1 year lol. He will add 100+ users in this server thats means after some months you will need 30 min to wait untill you login. Good luck anyway

Thanked by 1pbalazs123
    edited January 2015

TinyTunnel_Tom said: I almost didn't buy it for that but its a f*cking dollar

I don't blame you.

I would use it for a FTP service for images to be honest, well worth it. Gyazo is always down and being slow.

This reminds me. Does anyone remember that one hosting site that had like swear words littered all over it, and was absolutely hilarious. They had hilarious prices, etc. They were successful too. I saw them on WHT a few years ago, but havn't seen them.. Or I just forgot their name.

• This VPS has tun/tap enabled?

• @yomero said:
    This VPS has tun/tap enabled?

root@1dollarvps:/etc# cat /dev/net/tun
    cat: /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory
    root@1dollarvps:/etc#

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @Dillybob said:

Not a bad idea. Lets see if apache runs on this f*cka

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Lol, prefer to pay 3 euro and get a real VPS with LES :P

Thanked by 2ATHK Pwner
  • @davidgestiondbi said:
    Lol, prefer to pay 3 euro and get a real VPS with LES :P

Same but a dollar ffs :P

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
    edited January 2015

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Not a bad idea. Lets see if apache runs on this f*cka

You can use faststone capture and setup their FTP settings and upon capturing a screenshot, it uploads it to your ftp server instantly. It's amazing. And to do that for 1$ / year? That's insanely awesome. Without having to wait for shitty Gyazo's servers lol.

I'll buy one later.

• Somewhere is a very happy boy bouncing on his bed with pooh bear, in delight at this review.

Thanked by 3Pwner Mark_R TriDoxiuM
  • this is the $1 project .... the best ever.

• @kcaj said:
    Somewhere is a very happy boy bouncing on his bed with pooh bear, in delight at this review.

You have a very strange mind. However yes I can imagine this xD

• @Dillybob said:
    I'll buy one later.

Does the old and free Faststone version support this FTP thing as well?

edited January 2015

trexos said: Does the old and free Faststone version support this FTP thing as well?

Sadly I don't think so. You can use gyazo in the meantime, just get ready to blow your brains out when you link something to a friend and he cries about it not loading.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    You have a very strange mind. However yes I can imagine this xD

It's not exactly a stretch is it, considering the amount of pictures he's posted of himself with the bear.

• @Nekki said:
    It's not exactly a stretch is it, considering the amount of pictures he's posted of himself with the bear.

Not seen them :P Do remember I am a fairly new LETer

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Not seen them :P Do remember I am a fairly new LETer

Like I said in the other thread, he's a troubled young man. One of his traits is posting pics of himself with pooh bear asking if people think he looks cute.

• @Nekki said:

Currently my 1$ isn't troubled its quite happy :P

• Dillybob said: You can use faststone capture and setup their FTP settings and upon capturing a screenshot, it uploads it to your ftp server instantly. It's amazing. And to do that for 1$ / year? That's insanely awesome. Without having to wait for shitty Gyazo's servers lol.

I'll buy one later.

O.o or just use one of the countless free webspace offers...

• Just download ShareX... Works like a charm.

• At least you are hosted on the Kide, not the crappy 32mb.club node...

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • Run by someone Called Matthew Morgan (18) from cornwall

• linuxthefish said: At least you are hosted on the Kide, not the crappy 32mb.club node...

But.. his Pingdom reports show excellent uptime. He wouldn't ever pause them.. would he?

TarZZ92 said: Run by someone Called Matthew Morgan (18) from cornwall

He isn't from Cornwall, that's a PO Box.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @linuxthefish said:
    At least you are hosted on the Kide, not the crappy 32mb.club node...

LOL xD

• TarZZ92 said: Run by someone Called Matthew Morgan (18) from cornwall

His actual address would be a care home.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Nekki said: His actual address would be a care home.

:O and they allow shit like this.. wtf